Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Abby on a painful reunion

>Subject: Re: Dear Abby on a painful reunion
    From: [email protected] (Lainie Petersen)Date: 11/11/03 4:41 PM Pacific Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>sa [email protected] (Rhiannon) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] ogle.com>...
    Yeah. . .I dunno. I can think of several ways that this might have played out. I guess I could see how someone would be so insipid that they would prefer an accidental rapist over a cheating hubby. What's an 'accidental rapist'? (Is it like "The Accidental Tourist'?) I thought rape was always intentional, one way or another.
    I was kinda being sarcastic, but yes, rape is always intentional.My point was that some women are more likely to understand animpulsive act than they would a premeditated affair.L.
    That's most likely true. But, I'd think a sane woman would be more concerned
    with a sudden violent act, than a pre-meditated act of infidelity. If this
    were true (I'm not at all convinced it is), I'd have moved my kids as far away
    from that man as possible.
    Kathy, born Renee Karyn Racine

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence.
    --Mahatma Gandhi
    Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive
    at that goal.
    --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
      [email protected]omesafe (Kathy T) writes:
      Subject: Re: Dear Abby on a painful reunionFrom: [email protected] (Lainie Petersen)Date: 11/11/03 4:41 PM Pacific Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>sa [email protected] (Rhiannon) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] ogle.com>...
      > > Yeah. . .I dunno. I can think of several ways that this might have > played out. I guess I could see how someone would be so insipid that > they would prefer an accidental rapist over a cheating hubby. > What's an 'accidental rapist'? (Is it like "The Accidental Tourist'?) I thought rape was always intentional, one way or another.
      I was kinda being sarcastic, but yes, rape is always intentional.My point was that some women are more likely to understand animpulsive act than they would a premeditated affair.L.That's most likely true. But, I'd think a sane woman would be more concernedwith a sudden violent act, than a pre-meditated act of infidelity. If thiswere true (I'm not at all convinced it is), I'd have moved my kids as farawayfrom that man as possible.
      Especially before my daughters reached their teen years, eh?

KL
      Kathy, born Renee Karyn RacinePermanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence.--Mahatma GandhiPeace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which wearriveat that goal.--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

[email protected]omesafe (Kathy T) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
        What's an 'accidental rapist'? (Is it like "The Accidental Tourist'?) I thought rape was always intentional, one way or another.I was kinda being sarcastic, but yes, rape is always intentional.My point was that some women are more likely to understand animpulsive act than they would a premeditated affair.L. That's most likely true. But, I'd think a sane woman would be more concerned with a sudden violent act, than a pre-meditated act of infidelity. If this were true (I'm not at all convinced it is), I'd have moved my kids as far away from that man as possible. Kathy, born Renee Karyn Racine
        Oh, I agree with you, but I am not sure that the woman who wrote to
        "Abby" is altogether sane.

L.

Comment

[email protected]8spam (Palms2pines) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
          Lainie's theory:
          My thinking is this: I think that "Drew" seduced the 16 year oldbabysitter. When she got pregnant, she threatened to tell his wifeand expose him. He freaked, and concocted a story of "rape", probablytelling his wife that he was drunk and confused when he did it. He andhis wife probably not only paid for the girls "expenses", but heprobably bought her off in other ways, too. The now-birthmother hasn'ttold her daughter "the truth" about her conception because "the truth"isn't what this wife thinks it is.I will also note that I think this wife is a total dingbat.L.
          I agree, Lainie, that the wife is a total dingbat. However, I cannot imagine a concocted story of rape would go over better than a story of seduction. I am wondering if the statue of limitations has run out for the victim, the then-teen birthmother. The rapist needs to pay for his crime. I hurt for the woman whose life was impacted in such huge ways. She has a case against both the rapist and his wife who harbored the rapist for all these years. P2P

Basic thoughts. Statutory "rape" would be the case even if seduction
          on either part existed. And there is no statute of limitations on
          "rape", it is a capital crime like murder.

