No announcement yet.

Need help with Minor Emancipation

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help with Minor Emancipation

    My daughter's friend lives in Missouri and wants to be Emancipated from her father. Her mother is died years ago. The girl is 15 and has a Survivor's Benefit income, which the father takes. Understand there are living expenses, but he does not really supply her with clothing and other needs, as he takes it to use for drugs and alcohol. Child welfare was called on the father last week, but did nothing. The kids were told to go live with their father. This girl would like to come live with us in Illinois, we are of no relation. What can she do to get help to get away from her father? We are scheduled to pick her up in June for a 2 month stay.

  • #2
    Unless you are designated her guardians by the courts or she has her parent's permission to stay with you, you face serious legal issues at the Federal level (since you will be crossing state lines) if you pick her up.

    Have you been in touch with child protective services, asking to be appointed her guardians? If not, that's the place to start.

    BTW, this has nothing to do with minor emancipation, which is not possible in this scenario.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Talked with an Attorney

      There is nothing I can do at this point. It is all in the father's hands right now. Child Welfare services let the kids go back to the father who is on drugs and alcohol. Thank you for your input!