Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can a 14 year old date an 18 year old????? Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can a 14 year old date an 18 year old????? Alabama

    hey ppl I am a soon to be 15 year old and this totally suxs cause I can't date this 18 year old guy who is soo good to me
    is it legal ??? he is scared to be around me simply cause he is afraid of getting thrown in to jail but he tries to hang out with me as much as he can
    wat am I suppose to do?
    i have liked this guy for over a year and it doesn't seem right I shouldn't date him
    i mean come on it is illegal or what's the deal???
    and btw the only reason I don't date someone my own age is cause all the guys I know my age are either gay or act like total idiots
    let me know if anyone knows the deal!

  • #2
    I answered on your other post, please keep it to one post, so we don't get confused. I at least now know, you are the 14 year old, and not the 18 year old. If you stick to just this post, I will give you what I know. The age of sexual consent in alabama is 16. So for 2 years, he can not touch you in any way shape or form, or he goes to jail. If you really like him, you should wait until he is out of danger of getting in trouble. He is very wise, to be worried, because his suspicions are right! Stay away, or you will cause him to go to jail.

    Comment


    • #3
      I echo...

      Any relationship with him puts him in serious jeopardy of jail time.

      You are, of course, allowed to disagree with the law. You both still have to adhere to it, however.

      Sorry.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

      I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

      Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am 17 and will turn 18 in May and my b/f is 14 and will be turning 15 in may as well. Can i get into trouble for dating him? We are not having sex or anything close to it but if we end up doing so, will i get into trouble? Ok before you judge me he is very mature for his age, he had to grow up fast, he acts older than some 19 year olds that i know, and i love him very much. My mom told me that If i ever get caught out with him I could be thrown into jail, she also said it doesnt matter if neither one of our parents care if we are dating, the law can still step in and I dont want to get into trouble and he doesnt want me to either soo please let me know!!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by xxlain View Post
          I am 17 and will turn 18 in May and my b/f is 14 and will be turning 15 in may as well. Can i get into trouble for dating him? We are not having sex or anything close to it but if we end up doing so, will i get into trouble? Ok before you judge me he is very mature for his age, he had to grow up fast, he acts older than some 19 year olds that i know, and i love him very much. My mom told me that If i ever get caught out with him I could be thrown into jail, she also said it doesnt matter if neither one of our parents care if we are dating, the law can still step in and I dont want to get into trouble and he doesnt want me to either soo please let me know!!!!!
          What state do you live in? Even if the law says you can date, with no contact at all, the parents, can obtain a restraining order, and keep you away from him until he is 18. The law does not care how mature anyone is, they only look at the numbers. We do not have to like it, but we do have to follow it. Thank you for coming here to see what is legal and not legal, instead of just stepping into it first, and asking questions later, when it is to late to turn back. So, what state are you from, laws differ from state to state.

          Comment


          • #6
            I live in Alabama. Thank you soo much for taking out the time to read my post!!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by xxlain View Post
              I live in Alabama. Thank you soo much for taking out the time to read my post!!!!


              Please keep in mind that many states have additional laws that are used
              to harass adults who have consensual sexual activity with minors. For
              instance showing a minor pornography, providing drugs or alcohol to the
              minor, or being in a position of authority of the minor, like a school
              employee can change the age of consent to a lower age. There are many cases
              of adults having a minor at their home without a parents permission, the
              parent will call the police and say their child has run away, and then
              direct the police to the home of the adult, who is not charged for having
              sex with the minor, but is charged with "contributing to the delinquency of
              a minor." This is a common set up by police, and judges love to throw the
              book at adults who have consensual sexual activity with minors. I do not
              have this additional information for all 50 states.

              AGE OF
              SEXUAL
              STATE CONSENT
              ALABAMA 16


              It looks like until this person is 16, you can do nothing, no kissing, touching, groping, etc. Don't forget the restraining order they can get against you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xxlain View Post
                I live in Alabama. Thank you soo much for taking out the time to read my post!!!!
                No problem!