SoulWhisper

Comment

In article <[email protected] >,
            [email protected] (soulwhisper) writes:
            [email protected] (Palms2pines) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected]>...
            Lainie's theory:
            My thinking is this: I think that "Drew" seduced the 16 year oldbabysitter. When she got pregnant, she threatened to tell his wifeand expose him. He freaked, and concocted a story of "rape", probablytelling his wife that he was drunk and confused when he did it. He andhis wife probably not only paid for the girls "expenses", but heprobably bought her off in other ways, too. The now-birthmother hasn'ttold her daughter "the truth" about her conception because "the truth"isn't what this wife thinks it is.I will also note that I think this wife is a total dingbat.L.
            I agree, Lainie, that the wife is a total dingbat. However, I cannot
            imagine a
            concocted story of rape would go over better than a story of seduction. I
            am
            wondering if the statue of limitations has run out for the victim, the then-teen birthmother. The rapist needs to pay for his crime. I hurt for
            the
            woman whose life was impacted in such huge ways. She has a case against
            both
            the rapist and his wife who harbored the rapist for all these years. P2P
            Basic thoughts. Statutory "rape" would be the case even if seductionon either part existed. And there is no statute of limitations on"rape", it is a capital crime like murder.SoulWhisper
            Sorry...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there IS a statue of
            limitations for Rape. I believe it varies from state to state, but in Maryland
            it is 3 years, I believe.

KL

Comment

[email protected]unkhell (KL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Sorry...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there IS a statue of limitations for Rape. I believe it varies from state to state, but in Maryland it is 3 years, I believe.
              Quite so. Though I do know that in some states this can be extended if
              the victim was a minor.

Not sure if it would apply in this case, though.

L.

Comment

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
                (Lainie Petersen) writes:
                [email protected] (KL) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected]>...
                Sorry...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there IS a statue of limitations for Rape. I believe it varies from state to state, but in
                Maryland
                it is 3 years, I believe.
                Quite so. Though I do know that in some states this can be extended ifthe victim was a minor.Not sure if it would apply in this case, though.L.
                As I recall it, it can only be extended if the victim didn't have a memory of
                it, then they start the clock ticking at the time of remembering (typically in
                therapy).

KL

Comment

[email protected]unkhell (KL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                  In article <[email protected] >, [email protected] (soulwhisper) writes:
                  [email protected] (Palms2pines) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected]>...
                  Lainie's theory: >My thinking is this: I think that "Drew" seduced the 16 year old >babysitter. When she got pregnant, she threatened to tell his wife >and expose him. He freaked, and concocted a story of "rape", probably >telling his wife that he was drunk and confused when he did it. He and >his wife probably not only paid for the girls "expenses", but he >probably bought her off in other ways, too. The now-birthmother hasn't >told her daughter "the truth" about her conception because "the truth" >isn't what this wife thinks it is. > >I will also note that I think this wife is a total dingbat. > >L. I agree, Lainie, that the wife is a total dingbat. However, I cannot
                  imagine a
                  concocted story of rape would go over better than a story of seduction. I
                  am
                  wondering if the statue of limitations has run out for the victim, the then-teen birthmother. The rapist needs to pay for his crime. I hurt for
                  the
                  woman whose life was impacted in such huge ways. She has a case against
                  both
                  the rapist and his wife who harbored the rapist for all these years. P2PBasic thoughts. Statutory "rape" would be the case even if seductionon either part existed. And there is no statute of limitations on"rape", it is a capital crime like murder.SoulWhisper
                  Sorry...I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there IS a statue of limitations for Rape. I believe it varies from state to state, but in Maryland it is 3 years, I believe. KL

I would not want to live in Maryland then. Where I am from there is
                  none, and no limitation in NY. I didn't know it varied from state to
                  state, I stand corrected.

SW

Comment

Working...
                  X