This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice about emancipating myself North Carolina

Ok I need some advise on getting myself emancipated. I am 16 years old and i will turn seventeen on August 12th of this year. My situation at home is very difficult for me. I live with my mom and my mothers fiancee. My dad died when i was one and my mothers fiancee has been in my life since i was two. But he has also been very abusive to my mother for as long as i can remember. I have been through a lot of emotional abuse from my mother and me mother's fiancee. As a child i often took care of my mother because she suffered from depression and her and her fiancee were on drugs very badly for a long time. I have had to deal with the stress of this till i turned about 13 we moved to where we live now when i was in 6th grade and the abuse stopped for a while when we moved but i saw it return here and there but most of the anger was directed towards me. about six months ago maybe not that long ago my mothers fiancee put his hands on me for the first time he chocked me and threw me in the floor and kicked me. Ever since then i have not been able to get along with my mother nor her fiancee. Home is a hard place to be anymore. The other day my mother threatened me and i got afraid when she said she would call her fiancee so i left and went to a friends house. My mother filed me as a missing person and the police told her we needed to do something because i didnt wanna live there anymore. Emancipation is really my only solution because i have no relatives close to where i live now and i don't wanna transfer schools. If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I must have missed the part where you told us about the job you have that will allow you to support yourself, financially, without outside help. The job where you earn enough to pay rent, food, clothes, utilities, transportation, insurance, medical care, school fees and supplies, and all the other incidentals of life while simultaneously going to school and keeping your grades up.

Emancipation is not your answer. Calling CPS is.

I'm very sorry for your situation and I completely understand why you want out. But nothing you have posted suggests that you are a candidate for emancipation. The state is going to look FIRST at your ability to support yourself and your proven history of being able to manage your own affairs. If you don't meet that threshold, your reasons for wanting emancipation are of no value at all. You will not be emancipated based on your situation, but on your ability to care for yourself. And that includes financially.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok well how exactly will it help me? What all will cps do? When i talked with my mom about what i wanted to do she did not agree with emancipation she said foster care group home or i could go live with my grandmother but im unsure about all of them.
      Last edited by confusedneedanwsers; 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

CPS = Child Protective Services. They would investigate your living conditions and determine if you needed to be taken out of the home. If they determined that you did, they would put you in foster care, a group home, or possibly with your grandmother or another relative.

If your mother has given you permission to live with your grandmother and your grandmother is willing, that's a much better solution. But unless you are capable of self-support, emancipation is not an option that's on the table.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I don't have a job at the moment but i do have familes who are willing to support me and take care of me and my boyfriend also wants to help support me and i could look into getting a job. I like staying with my grandmother but she lives an hour and a half away and my grandfather is not in good health he was hit by a drunk driver and he isnt well.

Comment

But that is not emancipation. Emancipation is not living with another family or having your boyfriend support you. Emancipation is supporting YOURSELF.

Until you not only have that job but are earning enough to pay for all the items I enumerated in my first response, you are wasting your time thinking emanciaption.

I'm not saying that you couldn't be sent to live with a friend's family or with a relative; I'm saying that you do not appear to understand what emancipation is and why it is not an option at this time.

Comment

Ok well how do i go about getting sent to live with a friends family or something do i still contact cps?

Comment

Unless your mother gives you permission, yes. If you have your mother's permission to live elsewhere, CPS need not be involved.

Comment

Working...
                X