No announcement yet.

can a 14 year old date an 18 year old????? Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, not even Alabama has laws against DATING, no matter which age. show me a statute or shut up.

And it does too, boil down to a close in age exception or exemption. For starters, there aren't many instances of filing whatever against, let's say a 15 year old and a 17 year old. And even if they do, usually there's not enough to go on, to think there's foul play, no matter how much the parent wants it to be so.
    The power of parents over their teenage daughters is not absolute. And luckily so. And the picture you try to paint of teen boy as inevitable rapists when they date, kiss or have sex with teen girls, is seldom correct. Okay, maybe in your community, but thank God I don't have to live there.

No matter how much you try to criminalize teen behaviour, it won't work.
    And maybe anyone can call, but there are penalties and jailtime for making a false report of that nature.

There was this case in Georgia:
    "In a week, his ex-wife would have faced a child custody hearing. But the moment the couple's child was married, she was legally emancipated from her parents."

Judge, smudge. In Georgia, when you're pregnant, and you want to marry, you can. even if you're underage, because the judges will often rule against kids born out of wedlock .
    Last edited by ConsentingKid; 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM.
    Anyone who tries to infer my age from my nick, instead of oh say, my POSTS ... I'd JUST love to have that discussion with you !!!

Comment

Consentingkid, this is the moderator speaking.

It is enormously clear that you do not in the least understand the laws you are spouting off about. If I see you posting incorrect advice again, particularly on a dead thread, your account will be suspended.

You will receive no further warnings.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by ConsentingKid View Post
        Sorry, not even Alabama has laws against DATING, no matter which age. show me a statute or shut up.

And it does too, boil down to a close in age exception or exemption. For starters, there aren't many instances of filing whatever against, let's say a 15 year old and a 17 year old. And even if they do, usually there's not enough to go on, to think there's foul play, no matter how much the parent wants it to be so.
        The power of parents over their teenage daughters is not absolute. And luckily so. And the picture you try to paint of teen boy as inevitable rapists when they date, kiss or have sex with teen girls, is seldom correct. Okay, maybe in your community, but thank God I don't have to live there.

No matter how much you try to criminalize teen behaviour, it won't work.
        And maybe anyone can call, but there are penalties and jailtime for making a false report of that nature.

There was this case in Georgia:
        "In a week, his ex-wife would have faced a child custody hearing. But the moment the couple's child was married, she was legally emancipated from her parents."

Judge, smudge. In Georgia, when you're pregnant, and you want to marry, you can. even if you're underage, because the judges will often rule against kids born out of wedlock .
        I just wanted to point out that this particular case in Georgia happened in 2006. A woman brought her pregnant 13 year old over state lines to get married to her boyfriend. The ruling was in regard to a loophole in a 1962 law that allowed for pregnant minors to marry.

Around the same time, a court was also forced to rule that, becuase of that identical loophole, an ADULT PREGNANT WOMAN was legally permitted to marry her 15 year old teenaged lover who got her pregnant without his parents giving consent. The case made headlines worldwide, and the Georgia legislature promptly fixed the loophole.

The result: while there is still a pregnancy exception in Georgia, the age was raised to 16. And, you have to prove to a judge that the marriage is in the best interest of the minor and the child.

The story you quoted is not legal today.

No matter how you try to criminialize adult bahavior, it does not change the fact that parents have complete control over their minor children.

Comment

Wrong answer, kid.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I just wanted to point out that I never stated that there were any laws against dating a minor. I don't think anyone did. But I certianly did not.

The proof that parents have complete control over their children is the thing the Kid has been trying to argue: emancipation. Emancipation is the removal of the disability of a minor. If parents did not have complete control over their kids, there would be no such thing as the disability of a minor, and hence, no such thing as emancipation.

It is the lack of any rights of minors that makes them under the control of their parents. It is the declaration of a parent or any guardian as just that -- a LEGAL GUARDIAN, and the need of a minor to have one, that is the PROOF that the Kid was seeking.

Parents do in fact have complete control over their minor children.

The Kid may very well be talking about parents being unable to control their child's thoughts, etc. But this is a legal website, not a philosophical one. Maybe parents cannot control thoughts (though they can influence them), but they most certianly can control action, thus, complete control.

Comment

But, and again, just to clarify....

There may not be laws against dating, but every state has a statute about contributing the the delinquency of a minor. And if parents feel that the adult is influencing their minor child in a bad way, they can always pursue this route.

Perhaps those are the laws Kid is looking for?

Comment

I don't know what laws he's looking for. In a month, when his suspension is over, he can come back and tell us. As long as he stops giving incorrect advice and mouthing off.

Comment

Working...
                X