can i leave home at 17 in Maine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i leave home at 17 in Maine

I am 17 i want to move out of my house and i want to live with my 23 year old boyfriend can my parents make me come home? and can my boyfriend get in trouble for letting me move in?

Originally posted by sylv824 View Post
    I am 17 i want to move out of my house and i want to live with my 23 year old boyfriend can my parents make me come home? and can my boyfriend get in trouble for letting me move in?
    Until you are a legal adult your parents can force you to come home.

Comment

even though theres no law agianst running away ?

In Maine, it's not illegal to be a runaway. Teens can be arrested for being delinquent or violating a court order -- but not for running away.

Assistant District Attorney Patricia Kelly said the only Maine law pertaining to runaways is the Interim Care Law under Title 15 of the Maine Juvenile Code. Under that statute, police can detain a runaway for six hours and notify their parents.

"Unfortunately, there are no laws -- and I don't know of any legislation that's been suggested," Kelly said.

i found this online and it seems like they could only do something if i break a law is that right ?

Comment

Your parents can make you come home, and yes, your boyfriend can get into trouble. Just because no law makes it illegal to be a runaway does NOT mean that your parents cannot come and get you.

What this means is that you have not broken the law by running away, not that you have free reign to live wherever you want.

When you are 18 you can live wherever and with whomever you like. Until that time, your parents control where you live.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

does it make a difference if i am pregnant ? becuse i am 3 months pregnant my parents do not know but they told me last week if i continued to see my boyfriend they wanted me to move out when i said ok they told me i couldnt what can i do ?

Comment

Originally posted by sylv824 View Post
            does it make a difference if i am pregnant ? becuse i am 3 months pregnant my parents do not know but they told me last week if i continued to see my boyfriend they wanted me to move out when i said ok they told me i couldnt what can i do ?
            You can take care of yourself and your baby, eat well and realize that until your 18th birthday, you will be doing what your parents say to do. Your child will do what YOU say until his/her 18th birthday as well.

Get to a doctor and start prenatal planning right away.

Comment

Yes you can. I know this is an old post but take it from a Stepmom and the child's natural mother that found out the hard way that once our daughter also 17 years old ran away from home with a high school freind who is 18 years of age, and female, not male, they ran away to her home. After we brought her home from school to restrict her from anymore contact with this individual who is instigating all this and starting all this from the get go. And has our daughter in her clutches.. we wanted her to stay home with us until she is 18 years old, may 24th she will be.
              We called the Police for a pick up of her and they told us from the ages of 14-17 years of age, there is nothing they can do unless they walk in and there is drugs, alcoholism and/or violence being conducted in that home right then and there. There is not a thing they can do about bringing her home.
              So take it from a parent who knows this.
              You can also be 15-17 years of age and legally drop out of high school.
              You can also be emancipated from your parents as long as you show you are working and living on your own and doing fine from ages 15 -17 years of age.
              Parents have no rights at all.
              Not in Maine.
              Take it from someone who found out the hard way.
              I am currently trying to do something about it in the Legislation to change this law. Because let's get real. Who in Maine is going to hire an underaged child to work for them?
              No one not in today's market. My daughter's idea of work right now is to go to a convenience store and work.
              I just don't get it I really don't.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate it if people would not post to posts that are several years old, particularly when the questions are age related. It really makes no sense to answer a question about what a minor can do at 17, when the poster is now 19 or 20.

If someone else has a similar question, I'm going to make them post it in a new thread anyway, so it's not like your keeping information away from others who might want to know.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
                X