This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical emanicapation help

my situation is unique and i am considering legal emanicapation. i am 16 i lost my mother at 11 and my father does not have legal custody over me due to his previous drug addiction. My grandparents have legal custody over me as of current. My goal is to be able to emancipate myself in a way that i am able to say what I can and cannot do. I simply wish to not have to have a legal guardian. My living situation will remain the same. I do have a job however i would not be able to support myself on my own. I want to know if i would stand a chance of auicially reaching my goal. I believe i have a good chance because of my history of family abuse. I have a clean criminal record...i just want to know if i have a fair chance before i start setting things in motion

Since you opted not to tell us your state, no one can tell you if your state even allows a minor to be emancipated. Not all states do.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

(The situation is not unique by any means).

Given that you cannot support yourself, your chances of being emancipated - should your state even allow for such a thing - are virtually nil.

Justine, please read other threads about emancipation.

Comment

So you want to remain living where you are, have someone else pay for you but be free to make your own decisions? Doesn't sound very adult to me, sounds like every other teen out there.

Comment

If you want to make your own decisions, you have to be able to live on your own/support yourself.

You really should have furnished the name of your state though.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

my state is pennslyvania. And no somebody else would not be paying for me i now have the money to live on my own. previously i did not know of my inheratince. I would choose to live their because they want me too. And my question also applies to medical emanicapation. They are making me take medication that makes me sick and not feel like myself, and i have no choice wether i go to counsling or not.
            Last edited by Justine1234; 03-13-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Quoting How does a minor request emancipation from the court?
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pennsylvania rules of court do not establish procedures for obtaining emancipation decrees. However, Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas have the power to make decisions concerning emancipation. Some counties do not recognize any formal procedure for emancipation and so the minor may need to take the initiative to petition the court for emancipation. It can be helpful for a minor to have an attorney when petitioning the court for emancipation, but it is not essential.

In a petition for emancipation a minor must state that:
              • The minor has moved out of his or her parents’ home.
              • The minor is not receiving financial support from his or her parents.
              • The minor is capable of responsibly controlling his or her own actions and does so.
              The minor should be as specific as possible about how long he or she has been living independently and how self-support is achieved.

When the court considers the emancipation petition, the minor’s parents will be notified and will be invited to attend the hearing and speak at the hearing on their view about the child’s request for emancipation.
              Once you are emancipated under one state's court order, you should be treated as emancipated in any state (but under that state's rules as to what it means to be emancipated). ------------

I assume if there are no parents involved, it would be legal guardians.
              The age of majority in Pa. is 18. You can then make your own decisions w/o emancipation.
              Last edited by Betty3; 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
              X