This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Emancipation Florida

I'm currently 14 years old and planning on emancipation in the future, I live in Florida. I was wondering if I could get some answers here because I want to be sure I'm ready when I turn 16. I'm planning on getting a job in the next couple of months and saving up alot of money to move out. But for the petition the parents have to file for the emancipation, can a legal gaurdian file it or does it have to be my parents? Also would marijuana abuse be enough to get emancipated. I'm constantly around marijuana and I hate it and I constantly get offered to smoke but I find an excuse to go to my room. I know I won't be able to get emancipated but I want to have it all planned out so when I turn 16 I can quickly get started. Thanks for your time.

You have a legal guardian, appointed by the courts, who is not your parents?

And no, marijuana abuse may be a good reason to put you in foster care, but it won't get you emancipated.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

When my mom and dad got divorced she signed over her rights so my dad's parents took join- custody over me to put me on their insurance.

Comment

Before anyone even looks at your reasons, you are going to have to prove to a judge that you can pay for rent, food, clothes, utilities, insurance, medical care, transportation, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life, all by yourself, alone and unassisted, while still going to school and making good grades. You will have to provide the judge with a budget and a plan for independent living, showing how you are going to pay for all those things, where you are going to live, how you are going to earn the money to pay for all of the above outside of school hours. If you cannot do that, it won't matter who signs the petition or what your reasons are because your petition will be denied flat out.

Emancipation is very ****ed hard. It's SUPPOSED to be hard. The judge will be LOOKING for reasons to turn you down. I know this is not your state but just as an example:

In 2005, there were 12 teens emancipated in the state of Georgia. That's out of several thousand petitions. Not 12 hundred, 12. Ten fingers and a couple of toes. The state of Georgia decided that was too many. So they made changes to the laws that tightened up the requirements. Under the new laws, none of the 12 would be eligible for emancipation. And from that day to this, there has not been a single minor emancipated in the state of Georgia.

So I wouldn't be counting too hard on it. If there are reason you need to be removed from the home, placing you with other relatives, putting you in foster care, and making you a ward of the state, will all come before emancipation.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I'll have alot of money saved up by the time I turn 16, only spending 1/4th of it for a car and the rest goes to whatever I need to spend on to prove that I can provide for myself. Also what if I felt he was holding me back from doing what I need to do. Our relationship sucks and neither of us are happy around eachother more than 30 minutes. We both are about to kill eachother and he's already told me that I could get out. I already have 4 years of collage payed for so that wont be a problem. I have a little bit of money saved up already for a car, so thats a lil extra for other things.

Comment

Take it from someone who knows, there is no possible way a 14 year old can save enough in two years to live off her savings. The jobs you can legally do at 14 are limited and will not earn you very much. If you have enough to buy a car using all of your savings two years from now, I'll be surprised.

I've also been in a situation where I had to live off my savings and trust me, they don't last long. You don't have to believe me, but for a judge to accept your savings account as proof that you can support yourself only two years from now, you'll have to earn more money than I do. And I guarantee, at 14 you won't.

Comment

I'm turning 15 next month and plan to get a job right after school.

Comment

Fine.

Come back in two years and tell me how much you've saved.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Florida do you live in?

Comment

Tallahassee. Alright I will.

Comment

Just to remind you that in FL its the parents or legal guardian that must file the petition not the minor
                    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Okay, I just took a brief look at rooms for rent in Tallahassee. We are talking about an unfurnished room in someone's house. The CHEAPEST one I saw was $340 a month. Most of them were closer to $500. At the cheapest, that would mean you would need over eight thousand dollars for rent ALONE, to pay for two years of rent until you are 18. That's not even starting to think about utiliies or food or furniture or transportation. And that's at 2009 rents, which are undoubtably less than they will be two years from now.

At the age of 15, you are limited to 15 hours a week for work. If you are really, really lucky you might manage to find a job making $10 an hour. It's more likely to be $7 or $8. It'll take a long time to save the kind of money you'll need at that rate.

And don't forget, you have to show the judge that you can support yourself all alone without a roommate. You can HAVE a roommate, but you will not be emancipated without proof that you can continue to pay ALL the bills by yourself. And a room big enough for a roommate will cost more. And if you're thinking, oh, my best friend/next door neighbor/boyfriend's family/.Aunt Susan will let me live with them and not charge me, or not charge me much, guess what? That's not emancipation.

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But there's alot more work around my grandparents neighborhood. They live in a rich neighborhood and mowing the lawns and such would bring in a good ammount aswell. For temporary use ofcourse. Aswell as the prices and hours you said I would be eligible for, if I make $7 an hour and work 15 hours a week I would average $5,040 a year, not taking off tax, so in two years that would average $10,080 not including tax. Which would pay for the two years of rent aswell as some of the other bills. It would definatly be tight but I think I could manage without some things such as internet, and T.V. for a while sence I wouldn't have time for them anyway.

Also since you said something about 15 hours a week, would I be allowed to have two jobs and work twice the hours?

Comment

No, you would not. When the law says 15 hours a week, that's exactly what they mean.

And you can't count money that will go to tax.

And there's no guarantee that you'll be able to work a full 15 hours a week every single week.

And there is no freakin' way you'll save every single penny.

And the prices will be higher 2 years from now.

And you'll need furniture; you can't live in a bare room. Don't count on taking a thing with you other than your clothes.

And to heck with internet and TV - you'll have to pay for electricity and phone. That is NOT included in the rent. And it will be mandatory.

You are living in a dream.

Comment

How much is the tax then? I can easily cancel out that money and then see what I'm left with. Also as I mentioned there's alot of people that live in my grandparents neighborhood that have alot of money, I could, and will, easily work and make money there also, which is all under the table. No tax included. Please don't take my arguing the wrong way, I'm not trying to disrespect you in anyway, and I'm very grateful for you to be helping me.

But if you add in all the money I can make mowing peoples yards, say average $20-$30 a small yard and $50-$60 a big yard. Say 2-3 yards a day... That's averaging 2 small and 1 big, averages somewhere around $100-$105 a day($55 big yard, $25 small) That's quite a bit that I can save. Ofcourse it's never exact how much I would make but as an average, thats worth something.

Comment

Like cbg said your living a dream and you paid no attention to what she wrote!
                              http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X