This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im only 15 but i want to get empancipated now... Georgia

I am only 5 months away from my 16 birthday and i want to get empancipated now insted of in august. my dad is allowing me to do it and he is not fighting it. i want to know if i can get it set up so that it wont take long once i turn 16. please help me.
    Last edited by cbg; 03-24-2009, 05:18 AM.

~♥~AllieBaby

There has not been a single minor emancipation approved in Georgia since 2005 and the laws have tightened since then, making it much more difficult to be approved. Please identify what is remarkable about your situation that you should be the first one in four years.

How are you going to support yourself?

Where are you going to live?

What is your plan for independent living?

What is your budget?

How are you going to earn enough money to be completely self-sufficient while still going to school?

The judge is going to ask you all of these questions, and more, and he will be LOOKING for reasons to deny your petition. If he is not 100% satisfied with your answers, he's going to deny your emancipation.

Make no mistake; I am not trying to help you. I am trying to show you that your chances of being emancipated are not much better than, as has been said here before, that of a Kleenex in a blast furnace.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

well see the thing is is that both me and my dad want it and i live with him. i have no contact with my mother because i have no clue where she is and she's on drugs. but that's besides the point, i want to be able to take care of myself and be in control for once. and not have my parents looking over my shoulder all the time. im not trying to run away from rules i just want to be independent. i will have a job and the only reason i dont have one right now is because my dad wont allow me to get one. otherwise i would and i want one.

but thank you for replying to me.

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

That's not even remotely enough to satisfy a judge. On the extremely rare occasions when emancipations are granted, they are granted on the basis of need, not want.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

well its not just want but im not the only one who wants it my parents want me out too so what do we do about that if the judge doesnt allow it?

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

Then you and your parents will have to suck it up till you're 18 because I guarantee you that emancipation is not going to happen under the conditions you've outlined.

Comment

Because I am simply a curious person your Dad wants you out as well but won't let you get a job? Where would you go!?

Comment

no he wont let me get a job but he wants me gone. and i would go live with my boyfriend in his moms basement and then i would get a part time job. and he already has one so we would be paying rent. both of us are 15, he turns 16 on april 2nd and i turn 16 august 26.. but my dad has put up with a lot of crap from me so he has a reason to want me gone. and i read that a valid marrige would be a good reason and my dad and i will pretty much do anything to get away from eachother for now. and my boyfriend has already asked me to marry him. so i dont know but hopefully we can get it to happen..

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

Where is your mother in all this? Because unless she's dead or has had her rights lifted from her by the court, she has a say in this too.

Comment

i dont talk to my mom because she has had all her rights stripped from her, when it comes to my other siblings and she is on meth and well she really has no say AT ALL. she's not any part of my life. and hasnt been for almost 2 years.

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

Did the court take away her rights or did your dad? Because in your state, BOTH your parents have to ACCOMPANY you to get a marriage license (and don't even think about applying before your 16th birthday). So if you're not including your mom in this, you'd better have legal paperwork showing that she's had her rights lifted by the court if you want even a PRAYER of getting a marriage license under age. Which is not guaranteed in the first place.

Comment

well i was just throwing that one out there... but she hasnt had her rights completly lifted for me by the courts but it wont take much to do so.

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

Originally posted by alliebaby93 View Post
                          well i was just throwing that one out there... but she hasnt had her rights completly lifted for me by the courts but it wont take much to do so.
                          Why are you under the impression that court orders, be it emancipation or stripping a parent of their rights, are somehow easy?

It WILL take much to lift her rights. It could take years. In fact, by the time it even gets that far, you will probably be 18 or within an arm's length of it.

Your FATHER needs to be a man and take care of his child. If you are causing problems, knock it off. It's really that simple. Go to school, get decent grades, plan for college or a career, and work at that.

No court in this country is going to emancipate a child so she can live in her boyfriend's home. NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN. No matter how much Dad approves.

Comment

well i might just happen that i go live with my grandparents in minnesota until im 18 but ill finish this semester in ga living with my boyfriend. but i don't know whats gonna happen yet because there is a lot going on. but ill find out more this weekend.

~♥~AllieBaby

Comment

Living with your grandfather is fine. Living with your boyfriend very well may get your boyfriend thrown in jail since you are under age.

Comment

Working...
                              X