Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing up my deck

urf wrote:
    Curious! I just built a deck myself last weekend. Not as large as the one you just did and it is not attached to the house. It spans across a portion of the Koi pond that I added last month. We landscaped around it with river stones and flat wall rocks. It's now possible to actually sit over the smaller of the two waterfalls I built. Not bad for a girly man like me in one weekend. My garden is about 200 hundred yards from the parking area and I have to haul all the materials up from there using a wheelbarrow so it is a really strenuous workout. Fortunately I stay in good shape with weight lifting, biking and rollerbladeing at least 3 times a week. Your right though, it is fun. It gives us a great deal of pleasure. Last night we had diner out in the garden. Listening to the sound of the water against the rocks, the many birds that are attracted to the water and the woods behind our house and enjoying the tranquility of our creation can be quite like a vacation moment.
    Urf:

I'd love to see some photos of your water feature if you have a way to
    post them or send them! We have a modest goldfish pond (about 10 ft wide
    and 20 ft long), and DF has talked about building a deck off the back
    and a little bridge over the pond, and in general working on the
    landscaping in that area a little more. If I can find the cable to my
    son's digicam, I'll try to get some photos up of the new homestead, as
    well. I know I promised some to Cal as well.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"DrLith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected]
      urf wrote:
      Curious! I just built a deck myself last weekend. Not as large as the one you just did and it is not attached to the house. It spans across a portion of the Koi pond that I added last month. We landscaped around it with river stones and flat wall rocks. It's now possible to actually sit over the smaller of the two waterfalls I built. Not bad for a girly man like me in one weekend. My garden is about 200 hundred yards from the parking area and I have to haul all the materials up from there using a wheelbarrow so it is a really strenuous workout. Fortunately I stay in good shape with weight lifting, biking and rollerbladeing at least 3 times a week. Your right though, it is fun. It gives us a great deal of pleasure. Last night we had diner out in the garden. Listening to the sound of the water against the rocks, the many birds that are attracted to the water and the woods behind our house and enjoying the tranquility of our creation can be quite like a vacation moment.
      Urf: I'd love to see some photos of your water feature if you have a way to post them or send them! We have a modest goldfish pond (about 10 ft wide and 20 ft long), and DF has talked about building a deck off the back and a little bridge over the pond, and in general working on the landscaping in that area a little more. If I can find the cable to my son's digicam, I'll try to get some photos up of the new homestead, as well. I know I promised some to Cal as well.
      I'll post them to a yahoo site I use and send you the address. Give me a few
      days though. BTW your pond is larger than mine.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-12, Stephanie <[email protected]> wrote:
        "Tony Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
        I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
        Cool. DH is building our deck. Our last one was on the hairy edge of falling off. It has been described by one of his buddies as so strong we can have a dance party on it. I am waiting for DH to tell me when it will be done so I can schedule the dance party!
        When I went to the building materials place to buy my lumber, the guy
        behind the counter said: "You have *2* beams for a 12x14 deck??? I build
        a 14x16 with only *1* beam." So I figure we can have a herd of cows on
        it.
        And may your knowledge of deck building be rusty before you have to do it again... Or come over our house and help finish ours!
        I'm almost going to miss doing this when I'm done. My next project is
        already lined up. Gutting my garage, rewiring it, and putting up 3/8"
        plywood in place of the unpainted, dirty wallboard that's already there.

