This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia--eamcipation for a 17 year old

I have a young lady living in my home that is living seperately from her parents with their consent. She would like to be emancipated in order to be free to apply for college and not have their interference. They are also trying to make her come home and she does not want to due to the abuse of her step-mother. I have read the Va statute and it seems to me that since she is apart from them and does not want to go home and is almost 18 (3 monthes from her birthday) she should be a candidate for emancipation. I am concerned that she is not supporting herself--we are while she goes to school--and we are happy to continue to help her. Would that be a stumbling block for her to get her emancipation?

It would be not just a stumbling block - it would downright stop the entire process. Self-support is CRITICAL to emancipation. Emancipation MEANS that she is self-supporting. She will not be emancipated if she requires help from someone else to support herself.

If her parents have revoked their permission for her to live with you, then you are putting yourself in legal jeopardy by continuing to have her with you. Abuse can be reported to CPS, but you have no legal grounds to keep her out of her parents' home if they want her back, even if they initially gave permission and you can be charged with several legal violations. When she is 18 if you are willing to have her back and she wants to come, that's fine, but as long as she is under 18, no matter how close her birthday may be, her parents have the final say.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

thanks--I was afraid that was the way it would be--she has her parents permission to stay for another 3 weeks--I am hoping that they will change their minds--CPS is a JOKE--no help there at all!

Comment

Working...
      X