This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 In Georgia. Input Needed Georgia

I am not going to give you a load of crap. I don't feel like typing a lot.
    So here is is.
    Is is possible for me to get emancipated.

I can get a job, I have had one before. I know where I would be living, and I can pay for it. I can also pay for my other expenses. I have already figure all of this out, so now that that is out of the way.

Why?
    Mom:
    My mom has legal custody of me. She has problem to say in the least. She is beyond a control freak. I don't know how to explain it. But she is very abusive emotionally.
    When it comes to court, I could easy, EASILY, get someone to testify against her.

Dad:
    My dad has molested on more than one occasion. He has a drinking and gambling problem. That's all I really want to say about him.

I don't know what to do anymore. I just need help.
    I am a straight A kid. Never ran away, drank, had sex. I am a good kid. I just got stuck with a sucky family, that I need to get out from.

Anyone's input is appreciated.
    I will answer any questions as best I can.

Also

I can get all my teachers and several other people to go to court or have something written saying that I am very mature for my age, and make mature decisions.

Comment

Again Also

I don't know if this matters, but at the moment I live at a boarding school.

Comment

The minimum age to be emancipated in GA (and most other states) is 16. Unless you already have the job and have a PROVEN record of being able to support yourself without help, emancipation will not be an option even then. GA has recently tightened up on the rules for emancipation and a never easy process is now even harder.

A mother being "a control freak" is NOT sufficient grounds to emancipate a teenager.

If you are being abused, you need to call CPS. They will not emancipate you, but they may have other ways of assisting you even if they aren't your first choice.
        Last edited by cbg; 01-10-2010, 02:30 AM.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Emancipation is about "self" support. How do you plan on being self supporting at your age?
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Answer

I have a job now. I already pay for everything that I get. I have raised myself since I was 8. My mom is no longer letting me support myself, but she won't do it. Making it very hard on me.
            I have called CPS SEVERAL times, they never do anything. Never.

Right now I know all the numbers, and I would have enough to take care of myself, and have some left over for emergencies.

Comment

Are you paying rent? Heat? Light? Electric? Telephone? Medical care? Insurance? Transportation?

Unless the answer to all of the above is yes, you are not paying for anywhere near what you would be required to pay as an emancipated minor. Which you are a minimum of two years away from.

There are NO circumstances where a 14 year old can be emancipated in any state but California, and to be emancipated at 14 in California you'd better be either a nationally recognized sports star, or act in the Harry Potter movies in your spare time.

Emancipation is NOT an option for you at this time, and nothing you have posted suggests that it will be an option in the future.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Answer

I pay half of all of those questions.
                And if I was living on my own I could easily pay for all.
                I CAN support myself. And I have for a long time now.
                If I went to California would I be allowed to be emancipated?

Comment

It doesnt work that way. You must emancipate in state you reside

Comment

Did you read what I said? No, even in CA, it is very, very rare to be emancipated at 14 and you would need to be independently wealthy.

Nor will another state emancipate you in violation of your own state's laws.

Half is not enough. Either you're fully self-supporting or you're not, and if you're not, you're not a candidate for emancipation. And I'm sorry, but I do not believe that a 14 year old is paying half the rent, half of all the utilities, half of her medical insurance, half of her transportation bills, and so on. I don't think you have a clue what things really cost.

But whether you are or not is a moot point. Emancipation is not an option for you. It is not going to happen. No matter how many what-ifs you come up with, you cannot be emancipated at 14. Period.

Comment

Is This Possible

Is it possible for me to is both consent in sign the paper?
                      So we wouldn't have to go to court...

Comment

Consent to what? At 14 you cannot be emancipated!!

Comment

There are NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER under which you can be emancipated until you are at least 16. It doesn't matter who signs what; both your parents can give you written, notarized permission signed in blood, and it will mean nothing. The law WILL NOT emancipate a 14 year old.

The sooner you understand that, the better off you will be.

Comment

Originally posted by KatherinePM02 View Post
                            Is it possible for me to is both consent in sign the paper?
                            So we wouldn't have to go to court...

Katherine, you're not understanding what you've been told. You cannot currently become emancipated - at all.

Comment

The bottom line is - the answer to your question is: NO, you cannot get emancipated at 14. There is no use asking any additional questions.
                              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                              X