This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to be 16 year old needs advice. Georgia

I'm 15 and will be 16 in June. I'm aware that i have to be 16 to get emancipated and want to do it as soon as possible as long as getting a job as soon as possible. My parents are physically and mentally/emotionally abusive. I've been thinking about leaving the house anyways. I just feel that being emancipated would be a little more responsible since they can't interfere and get me into legal trouble if i leave while i'm not emancipated. I want to continue my education but they're threatening to take me out of school. And i know that if i left without their permission they would do anything in their way to get me into legal trouble and take me out of school. My parents are immigrants and i also want to know if that can get them into problems. I also want to know if I could live with someone else other than on my own. In this case my boyfriends family. They already said theyre willing to take me in and will help. The thing is that this summer they plan on moving and by moving they'll be changing school districts. So if i get emancipated can i switch schools on my own? and for proof of where I'm staying am i going to have to show the school something from the family's house or do i have to get my own place? I know its terribly hard to get emancipated but I'm just trying to search for my options. Because I'm desperate and I've been thinking about leaving for years now.

Thank you for the advice.

There hasn't been a minor in the state of Georgia emancipated since 2005. Please identify for us what your plan is for independent living (budget, education, etc.) that will convince a judge that you should be the first one in four years.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If, as you say, your parents are being physically and mentally/emotionally abusive, contact CPS.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I spoke to my school administrators and counselors.

They told me that by this time next year they can help me get emancipated. I explained my situation and they said they'd be glad and willing to help. Things have started getting worse in my house.
        My dad "disowned" me and left all the parenting to my mother. Because i refuse to break up with my boyfriend. And i havent spoken to him in days because of the things that have made everything worse.

Thanks you for the help.

Comment

As I said, there has not been a minor emancipated in Georgia for several years. I'm glad your school counselors think they have enough pull to change that, but you will still need to answer the questions posed in my first response to the satisfaction of a judge, who will be disinclined to grant your petition since the laws were changed after the legislature decided that the twelve approvals in the year 2005 were too many.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Working...
          X