                Comment


                • #9
                  If I have the permission from his parents to be dating him, can the law step in and do something about it? When I turn 18 I'm going to move in with him, his mom said it's ok. Can the law do anything about that? Thank you soo much for helping me!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by xxlain View Post
                    If I have the permission from his parents to be dating him, can the law step in and do something about it? When I turn 18 I'm going to move in with him, his mom said it's ok. Can the law do anything about that? Thank you soo much for helping me!!!!!
                    OH yes, not only can you get in trouble, but the parents that allowed this can also, and the child can be taken from the home. Parents can not change the law, nor say, if it is ok with me, the law does not apply. Once the minor in question, is of legal age, then all that would stop you, is the restraining order, which would not happen if they are all for it. You may want to google alabama sex laws with minors, to see if there are no state, or county laws, that have been passed. I have heard of some pretty funky, and unkown laws, that deal with this, so statutory rape, is only one charge, please remember this. If I find another law for you to worry about, I will let you know, but you should do research, not just here.
                    Last edited by turbowray; 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by turbowray View Post
                      OH yes, not only can you get in trouble, but the parents that allowed this can also, and the child can be taken from the home. Parents can not change the law, nor say, if it is ok with me, the law does not apply. Once the minor in question, is of legal age, then all that would stop you, is the restraining order, which would not happen if they are all for it. You may want to google alabama sex laws with minors, to see if there are no state, or county laws, that have been passed. I have heard of some pretty funky, and unkown laws, that deal with this, so statutory rape, is only one charge, please remember this. If I find another law for you to worry about, I will let you know, but you should do research, not just here.
                      Ugh, the 18 year old being allowed to move in with the 15 year old situation sounds so familiar...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Alabama has too, got laws that account for age difference. It's called close in age exception. It starts at 15 and your partner cannot be more than 3 years older. Of course, you could get married, then it doesn't really matter what age your bf is, he could be 50. Also, Alabama and georgia is the only state AFAIK that have an old unknown, but still valid law, that says that if you're pregnant, you can get married without parental consent.

                        Please realize that this site is pushing a christian rightwing agenda, and that they almost always choose the harshest explanation of the law.
                        Not many judges will throw you in jail for kissing, hand holding etc. They can, but usually because they were pressured into by church groups, or some such.
                        Anyone who tries to infer my age from my nick, instead of oh say, my POSTS ... I'd JUST love to have that discussion with you !!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ConsentingKid View Post
                          Alabama has too, got laws that account for age difference. It's called close in age exception. It starts at 15 and your partner cannot be more than 3 years older. Of course, you could get married, then it doesn't really matter what age your bf is, he could be 50. Also, Alabama and georgia is the only state AFAIK that have an old unknown, but still valid law, that says that if you're pregnant, you can get married without parental consent.

                          Please realize that this site is pushing a christian rightwing agenda, and that they almost always choose the harshest explanation of the law.
                          Not many judges will throw you in jail for kissing, hand holding etc. They can, but usually because they were pressured into by church groups, or some such.
                          Agian, your immaturity and ignorance are showing.

                          You also seem to be suggesting that this 15 year old OP (who is nearly 18 now because once again you dug up an old thread) simply get pregnant. Not only is your advice ridiculous, it's dangerous.

                          Christian right wing agenda? I've got five bucks that says you don't even know what that means.

                          There is no such thing as a close in age exception. There is a close in age defense. Which means you can use the close in age excuse as a DEFENSE. It is not a guarantee that charges cannot be filed or a conviction cannot happen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I almost forgot to say...

                            Georgia and Alabama actually do NOT allow you to go ahead and get married without consent under the age of 18 if you are pregnant.

                            Georgia and Alabama allow a minor, who can prove the existence of a pregnancy, to APPLY for a marriage license without parental consent.

                            That minor still has to go before a judge. The judge makes the decision. Not the minor. The judge.

                            Please stop handing out your incorrect, dangerous, and not to mention entirely too late (seeing as you keep replying to long dead threads) "advice." Frankly, it sucks. You are very bad at it. Go back to Facebook.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ConsentingKid View Post
                              Alabama has too, got laws that account for age difference. It's called close in age exception. It starts at 15 and your partner cannot be more than 3 years older. Of course, you could get married, then it doesn't really matter what age your bf is, he could be 50. Also, Alabama and georgia is the only state AFAIK that have an old unknown, but still valid law, that says that if you're pregnant, you can get married without parental consent.

                              Please realize that this site is pushing a christian rightwing agenda, and that they almost always choose the harshest explanation of the law.
                              Not many judges will throw you in jail for kissing, hand holding etc. They can, but usually because they were pressured into by church groups, or some such.
                              For your information, it is usually the parents or other family, not the "church" groups that press charges. And on that note, any one can call the authorities and turn in someone for dating a minor even if nothing physical has happened.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              We must first look at ourselves, before we look at others

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X