Alabama teen. Emancipation. Urgent. Alabama

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama teen. Emancipation. Urgent. Alabama

Firstly, I would like to start off by stating that this is not going to be a post like alot of the other teenagers' post that I've read on this website wanting emancipation because their parents won't let them date their older boyfriend, or go out to a party. I have a serious situation.

I'm a sixteen year old male from Alabama. I've been abused throughout my entire, mentally and physically. Throughout my entire life my parents have always fought, whether it be about not being able to pay their bills- or because my father wasn't doing what he was supposed to as a father or a husband. They would often end up physically fighting and it would involve my sister and i. We'd have to break them up and often defend my mother. That would kind of leave us torn, we'd have to turn against my father- and when he came back we were supposed to act as if nothing had happend. And when we didnt't- we had "bad attitudes." We were hit and beaten for any little thing, not wanting to watch tv in the living room, whatever. Anything set my parents off. I remember one instance when my father came home drunk and my mom and him fought- my sister and i had to defend my mother. It got so bad with him walking around the house with a gun, drunk, threatening tot kill us, that we had to call the police. That wasn't the first time she'd had to call the police because he'd gotten out of hand. It was the first time id had to defend my self with a knife though. When he got out of jail, the next day, my mom let him right back in. And once again, we were supposed to act like nothing happened. I can't take living with my parents again. Recently, they both jumped on me. It got so bad that DHR got involved and i went to go live with my grandmother for a month. My month just ended a few days ago and i had to go home. My parents still fight, but my moms basically just trying to get on my good side. I don't even want to go through it anymore. I love and forgive my parents- i just don't want to be here anymore.

My mental health is suffering because of this, I've been medicated for mild depression and anxiety. The doctor agrees, and says this is because of the stress brough on by my parents. So i'm going to seek emancipation. I'm mentally and physically able to provide for myself, i have a job at my uncles car dealership, and i plan on living with relatives.

I've done some information, but you guys seem to know alot. Do you guys think i would have a chance? How would i go about seeking my emancipation- i mean, do i have to go to dhr and ask for a petition or something?

come on people. i need help.

Comment

You wait one hour and then start demanding answers?

Kiddo, the responders on this board are volunteers who do this on what time they can spare from their jobs and their families and their other activites. This is not Time Warner; operators are not standing by 24/7 to answer your call. Not everyone who looks at every question knows the laws of each and every state or have the info you want at their fingertips without researching or looking for specific websites. You're asking volunteers to provide you with FREE information; have the goodness to wait more than an hour before you start complaining.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'm sorry. I'm sitting at home in front of the computer, frusterated. I'm really sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Alabamateen
          I'm sorry. I'm sitting at home in front of the computer, frusterated. I'm really sorry.
          Geesh, I'm hurrying here! Okay, here you go.

www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/alabama.html

In short, your parents will have to file the petition in the court for emancipation. If you are being abused, you need to alert the authorities. If something happens before you call CPS, pick up the phone and call the POLICE. I don't care who it is, NOBODY has the right to assault you and nobody EVER has the right to hold a gun on you.

Anywho, the basic requirements for emancipation include being able to show that you are and can continue to support yourself, have a place to live and can afford and have the maturity to live on your own (not with family or friends) and you are rsponsible and mature enough to conduct your affairs in the manner of an adult.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
          (unique up on him)
          How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
          (same way)

Comment

That's not good then. Because i know my parents aren't going to petition for my emancipation. They are not going to let me leave. And if i did get it, i'd be living with my aunt or grandmother.

I'm just so stressed out, i'm tired of it all. I don't want to be here.

Comment

I'm sorry about this whole situation. In TX (and I think in most states that allow minors to be emancipated), the minor is allowed to file the petition. Unfortunately, this is apparently not true in AL. I wish it was for your sake.

My recommendation would be - if you ever feel threatened for your life or feel like you may suffer serious bodily injury - to just leave. Even if it is not legal, stay with a friend, stay with your grandmother - do whatever you can to protect yourself - keeping yourself ALIVE is the most important thing.

Comment

Mental health and disorders

Originally posted by Alabamateen View Post
                Firstly, I would like to start off by stating that this is not going to be a post like alot of the other teenagers' post that I've read on this website wanting emancipation because their parents won't let them date their older boyfriend, or go out to a party. I have a serious situation.

I'm a sixteen year old male from Alabama. I've been abused throughout my entire, mentally and physically. Throughout my entire life my parents have always fought, whether it be about not being able to pay their bills- or because my father wasn't doing what he was supposed to as a father or a husband. They would often end up physically fighting and it would involve my sister and i. We'd have to break them up and often defend my mother. That would kind of leave us torn, we'd have to turn against my father- and when he came back we were supposed to act as if nothing had happend. And when we didnt't- we had "bad attitudes." We were hit and beaten for any little thing, not wanting to watch tv in the living room, whatever. Anything set my parents off. I remember one instance when my father came home drunk and my mom and him fought- my sister and i had to defend my mother. It got so bad with him walking around the house with a gun, drunk, threatening tot kill us, that we had to call the police. That wasn't the first time she'd had to call the police because he'd gotten out of hand. It was the first time id had to defend my self with a knife though. When he got out of jail, the next day, my mom let him right back in. And once again, we were supposed to act like nothing happened. I can't take living with my parents again. Recently, they both jumped on me. It got so bad that DHR got involved and i went to go live with my grandmother for a month. My month just ended a few days ago and i had to go home. My parents still fight, but my moms basically just trying to get on my good side. I don't even want to go through it anymore. I love and forgive my parents- i just don't want to be here anymore.

My mental health is suffering because of this, I've been medicated for mild depression and anxiety. The doctor agrees, and says this is because of the stress brough on by my parents. So i'm going to seek emancipation. I'm mentally and physically able to provide for myself, i have a job at my uncles car dealership, and i plan on living with relatives.

I've done some information, but you guys seem to know alot. Do you guys think i would have a chance? How would i go about seeking my emancipation- i mean, do i have to go to dhr and ask for a petition or something?
                Well thats very sad to hear that there is something which was never fine in your home. Consulting emancipation will even not help you. Better they stay separate like way they both will get enough time to think about their mistakes.
                ================================================== ========
                Steve
                Last edited by cbg; 06-28-2008, 04:57 AM.

Comment

I have no idea what you just said, but please don't dig up old threads, this one is from 2006.

Comment

By now, the child is an adult.
                    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
                    X