-Tony

--
        "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
        to fertilize your lawn!"
        Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
        Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-12, urf <[email protected]> wrote:
          "jwb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
          > Tony Miller wrote:>> I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was>> finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself>> because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly>> out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I>> could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I>> have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done.
          I did not get the original post, but having built my own deck (15x20) 3 years ago, I wanted to congratulate you. I grew up around tools, and was always fairly adept at building/fixing stuff, but I even surprised myself at how well my deck came out. The hardest part, for me, was getting the cement to the back-yard, then into the mixer. Because of our landscaping, fence and such, I had to bring it up a fairly big sloped hill on a hand-truck (4 bags at a time) - maybe 100' total. At 80 lbs a bag (32 total), it was *quite* a workout. I rented an auger for the holes (4'x12" - 6 of em). How deep did you have to put the footings - is 4' enough where you are (I know you're further upstate than I)
          They now sell a precast footer that can be spaced to code and is adjustable for any height. No digging or pouring concrete.
          That's fine if your deck is a floater. I attached mine to my house with
          3/8" carriage bolts. I needed to have deep enough footers to avoid frost
          heave.

-Tony

--
          to fertilize your lawn!"

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-12, AllYou! <[email protected]> wrote:
            I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier.
            Yippeeee! You gals have all the fun. What color is it?
            LOL!!! Nice followup to:

BTW, YHBT

-Tony

--
            to fertilize your lawn!"

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-12, jwb <[email protected]> wrote:
              Tony Miller wrote:> I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was> finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself> because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly> out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I> could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I> have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done.
              I did not get the original post, but having built my own deck (15x20) 3 years ago, I wanted to congratulate you. I grew up around tools, and was always fairly adept at building/fixing stuff, but I even surprised myself at how well my deck came out.
              I just put on the last railing which left me a 45 degree corner to join.
              I followed the instructions on the video I bought, and left a little
              extra, then once everything was in place, ran the circular saw down the
              join and smoothed out both edges. Joined like a dream.
              The hardest part, for me, was getting the cement to the back-yard, then into the mixer. Because of our landscaping, fence and such, I had to bring it up a fairly big sloped hill on a hand-truck (4 bags at a time) - maybe 100' total. At 80 lbs a bag (32 total), it was *quite* a workout.
              I know what you're saying. I bought 4 8" fiber tubes, and each tube took
              about 2 80# bags of concrete, so 8 total. I mixed it up by hand in a big
              plastic tray (that has doubled for my tool carrier after I washed it out).
              I rented an auger for the holes (4'x12" - 6 of em). How deep did you have to put the footings - is 4' enough where you are (I know you're further upstate than I)
              Our town ordinance is 42" (3.5'). I rented a power auger with a 10"
              screw. It looked easy, but there was still a lot of work manhandling the
              dirt out of the hole. I also made sure they were a couple inches deeper
              than required so they'd pass inspection.

I had to get inspected when my framing was done, and the only inspection I
              have left is the final and I'll be finished. Then the code people will
              drop a note to the assessors who I'm sure will pay me a visit

-Tony

--
              to fertilize your lawn!"

Comment

Finishing up my deck

I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier. -Tony
                Curious! I just built a deck myself last weekend. Not as large as the one you just did and it is not attached to the house. It spans across a portion of the Koi pond that I added last month. We landscaped around it with river stones and flat wall rocks. It's now possible to actually sit over the smaller of the two waterfalls I built. Not bad for a girly man like me in one weekend.
                That sounds really cool. I'd love a pond, but we have 40' of woods behind
                our house and the pond would be full of needles and leaves. And the video
                I bought to learn how to do the deck had a lady helping build. So if a
                lady could do it...
                My garden is about 200 hundred yards from the parking area and I have to haul all the materials up from there using a wheelbarrow so it is a really strenuous workout. Fortunately I stay in good shape with weight lifting, biking and rollerbladeing at least 3 times a week. Your right though, it is fun. It gives us a great deal of pleasure.
                You're in much better shape than me. I'm hoping to get that way. A new
                martial arts place just opened up down the road from me. I'm going to
                look into it.
                Last night we had diner out in the garden. Listening to the sound of the water against the rocks, the many birds that are attracted to the water and the woods behind our house and enjoying the tranquility of our creation can be quite like a vacation moment.
                I know. I sat on my deck the other day with a good cigar, watching the
                birds at my neighbor's feeder.

-Tony

--
                to fertilize your lawn!"

