This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 16 and I need some help Virginia

I'm 16 and I live in Virginia and I have a boyfrend who just turned 18, but he lives in Illinois. I want to go live with him. He's looking for a job to pay for gas money to come down here and get me. When I get there, I plan to look for a job as well. I really feel like he's the one for me. I've never felt so in love with anyone else. Anyway, I need to find out all I can about the emancpation. I plan to finish school there. My parents have no idea that I want to get an emancipation. I'm worried that they will just say no. I've had a job before, when I was 15, but the place ended up closing down. I could really use some help. I need to find out as much as possible before I talk to them about it. Someone told me that my parents can't say no if I do want to get it, but then another friend told me that the judge could deny it. I really need to get out of this place. I have way too much stress bing put on me because of my parents. I've been suicidal since I was 9 years old and they are only building up the stress. So please, help.

"Someone" does not know what they are talking about. Not only can your parents say no, there is not a judge in the US who will emancipate a teenager so that she can go live with her boyfriend out of state, particularly one with a 7 year record of being suicidal.

The judge not only can deny it, he will deny it. Emancipation is granted only in very rare circumstances, and ONLY to teenagers who have a PROVEN history of supporting themselves. Emancipation is not going to happen. This is not what emancipation is for.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Saru Hotaru View Post
      I'm 16 and I live in Virginia and I have a boyfrend who just turned 18, but he lives in Illinois. I want to go live with him.
      Bad move. You're under age.

He's looking for a job to pay for gas money to come down here and get me.
      And when you two are together, is he going to keep that job?

When I get there, I plan to look for a job as well.
      Yeeeeeeah. Right. Listen, it don't work like that anymore. Hell, even I held some pretty wild jobs when I was a kid. But times have changed. Labor laws have changed. Some of the work I did legally when I was in high school, now would get the employer a few years in federal prison. It's not like many people will hire you. It's good that you're optimistic, but bad that you're not looking at the whole picture.

I really feel like he's the one for me. I've never felt so in love with anyone else.
      Ok. Look at this picture- you're only 16. How many men have you met? Not counting boys, but men. In the next ten years you will meet 100 times more men than you have to date. Your experience is minimal.

Anyway, I need to find out all I can about the emancpation.
      Emancipation is a law from long ago. It can happen now, but very very rare. You should google it for your state and for Illinois so you can get a grasp on what we're talking about.

I plan to finish school there.
      While holding a job? I suppose it can be done, but I am not sure you realize what you're saying.

My parents have no idea that I want to get an emancipation.
      Ohhhhhhh boy.

I think that before you go any further on this you should discuss it with them. Parents aren't usually the smartest, but they're a lot smarter than you give them credit for. You may find they can help you more if you talk with them more often than if you never say a word.

I'm worried that they will just say no. I've had a job before, when I was 15, but the place ended up closing down.
      But they havn't yet, now have they? "A" job? Ok. It's a start.

I could really use some help. I need to find out as much as possible before I talk to them about it.
      Maybe if you should try talking with them now about it, you may find they can help you far more than you are imagining. You make it sound like they're dictators. I know what it's like, I was a kid as well.

Someone told me that my parents can't say no if I do want to get it, but then another friend told me that the judge could deny it.
      And that someone is supposedly a lawyer I bet. A judge CAN deny it, and so can your parents.

I really need to get out of this place. I have way too much stress bing put on me because of my parents. I've been suicidal since I was 9 years old and they are only building up the stress. So please, help.
      Why? I think you'll find the biggest part of your stress is how little you AND your parents communicate. ALL of you should learn to talk openly together.
      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
      Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Working...
      X