Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA Laws for moving out at 17 Georgia

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GA Laws for moving out at 17 Georgia

    (Yes i am fully aware that this is not emancipation related, However i could not get a response anywhere else. Thanks for anyone that replies)

    Very simple question, What are the laws for Moving out in GA now days? (Age/Circumstances/etc).

    My co-worker has a daughter who is 17 and wanting to move out to a friends house, However he is not entirely sure if she should or not. No he is not dictating that she can not do so, However he wants to know in the event she does do so (without consent) what are the routes he can go about getting her back.

    Furthermore, What exactly do they do to 17 year old girls/boys when they do such as this? I've heard numerous things such as they will not force the child back to the home if they are in no danger/etc. I have also heard they will take the child back as soon as they find them, Point blank i need to know what they will do given the circumstances (The child being 17) and/if she can actually do it and get away with it. I've also heard that the parents has to go through the courts in order to file a petition to get the child forcibly brought back to the house-hold, I'm not entirely sure what the GA laws for this now days are so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Reference http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=278218 from 1-13-11.
    (Received no replies.)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Reference http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=278218 from 1-13-11.
      (Received no replies.)
      Yes it received no replies, Therefore i figured i would try my luck elsewhere since no one seemed to want to help out in the other forum.

      Comment


      • #4
        Perhaps no one who has read it knows the answer.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

        Comment


        • #5
          No one had replied to other thread but no one has replied to this one either so
          agree that apparently no one who has read either thread so far knows the answer.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

          Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
            No one had replied to other thread but no one has replied to this one either so
            agree that apparently no one who has read either thread so far knows the answer.
            What the law says, and what to do are in this case different things.

            With a 17 year old, you have to be careful what battles to fight, and when to let them make their own mistakes.

            I had one child move out at 17, and she is with a bum. Another moved out at 17, and is now in one of the top universities in the country. (Full free ride.)

            Every child is different, as is the answer to this "problem."

            Here is another look at the law.

            http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_old_do...out_in_Georgia

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
              What the law says, and what to do are in this case different things.

              With a 17 year old, you have to be careful what battles to fight, and when to let them make their own mistakes.

              I had one child move out at 17, and she is with a bum. Another moved out at 17, and is now in one of the top universities in the country. (Full free ride.)

              Every child is different, as is the answer to this "problem."

              Here is another look at the law.

              http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_old_do...out_in_Georgia
              So basically, Just let it happen because it's not going to be a top priority case in the laws eyes?

              Because, From what i read according to the Interstate pact for runaways, At age 17 they are not to haul you in but rather check on you and make sure your ok. The final ruling has to go through the courts with a court order.

              Also, From what i read it might go unheard for quite some time because your 17 year old who is close enough to 18, is not a priority case in the court's eyes.

              Looking forward to any feedback.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have found this out the hard way.

                If you fight the teen, they will hate you. If you allow them some rope, they will either hang themselves, or make a hammock. Either way, you are the good person in their eyes because you let them run. If a 17 year old fights long enough, you will either throw them out, or kill someone. Let them have some freedom for everyone's sanity.

                The law will only get involved if their is a legal problem, such as truancy, (low priority) drug use, (higher) theft, (More important) and so on. The police have more important things to deal with than a teen that is being a mule. Such as the meth house on the next block.

                Just my experience speaking, and not legal advice.

                The parent should make contact (behind the scenes) with the other family, and help keep tabs on the child. (And kick in for food.) Love is sometimes tough. It is toughest when you have teen daughters.


                It works best when you give them choices. (I will allow this, if you keep the grades up.) No HS diploma means not even a fast food job in most places.

                A college degree means they can at worst be a manager.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
                  I have found this out the hard way.

                  If you fight the teen, they will hate you. If you allow them some rope, they will either hang themselves, or make a hammock. Either way, you are the good person in their eyes because you let them run. If a 17 year old fights long enough, you will either throw them out, or kill someone. Let them have some freedom for everyone's sanity.

                  The law will only get involved if their is a legal problem, such as truancy, (low priority) drug use, (higher) theft, (More important) and so on. The police have more important things to deal with than a teen that is being a mule. Such as the meth house on the next block.

                  Just my experience speaking, and not legal advice.

                  The parent should make contact (behind the scenes) with the other family, and help keep tabs on the child. (And kick in for food.) Love is sometimes tough. It is toughest when you have teen daughters.


                  It works best when you give them choices. (I will allow this, if you keep the grades up.) No HS diploma means not even a fast food job in most places.

                  A college degree means they can at worst be a manager.
                  I find your advise very helpful,

                  It has recently come to my attention after contacting the local police station that even if the child was to run away at 17 they would not assist in her return, as they clearly stated to me over the telephone that there was nothing they could do if the child was 17 that she could make her own decisions.

                  I guess i should have went through that avenue before bugging everyone on this forum about it, However hopefully this thread will help anyone in the future.

                  Have a good one guy's!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Everyone needs to search and ask questions, especially when it involves someone you love. Just hearing it will not do.

                    My specialty is this subject. I have been through the mill with those girls......Legal and otherwise.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X