Comment

Finishing up my deck

Tony Miller wrote:
                  I know. I sat on my deck the other day with a good cigar, watching the birds at my neighbor's feeder.
                  .... and plotting to smoke the squirrels.

(smirks)

How many times during construction did you have
                  a Tim Allen (hold a circular saw, point at one
                  of the boards, and grunt) moment?

(points at keyboard and grunts)

BTW, I went zooming through my old neighborhood
                  whilst I was up in the region; peeled off of
                  I-78 onto 309, down to 313 and thence to Ridge
                  (after a diversion to see my old house; given
                  the purchaser is less neat with the yard than I
                  ever was, I imagine all the neighbors that were
                  glad to see us go then now regret it) a quick
                  run along Nockamixon to find my favorite little
                  road through Tinicum had a closed bridge (ouch).
                  Diverted around it via Hindquarters Road and
                  continued the zoom on up 32 and thence into
                  Joisey via Frenchtown.

Gawd.

Walmart is *evil*; Quakertown didn't look right
                  at *all*...

(sighs)

I was surprised how much has NOT changed in the
                  last 8 years.

In hindsight I wished I had taken more pictures;
                  Pennsylvania has a lot of pretty spots.

Urf, suggestion... a pleasant ride can be had
                  by going out to New Hope, PA (it's off of US 202)
                  and take a ride up along River Rd (PA 32) until
                  you hit I-78 (it'll turn into PA 611). Pick a
                  nice summer day... but remember the route for
                  later so you can take that drive when the trees
                  are turning.

There's also some pretty covered bridges around--
                  one of them in Erwinna.

Florida is *flat* in comparison. Whilst we have
                  a bigger sky down here (flatness helps) there's
                  something about the color of the greenery that
                  I missed.

Staten Island, BTW, looks like it needs to be
                  pressure-washed. Including the trees along
                  the roads in the greenbelt.

--
                  Jack C Lipton | cupasoup at pele dot cx | http://www.asstr.org/~CupaSoup/
                  Watch this space.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

Tony Miller wrote:
                    That's fine if your deck is a floater. I attached mine to my house with 3/8" carriage bolts. I needed to have deep enough footers to avoid frost heave.
                    I just wanted to remark on the "frost heave" as it is something we don't
                    have to deal with here. (Except in the snow regions, I suppose!) We get a
                    great deal of variation in the water table in the clay soil under our house
                    and that can cause enough movement for cracking to occur in the brickwork
                    after a few years of drought conditions.(Which we've had, recently.) As well
                    as the deep footings do you have to ensure regularly placed expansion joints
                    in the construction of buildings where frost heave is an issue?

Tai
                    (fascinated by all the building talk)

Comment

Finishing up my deck

On 2005-07-13, Tai <[email protected]> wrote:
                      Tony Miller wrote:
                      That's fine if your deck is a floater. I attached mine to my house with 3/8" carriage bolts. I needed to have deep enough footers to avoid frost heave.
                      I just wanted to remark on the "frost heave" as it is something we don't have to deal with here. (Except in the snow regions, I suppose!) We get a great deal of variation in the water table in the clay soil under our house and that can cause enough movement for cracking to occur in the brickwork after a few years of drought conditions.(Which we've had, recently.) As well as the deep footings do you have to ensure regularly placed expansion joints in the construction of buildings where frost heave is an issue?
                      I don't believe so, as long as your foundation/footings are below the
                      frost line. If the ground doesn't freeze, no heave
                      Tai (fascinated by all the building talk)
                      I learned a lot in the past few months.

-Tony

--
                      to fertilize your lawn!"

