Druggie Ex-Husband wants to see our son Idaho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druggie Ex-Husband wants to see our son Idaho

I have been divorced for five years from my sons biological father, he is now a convicted felon for drug and alcolhol reasons, I currently have a protection order against him for my son and i but we have a court date coming up to determine what vistitation rights he should have. I don't feel he should have any!! He has never paid child support and does not keep a job, he lives in a ran down hotel. I provide a safe and loving home for my son. My boyfriend who I have lived with for four years now would love to legally adopt my son but my ex will not sign over his rights. How can I go about getting his rights terminated or at least make it to where he can't take my son anywhere. Keep in mind the drug my ex is addicted to is Meth and pain pills which a side effect of is severe mood swings. I'm not sure what the laws are in the state of Idaho if you know please inform me.

Originally posted by Trazy28
    I have been divorced for five years from my sons biological father, he is now a convicted felon for drug and alcolhol reasons, I currently have a protection order against him for my son and i but we have a court date coming up to determine what vistitation rights he should have. I don't feel he should have any!! He has never paid child support and does not keep a job, he lives in a ran down hotel. I provide a safe and loving home for my son. My boyfriend who I have lived with for four years now would love to legally adopt my son but my ex will not sign over his rights. How can I go about getting his rights terminated or at least make it to where he can't take my son anywhere. Keep in mind the drug my ex is addicted to is Meth and pain pills which a side effect of is severe mood swings. I'm not sure what the laws are in the state of Idaho if you know please inform me.
    You'll need ALOT of proof that he is a real danger to his child before you can begin to TPR. Since there's a hearing scheduled I'm assuming that your ex wants visitation- so it may end up being allowed. You can request that the visits are supervised, you can also ask the court to order drug testing and parenting classes.

If there is a court order for CS and he's not paying you need to file for contempt. If there isn't any court order for CS you need to file for one ASAP.

Your BF cannot adopt even if rights are terminated, the courts almost always require that the adopting step-parent be married to the bio parent- usually for a minumum of one year before adoption.

Comment

I live in Idaho now and I'm in sort of the same situation, except my ex was in prison the last I heard because he'd stolen a car, was not paying child support, was running from the law and he wouldn't leave me alone. Being so far away, in Texas, they will not do anything to help the person being threatened, but I DID help them catch him for the other stuff and got him out of my life for good (I hope).

In my divorce decree, it states that before my ex can see her (if he had the guts to try) he has to see a counselor and be APPROVED by the counselor before he's allowed to even THINK of supervised visitation with MY daughter. Then, before he can see her - EACH AND EVERY TIME - he has to be free of drugs and alcohol. He has to take a test EVERY TIME! He's useless, the only good thing that come from him was MY Alisabeth. Here's the kicker. On top of the child support - which he's never paid - he has to pay for the counseling. He also has to pay for his time to even SEE her in a supervised visitation facility.

Find an attorney, tell them that is what you want. My attorney was almost useless, I asked for that to begin with, but it ended up being HIS attorney that suggested those stipulations!! What a world. Good luck and stick to your guns!

Comment

Tlgar, this is an old thread and the original poster has not been back since 7-23-06. I know you're new. Welcome. Just check the dates of the last post on the thread before replying.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

Working...
        X