Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not taking it as disrespect, just youth thinking they know it all. Which is by no means unusual.

BTW, given that rents and electric bills and phone bills can go up without warning, as can transportation costs and other costs, and since emergencies can happen, you could show the judge a bank book for a savings account with $15,000 or more in it, and he could, and almost certainly would, deny your petition.

Let me give you a hint, here. Of all the hundreds of kids who have come here wanting to be emancipated, exactly one has achieved it. I strongly recommend that you read his blog.

http://blakematt.blogspot.com/2008/0...e-for-you.html

And I also want you to remember that even if you can convince a judge that you are capable of self-support, that is only the first step and is not even remotely a guarantee that emancipation will happen. Go back and read what I said in my second post in this thread. You have to prove self-support or the answer is no, but proving self-support does not mean that the answer is yes.

Remember, emancipation is not and never was designed to give kids a way to leave home. It was and is designed as a way to give legal protections to kids who, for reasons beyond their control, found themselves on their own.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I don't think I know it all, I never claimed I knew it all in any of my post's, I came asking questions that would further my goal which is not only to get out of the house. That's not the only reason I want to emancipate. I feel I'm already my own person because my dad never does anything for me at all, and I basically already have to support myself for almost everything other than food. My grandparents do the rest. Also I thank you for your helpfull comments, I will definatly remember them and take all of them seriously when I find a way to get the money I need.

Also one more question, just out of curiosity. If I got my dad thrown in jail for marijuana, I would have to live with my grandparents who have joint-custody over me, no? Then would I be able to get permission to move out from them since they would legally be my gaurdians since my dad would be in jail? Or would my dad still have a say in it in jail?

Comment

Theres a sign of maturity. "I will get Dad thrown in jail so I can get Grandma to ok me living elsewhere"!
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

You are not ready to live on your own yet. The simple fact that you think you can live on 4k a year speaks that loudly. That's waaay below Florida's Poverty line.

There is no one here that can say what will happen if you report your Dad's drug habits. Possibly Jail, possibly not.

Facts are:

No Judge will emancipate you without a strong work history and without making more than Florida's Poverty Level which is $17,020 a year.

Second, you are not your own person, in fact you don't even know who you are yet. You may think you do but when you get older you will realize you simply didn't.

Even if you go to your grandparents, I hope they are wise enough people to realize you don't have one lick of a chance of making it since you don't have a grasp on what it costs to make it in the world.

Stay young while you can, enjoy that as long as you can. If you have problems at home contact Children & Youth services in your area, it doesn't promise they will remove you but they may be able to help your family as a whole which in the long run could be great.

Comment

Originally posted by phsykokid66 View Post
            How much is the tax then? I can easily cancel out that money and then see what I'm left with. Also as I mentioned there's alot of people that live in my grandparents neighborhood that have alot of money, I could, and will, easily work and make money there also, which is all under the table. No tax included. Please don't take my arguing the wrong way, I'm not trying to disrespect you in anyway, and I'm very grateful for you to be helping me.

But if you add in all the money I can make mowing peoples yards, say average $20-$30 a small yard and $50-$60 a big yard. Say 2-3 yards a day... That's averaging 2 small and 1 big, averages somewhere around $100-$105 a day($55 big yard, $25 small) That's quite a bit that I can save. Ofcourse it's never exact how much I would make but as an average, thats worth something.
            I also wanted to add, that a judge will not take into consideration money that you have earned illegally, which is what "under the table" really means. Income is taxable. If you go before the court with thousands of dollars in earnings from mowing lawns as a source of income, the first thing that will happen is that you will be ordered to pay taxes on those earnings, state and federal.

Also, I have a very large yard. I would not for any reason pay a teenager more than 20 bucks to mow it.

I work part time, and earn approximatly $12,000 a year. I am not the breadwinner, my husabnd is. After one year of work, I managed to save about $1500 of my $12,000 income, and my salary does NOT pay for the essentials at our home. You need to stop thinking about this. It is not going to happen.

Comment

Ok then if emancipation is out of the question, I have another idea I was wondering if it would work. Ok please don't think I'm bieng immature...
              Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
              Theres a sign of maturity. "I will get Dad thrown in jail so I can get Grandma to ok me living elsewhere"!
              My intentions for considering putting my dad in jail is not only to get out of the house, but also because he is now considering selling drugs and I don't want to be around all that. So here's the question, if he gets locked up for marajuana abuse and I was left to my grandparents, because they have joint-custody, would they be able to give me the ok to move out? Or would my dad still have the right to tell me to stay with them in jail? Ofcouse I know I would only be able to live on my own under my grandparents(current legal gaurdian's if my dad goes to jail) permission as long as my dad is in jail, and he would decide if he wanted to let me stay on my own or make me come back, but would that work?

Comment

It would depend entirely on whatever custody agreement was set up at the time by the court.

All the above arguments still hold regardless of who you are looking for to give you permission to move out.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok then if emancipation is out of the question, I have another idea I was wondering if it would work. Ok please don't think I'm bieng immature...

My intentions for considering putting my dad in jail is not only to get out of the house, but also because he is now considering selling drugs and I don't want to be around all that. So here's the question, if he gets locked up for marajuana abuse and I was left to my grandparents, because they have joint-custody, would they be able to give me the ok to move out? Or would my dad still have the right to tell me to stay with them in jail? Ofcouse I know I would only be able to live on my own under my grandparents(current legal gaurdian's if my dad goes to jail) permission as long as my dad is in jail, and he would decide if he wanted to let me stay on my own or make me come back, but would that work?
                  You do not have any authority to put your father in jail. Like emancipation, you are not understanding the laws.

The idea that your father will be "locked up" for marijuana abuse is extremely naive. You don't pick up the phone, call the police, and BAM Dad is in jail for the rest of your childhood.

The police need to conduct an investigation, and the investigation needs to be supported by evidence and justified. Then, if they work really really really fast and have an abundance of superb information, something referred to as "actionable intelligence," then after a month or so (again, that is a super fast investigation), they can secure an arrest warrant. THEN they arrest him. THEN he is given the opportunity to defend himself. In the meantime, he will likely be out on bond and at home. Depending on the number of times he has offended, and the judge, and his lawyer, he may sit in jail for a short while, or he may get probation. The case will probably take a few months to get to that point.

Marijuana possssion is simply not going to bring in a sentence of hard or lengthy jail time, depending on how much he has, whether he intends to sell it and how many times he has been arrested before. And considering your father is a user, not a dealer (according to your posts), then no, he's not a high priority. He'll be able to make a deal if he gives up his dealer. "Thinking" about selling drugs is not a reason to be sentenced to prison.

But's let's forget all that and assume you somehow end up in the care of your grandparents. Where exactly do you plan on going from there?

Comment

So here's the question, if he gets locked up for marajuana abuse and I was left to my grandparents, because they have joint-custody, would they be able to give me the ok to move out?
                    NO.

If they were to be stupid enough to allow you to leave, they would be arrested and charged with child abuse, neglect and abandonment. At the same time, YOU would be placed in a foster home, or possibly a group home until you are 18. This is NOT something you want to happen to you.

Here is the best advice that anyone can give you:

Stay at home, forget about leaving, ask for counseling to help you learn how to cope with your situation, go to school, graduate, and then the day you turn 18, leave.

Comment

Working...
                    X