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"Jack C Lipton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        news:[email protected] g...
                        Tony Miller wrote:
                        I know. I sat on my deck the other day with a good cigar, watching the birds at my neighbor's feeder.
                        ... and plotting to smoke the squirrels. (smirks) How many times during construction did you have a Tim Allen (hold a circular saw, point at one of the boards, and grunt) moment? (points at keyboard and grunts) BTW, I went zooming through my old neighborhood whilst I was up in the region; peeled off of I-78 onto 309, down to 313 and thence to Ridge (after a diversion to see my old house; given the purchaser is less neat with the yard than I ever was, I imagine all the neighbors that were glad to see us go then now regret it) a quick run along Nockamixon to find my favorite little road through Tinicum had a closed bridge (ouch). Diverted around it via Hindquarters Road and continued the zoom on up 32 and thence into Joisey via Frenchtown. Gawd. Walmart is *evil*; Quakertown didn't look right at *all*... (sighs) I was surprised how much has NOT changed in the last 8 years. In hindsight I wished I had taken more pictures; Pennsylvania has a lot of pretty spots. Urf, suggestion... a pleasant ride can be had by going out to New Hope, PA (it's off of US 202) and take a ride up along River Rd (PA 32) until you hit I-78 (it'll turn into PA 611). Pick a nice summer day... but remember the route for later so you can take that drive when the trees are turning. There's also some pretty covered bridges around-- one of them in Erwinna. Florida is *flat* in comparison. Whilst we have a bigger sky down here (flatness helps) there's something about the color of the greenery that I missed. Staten Island, BTW, looks like it needs to be pressure-washed. Including the trees along the roads in the greenbelt.
                        Hey I'm very familiar with all those places you mentioned.
                        I go to New Hope often (did ya ever do the tubing down the Delaware),
                        in fact we have friends who live that way and meet then for diner there.
                        We sometimes take our bicycles and do the trail along the Jersey side
                        of the river.

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"Tony Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                          On 2005-07-12, AllYou! <[email protected]> wrote:
                          Yippeeee! You gals have all the fun. What color is it?
                          LOL!!! Nice followup to: BTW, YHBT
                          No, really, what color?

Comment

Finishing up my deck

"Tony Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                            I finally broke down after 15 years of wanting a deck, the time was finally right, so I'm building one. I decided to build it myself because it's a macho guy thing to do, and learned that I was badly out of shape. But I got a better workout building the deck than I could have at the gym. I'm putting the last piece of railing up, I have to build the stairs and then I'll be all done. The deck is 12x14 (feet for you metric dependent people ) so is substantial and I have an extra beam and two footers so I can have a herd of cows on my deck. Looking back, it's been fun. The next deck (hah!) will be easier. -Tony
                            Curious! I just built a deck myself last weekend. Not as large as the one you just did and it is not attached to the house. It spans across a portion of the Koi pond that I added last month. We landscaped around it with river stones and flat wall rocks. It's now possible to actually sit over the smaller of the two waterfalls I built. Not bad for a girly man like me in one weekend.
                            That sounds really cool. I'd love a pond, but we have 40' of woods behind our house and the pond would be full of needles and leaves. And the video I bought to learn how to do the deck had a lady helping build. So if a lady could do it...
                            My garden is about 200 hundred yards from the parking area and I have to haul all the materials up from there using a wheelbarrow so it is a really strenuous workout. Fortunately I stay in good shape with weight lifting, biking and rollerbladeing at least 3 times a week. Your right though, it is fun. It gives us a great deal of pleasure.
                            You're in much better shape than me. I'm hoping to get that way. A new martial arts place just opened up down the road from me. I'm going to look into it.
                            Last night we had diner out in the garden. Listening to the sound of the water against the rocks, the many birds that are attracted to the water and the woods behind our house and enjoying the tranquility of our creation can be quite like a vacation moment.
                            I know. I sat on my deck the other day with a good cigar, watching the birds at my neighbor's feeder. -Tony
                            The leaves in the pond are a real pain. Each Fall I have to stake netting
                            over the pond to keep the majority of them out.

The martial arts thing might work for you. Whatever you can do that becomes
                            fun will work. When people reach a certain age they need to "just do it".

Comment

Working...
                            X