Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I terminate parental rights of my son's father who moved to Hawaii? Maryland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moburkes View Post
    TPR is NOT a do-it-yourself project. There is no form. A notarized statement has no meaning in the law. Not when it comes to this.

Public policy states that a child has the RIGHT to be supported by BOTH payments.
    Was that a typo? Supported by both payments...

Comment

Originally posted by demartian View Post
      Was that a typo? Supported by both payments...
      Yes, both parents it should have read. Money on my brain!
      Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
        Offering him no support payment sin exchange for TPR may not go over as well as you like. CS is not a bargaining chip. Its morally wrong (IMHO) Not to mention that its my belief (check with an Attorney) that he would still owe what he is in arrears for so he may not be so willing. With him in another state this could prove difficult you should consult with your Attorney on how to proceed. But before anything else ask him if he is willing to give up his rights to his child?
        It's unfortunate, but many women accept to bare the full support responsibility of their children in order to spare themselves and their children abuse from an abusive relationship. Never fool yourselves into thinking that a restraining order always works.

So long as you are not accepting any support from the government and are financially able to offer your child everything, there would be no issues with allowing him to not owe the arrears, that is your choice.

Yes, this would need an attorney.

Comment

It's unfortunate, but many women accept to bare the full support responsibility of their children in order to spare themselves and their children abuse from an abusive relationship. Never fool yourselves into thinking that a restraining order always works.

So long as you are not accepting any support from the government and are financially able to offer your child everything, there would be no issues with allowing him to not owe the arrears, that is your choice.

Yes, this would need an attorney.
          I agree but where was abuse mentioned? Where this case might be different in many cases the fighting former spouses use the children as weapons. This does more harm than good. It is my opinion (and I live by this) that even a part time parent is bettr than no parent at all. I have an Ex who lives 1200 miles away seldom calls kids frequently forgets or is late with birthday cards/girfts as well as Xmas. She was abusive to them in past and has only seen kids three times since our seperation/Divorce in 2000. My wife of now is the Mother she never was and kids call him Mom and often say they wish my wife was their birth Mother. Now they also detest talking to their Bio Mom on phone even though its once a week or less. I however make it clear that they should have a relationship with thier Mother even its a 5 min call twice a month! She owes support and hasnt paid in but three times since court ordered to do so. She di find a means to avoid payments. she even suggested giving up her rights to avoid payments I refused! all that being said ig Father is not willing to give up those rights its not likely you will be successful. You should consult with your Attorney on this and discuss options. I have some other suggestions.

. Dont make this about you anger towards him
          . If you can get payments but feel support isnt needed take th money place it in a fund for your child and use it towards his education or give it to him as a gift once an adult.
          . Let your child decide (when hes old enough) about his relatinship with Dad until then do not deny him his Father.
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

She did mention abuse a few times and his violation of their restraining order which is why I brought it up.

Even with abuse however, no court will take away his rights if he is not willing to do so voluntarily. They would require a step-parent adoption in order to TPR his rights without his wishes and then it would take several years to prove that it is in the best interest of the child.

Comment

None of these are accepted when the child is not in state care and already has acceptable living conditions. As far as the state is concerned, removing your ex's rights is only removing the child support payments that he is required to pay and would in no way be beneficial to your child.

Parental rights and visitation/custody are slightly different. He can still have rights and no visitation...
              Maybe I should just pursue the no visitation, then or supervised visitation. Panther, I am over being angry with my ex. My main focus is and always has been the well being of my son. With my son expressing his emotional problems over his father, I (and my son)don't feel comfortable with his presence. The fact that my 8 year old son asked if his dad had mental problems and suggested he see a psychiatrist because he is always yelling, really worries me. my son had even told me his father said he "likes being mean to people". What type of person says that to a little boy?? I can manage without the child support (it doesn't even cover his daycare costs). My son already realizes he doesn't like his dad from what he's observed. I've never bad-mouthed his father to him, even though his father has cried to my son about me leaving him (which is nuts. my son shouldn't be his dad's shoulder to cry on). If he doesn't want to see him now, those feelings may remain. My son had asked why we divorced. He asked me if his daddy was mean to me like he is t his new wife. I just explained that he did somethings that weren't very nice to me. My son had gone to his school counselor worried that I was going to go to jail, because he doesn't want to see his dad. He shouldn't have to deal with that anxiety. I can just hope he stays in Hawaii. IF his wages are garnished, great. I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

Its not that I dont understand as my former wife and Mother to three of my children has mental problems herself and is actually on SSP because of it. My oldest doesnt want anything to do with her and all three call her "Evil Mommy". she has supervised visits only (when she visits if at all). With all shes done she is still thier Mother and its important to the childrens mental health to have a relatinship with her even if its only on the phone. Good plan seek supervised visits only that will protect your son but encourage phone calls even if they only last minutes.

Comment

I guess I view it differently. I don't think that a child's mental health is dependent on having a parent, especially if that parent has serious issues. There's a difference between an evil step-parent and a parent whose issues run a whole lot deeper (he exhibits symptoms of borderline personality disorder). just like I don't think that getting somebody pregnant, doesn't make somebody a dad. My son's mental health is being affected by his dad, in a negative way. He had told his psychologist he had wanted to hurt himself with a knife because of it. That's what I meant by saying he had been traumatized. He had gotten to that point of thinking about self-harm. My son doesn't want to see his dad and that's his choice. I support that decision 100% and am not going to force him to speak to his dad if he visits, just for the sake of it.

Comment

I had very smilar issues with my oldest and once he realized Mother could not hurt him and began establishing a phone relationship with her his grades went to failing to A's and B's his behavior made a 180 degree turn. I do understand what your saying she just giving my input and by the way his (my oldest) therapist ( he stopped seeing a few years back) agreed it was in all the childrens best interst to have some realtionship with Mother.

Comment

Yeah...see all the professionals that have seen my son believe it's in my sons best interest that he NOT have anything to do with his father. There are a lot of details, I didn't post here. With my son's autism, it makes it a lot harder for him too. He's way more sensitive to a lot of things, than a 'normal' child and things affect him in a much stronger way.

Comment

Let me clarify. I am not saying this is right answer for you I am saying I had similar situation and this is how I dealt with it and it worked. I wish you and your child the best

Comment

Thanks for all your advice and input.

Comment

Working...
                          X