Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Relocation/Custody Question Maryland

Hello,

I'm planning on relocating several 100 miles away from our current home state of Maryland. Presently, I have a child whose father has court ordered supervised visitation due physical abuse inflicted on the child. This supervised visitation has been ongoing for almost 2 years now.

I have always wanted to relocate and since all of my children are school age and my financial situation has changed, I think that this could be a good time for us to finally move. I have attempted to research any MD laws governing the relocation of a child. I contacted the Family Court in Baltimore City with the question, "What is the procedure for relocating a child?". I was simply to to write a letter notifying the court of my plans to relocate and mail a copy to the other parent. My internet research indicates that I must notify within 45 days of my intent to move.

What I need to know is... Can he protest/stop the move? We are already involved in the delicate visitation issue which has not been able to be resolved. Obviously, the visitation order needs to be modified but is there something else I should be doing?

We (the parents) have never been married and paternity has been established.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by I95 View Post
    Hello,

I'm planning on relocating several 100 miles away from our current home state of Maryland. Presently, I have a child whose father has court ordered supervised visitation due physical abuse inflicted on the child. This supervised visitation has been ongoing for almost 2 years now.

I have always wanted to relocate and since all of my children are school age and my financial situation has changed, I think that this could be a good time for us to finally move. I have attempted to research any MD laws governing the relocation of a child. I contacted the Family Court in Baltimore City with the question, "What is the procedure for relocating a child?". I was simply to to write a letter notifying the court of my plans to relocate and mail a copy to the other parent. My internet research indicates that I must notify within 45 days of my intent to move.

What I need to know is... Can he protest/stop the move? We are already involved in the delicate visitation issue which has not been able to be resolved. Obviously, the visitation order needs to be modified but is there something else I should be doing?

We (the parents) have never been married and paternity has been established.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, he has the right to protest the move. It will then be up to the Judge to decide.

Comment

Working...
    X