This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year old, trying to get Emancipated in Oklahoma. Oklahoma

I have a job, I make, on average, $150 every 2 weeks.
    I also have a car, and the title is in my name.
    My boyfriend and I are thinking of getting an apartment, but that would most likely involve me getting an emancipation.
    So here I am.
    My mother smokes pot, which is frequently where most of our money is going to. She also likes to gamble, which doesn't help. And she calls into work a lot, so her checks are less and less each month.
    This morning at 6 AM I went out and got DONUTS, for my mother. (I live alone with her) because it's been icy outside she wanted to take my cell phone to work, I told her no, she had a cell phone, she just needs to put minutes on it, but she doesn't because she would rather have Weed.
    So I went to get her donuts to make up for it.

She completely freaked out, because I left.
    I can't really take living here anymore to be quite honest.
    I try everything to keep her happy, like cleaning the house.
    She does not like my boyfriend, even though he's a great guy. She just doesn't WANT to try and like him BECAUSE he's my boyfriend.

She came home this morning from work and told me she quit her job because she couldn't trust me.
    I don't know yet if this is true, but what should I do to get emancipated?

Turn 18.

First of all, emancipation in your state ONLY gives you the right to sign contracts. It does NOT give you the right to leave home.

Second, emancipation is NEVER granted in any state so that a minor can go live with his/her boyfriend/girlfriend.

Third, to be emancipated in those states which will do so, you need to be able to show a judge that you are COMPLETELY self-sufficient. $150 every two weeks is not even a fraction of what would be considered minimal.

Finally, it doesn't matter how bad your home life is, emancipation is not granted on that basis.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

$150 every two weeks is not even a fraction of what would be considered minimal.
      Just to emphasize this point.

$150 every 2 weeks comes to $3900 per year.

$3900 is less than half what my husband brings home per MONTH. It's STILL tight on his salary.

Not a chance at emancipation because there is no way you can show that you are supporting yourself, and has been pointed out, emancipation in OK is not what you think it is.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

I'm 17 and working on getting emancipated

Hello, My name is Dana Garcia you may call me Dane for short. I am 17 years old and will graduate with 3 months to go until i'm 18. I work for the United States Air Force as a gs-4 i make 13.39 an hour. I make TAKE HOME $1,600 a month(working during school time). My mother is stopping me from getting a jump start on college cause she is nuts! I really need to get emancipated so i can go to summer college at USAO. I will remain living in the same town. By the way to the person that said your husband makes $7,800 a month i don't know what you are doing or if you have nice cars or what, but i am raising the bs flag on what you said. If you had any idea how to budget you wouldn't have that problem with being tight on money with $7,800 a month! So what ever you name is that started this thread just letting you know they are right you have no chance. Sorry either get a better job or something cause you will not make it. I can only afford an apartment $300 electric $120 car $250 insurance $150 water $60 food + toiletries $300 phone $ 24.00 cell $90. AND NEWS FLASH THATS ONLY ONE PERSON!!!!! so if i was you i would stay with my mom. Anyway back on subject as you can see i have planned this out and i can make it on my own don't try and tell me i can't. All i would like to know is should i use a lawyer $3,000 for the whole thing or just file myself?

Comment

Emancipation in OKLAHOMA

This might shed some light on emancipation in Oklahoma. Believe it or not, you can get emancipation in Oklahoma that allows you to have all of the adult benefits. You are probably thinking right now this kid is crazy! No I'm not actually i don't know if the law has changed or what, but as far as a know this is the story. I was talking to my friend at work he said well i have a friend who is getting emancipated right now. At first i was skeptical of the whole thing i thought he was lying. Well turns out he wasn't i saw first hand his friend get emancipated at the courthouse. He then proceeded to go home, pack all of this belongings with an officer in tail, go to a friends for 2 nights then got his own place. All of this was legal! So hopefully that helps you adults that think your save cause you life in Oklahoma. Your not make sure that your child doesn't get to good of a job cause poof they can leave if you mistreat them. The only reason this type of emancipation is allowed is if the following occur:
          The minor can be self-sufficient.
          The minor has been abused(mentally or physically)
          The minor has proof of being abused(mentally or physically)

Just to let you know the whole being self-sufficient thing does not mean go off and live with your friend. That means you have to get your own place or pay rent or room and board. So don't think just cause you parents treat you "bad" cause you have to do some chores means your getting out and going to a friend who has parents that don't make him do chores. This means that if your dad comes home and beats on you and you have a nice job you never did anything to him to deserve the beating then yeah you can probably have a shot at an emancipation.

To all the adults who said that you can't get an emancipation in Oklahoma all i have to say is gets your facts strait.
          Last edited by DaneGarcia; 03-19-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

You tell your friend to get his facts straight, or better yet, show you the law that says you can get emancipated and get all adult benefits. I will be happy to show you the law that supports what I say.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by DaneGarcia View Post
              By the way to the person that said your husband makes $7,800 a month i don't know what you are doing or if you have nice cars or what, but i am raising the bs flag on what you said. If you had any idea how to budget you wouldn't have that problem with being tight on money with $7,800 a month!

Hey Genius, did you notice that person's screen name? They're a parent of 4! Children aren't cheap no matter how much you budget.

Comment

By the way to the person that said your husband makes $7,800 a month i don't know what you are doing or if you have nice cars or what, but i am raising the bs flag on what you said. If you had any idea how to budget you wouldn't have that problem with being tight on money with $7,800 a month!
                Actually, I said he makes LESS than half of $3900/month, but whatever...

As I am assuming you don't have 4 children, I am going to take a wild guess and state that you have no idea the expense of raising one child, much less 4.

Let's see....there's:

food
                shelter
                utilities
                clothing
                immediate education costs
                medical care
                dental care
                insurance
                misc. expenses for fun things (in my case...2 of my kids are competitive gymnatsts. Yep...that adds up to about $18,000/yr for that alone)
                educational investments and trusts

This is by no means an all inclusive list of the expenses we encur. Yes, we willingly invest alot of money for their future that is not strictly necessary. However, we choose to sacrifice for our chidren's future and well being.

All of MY situation stated....

You are not a candidate for emancipation of a minor in the manner you think you should be and neither are any of your friends in OK. What you describe is NOT grounds for emancipation. It is grounds for CPS to investigate and determine whether or not you are better off removed from your family to live in state care. Yeah....last I checked, being in foster care is NOT legal emancipation.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                (unique up on him)
                How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                (same way)

Comment

Working...
                X