Abuse of the baker act. Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abuse of the baker act. Florida

Ok, so long story short my mom and step dad can't stand each other anymore. My mom wants a divorce and my step has threatened to baker act her.
    My mother is perfectly healthy both mentally and physically and would in no way deserve it.
    My mom is afraid he would abuse the system and have her baker acted. Apparently you can get lost in the system for awhile and she's afraid he'll clean her out while she's sitting in a mental ward somewhere. Obviously I don't want to see this happen to her.

There has to be some way this can be prevented or stopped if it comes down to that. Her idea so far is to give medical power of attorney to her best friend and I guess she would be able to get her out of that situation.

Does anyone have some advice on this?

Someone may come along with some additional suggestions for you (your mom).

However, per a reference of mine, if someone is trying to abuse the Baker Act against another individual, help/assistance & questions can be answered by contacting the Citizens Commission on Human Rights of Florida at 1-800-782-2878.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Baker Act Abuse

Originally posted by Chris57701 View Post
      Ok, so long story short my mom and step dad can't stand each other anymore. My mom wants a divorce and my step has threatened to baker act her.
      My mother is perfectly healthy both mentally and physically and would in no way deserve it.
      My mom is afraid he would abuse the system and have her baker acted. Apparently you can get lost in the system for awhile and she's afraid he'll clean her out while she's sitting in a mental ward somewhere. Obviously I don't want to see this happen to her.

There has to be some way this can be prevented or stopped if it comes down to that. Her idea so far is to give medical power of attorney to her best friend and I guess she would be able to get her out of that situation.

Does anyone have some advice on this?
      In order to stop this abuse, your mom needs to retain an attorney as soon as possible. Also, she needs to find a doctor that will attest to her mental stability. The Baker Act was written just for circumstances like this. It was originally written so families could steal estates from their wealthly, elderly parents. This law violates your "Human Rights" and your "Constitutional Rights". So, please see an attorney as soon as possible.

Good luck!!! I hope everything will be ok.

Comment

JusticeY, please do not reply to old threads. This thread is from
        12-09. I assume the original poster has taken some type of action
        by now. Thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X