Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emancipation of a minor (Colorado/Delaware)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation of a minor (Colorado/Delaware)

I am a 16 year old male living in Colorado. In a few months however, I will be moving out to Delaware to be closer to my girlfriend. She and I have been talking about renting an apartment. Both of my parents said that this was alright and they will support my decision and sign emancipation papers. I was wondering about how to bring about the process of emancipation. I know I need to be living on my own and be financially self-sufficient. However, how do I bring about the process of emancipation and about how long will the entire process take?

To be honest, I think you should wait until after the move to seek emancipation. However, as a practical matter, CO has a dedicated emancipation statute and DE does not meaning you would have to petition the juvenile court for the status.
    Colorado law under which to petition for emancipation.
    Emancipated Juvenile

Title 19, Article 1

Comment

I want ot be emancipated

I am a 14 year old female living in colorado and I want to be emancipated from my mom and step-dad, they get mad becuase my best friend is 19 and i get in trouble for the littlest things and my step-dad thinks he can tell me what to do, i was sleeping today and he comes in my room and starts yelling at me to clean my room and tells me i dont need that much sleep and not to say i didnt get enough sleep because he went to bed at 1, im FLAT out sick of him and my mom, would it be possible to seek emancipation or no?

Comment

Originally posted by rikkarikkag
        I am a 14 year old female living in colorado and I want to be emancipated from my mom and step-dad, they get mad becuase my best friend is 19 and i get in trouble for the littlest things and my step-dad thinks he can tell me what to do, i was sleeping today and he comes in my room and starts yelling at me to clean my room and tells me i dont need that much sleep and not to say i didnt get enough sleep because he went to bed at 1, im FLAT out sick of him and my mom, would it be possible to seek emancipation or no?
        NO you cannot be emancipated.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkarikkag
          You are 14 and did not list one reason that would remotely qualify as a reason a judge would even consider granting emancipation. If you are living in your step father's house, he DOES have the right ot make you keep your room clean. The best thing for you to do is to show respect to the adult that is providing a roof for you to sleep under. There have been many times I have not let my oldest go to bed or made her get up early to clean up her ginourmous messes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am her mother, not her maid.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

living in oklahoma

yes i am living in oklahoma and I wanted to know if i quilify for emancipation i have been living on my own since last september iam 17 and my fieance is 19 i'm wanting to join the military and i have an job waiting on me but i can not take a drug test with out a parent. I lived with my mom and she kicked me out she said she didn't want me living with her and my step dad, so i moved in with my dad and we dicided that i would do better on my own seemed i was kinda pushed in to it but i want to get emancipated be cause my mom has legal custody and i don't like her having her thumb on me even thought i live in totally different town, so if there is any way i can get emacipated and married and join the millitary so i can get my ged please let me know.

living in oklahoma. burns_23

Comment

living in oklahoma

yes i am living in oklahoma and I wanted to know if i quilify for emancipation i have been living on my own since last september iam 17 and my fieance is 19 i'm wanting to join the military and i have an job waiting on me but i can not take a drug test with out a parent. I lived with my mom and she kicked me out she said she didn't want me living with her and my step dad, so i moved in with my dad and we dicided that i would do better on my own seemed i was kinda pushed in to it but i want to get emancipated be cause my mom has legal custody and i don't like her having her thumb on me even thought i live in totally different town, so if there is any way i can get emacipated and married and join the millitary so i can get my ged please let me know.

Comment

living in oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by burns_23

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emanci.../oklahoma.html

You are probably an excellent candidate for emancipation. Click on the link and it will tell you what you need to know as far as filing in court for emancipation. Good luck to you, and stay safe. (You will need to get your GED or diploma before you join the military. Thanks for wanting to volunteer to serve this country. God Bless)
                  Last edited by mommyof4; 05-18-2006, 01:03 PM.
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  (unique up on him)
                  (same way)

Comment

thank you but do i need to have a parent prestent, cause i went to the court house were i live and they said i had to have an attorney to get emancipated and i can't afford one nor do i have the money to pay to get a temp one i am just confused on what to do.

Comment

thank you but do i need to have a parent prestent, cause i went to the court house were i live and they said i had to have an attorney to get emancipated and i can't afford one nor do i have the money to pay to get a temp one i am just confused on what to do.
                      Yes, you need an attorney (next friend). contact your local bar association to see if they have attys. on rotation doing pro bono or reduced fee work. Your parents do not need to be there. You will have to notify the court as to who has custody of you. Your custodial parent will be notified of the suit, and the pertinent info will be published in the paper. You will also be responsible for paying for the court motion.

How soon will you be 18?
                      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                      (unique up on him)
                      (same way)

Comment

i will turn 18 in october, see i have been fighting my mom about droping custady or giving it to my dad he said he would sign the things i needed signed and what not. but she just stalls and dosen't want to go along with things. she makes things more difficult on me and my fience.

Comment

i will turn 18 in october, see i have been fighting my mom about droping custady or giving it to my dad he said he would sign the things i needed signed and what not. but she just stalls and dosen't want to go along with things. she makes things more difficult on me and my fience.
                          Well, emancipation is not usually a FAST procedure, so you may be better off just waiting it out. Concentrate on getting your GED now, so that when you are 18, you are all set to do whatever you decide to do.
                          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                          (unique up on him)
                          (same way)

Comment

Emancipation in Colorado

There is a 15 year old I know who is being verbally abused by her mother on a daily basis that feels that emancipation would be the only way to fix this issue. Is this even an option? Is there any other way to seperate her from her mother that does not require emancipation? Im very worried for this girl, her mental health has been gradualy declining since the abuse started.

Comment

Originally posted by rikokujin
                              There is a 15 year old I know who is being verbally abused by her mother on a daily basis that feels that emancipation would be the only way to fix this issue. Is this even an option? Is there any other way to seperate her from her mother that does not require emancipation? Im very worried for this girl, her mental health has been gradualy declining since the abuse started.
                              Call Child Protective Services.

Comment

Working...
                              X