This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation issues Wisconsin

So I just read about how hard it is to get emancipated, I've been researching on my own about it, and I'm pretty set on doing it. I am just fifteen now, and I understand I need to be 16 in my state, but I need to know if my situation would call for the consideration of emancipation. My parents are divorced and I have a 19 year old sister who lives with my mother and I in a two bedroom apartment, soon to be a studio because my mom can't afford this. My father has been unemployed for well over two and a half years and makes absolutely no income, nor has even tried to. My mom lost her job in February and just got one this past month, (she was barely making rent before and now is getting paid three dollars less every hour.) I do not get along with any of my family, my sister refuses to talk to me, therefor I have to sleep on a couch or she will kick me out of the bed we were supposed to share. I have gotten in fist fights with all of my family, last year I got kicked out of my house at 12AM on my birthday, and my dad tried to strangle me. My mother and sister caused me to "run away" because they trapped me in a corner and started hitting me. The physical abuse has stopped recently, but I still am called anorexic, lazy, ungrateful, and am ultimately blamed for every problem my family faces. My mom constantly threatens to put me in foster care, but never has. I brought this up to my best friend and I talked to her parents and they seriously said they would adopt me if need be, but my mom won't even let that happen, and she actually knows the adults! I have a psychologist and last time I went I mentioned to her I did not want to be a part of my family any longer because I don't believe it is possible to mend all the broken relationships, she told my mom this, (whom at the time took it calmly) and since then we have been arguing every night. My mother told me I'm not allowed to have fun anymore or go out because I am not trying to help the family. When I attempted to go out, my dad, who is here all the time because now he has no electricity, or food and depends on my mom to survive, grabbed my friend by the shirt through his car window! I stepped in front of my dad and my friends watched that alcoholic abuse me. I do great in school, my friends and everyone who has ever seen me thinks of me as a very respectful, well rounded girl. My parents say I put on a show for everyone and am in reality a monster. I get so depressed coming to my house that I've resorted to self harm, can no longer eat or sleep here, and am unable to cry anymore. My point is, my parents cannot support me, they won't put me up for adoption, and they abuse me, causing me to break the law and run nout. If If I get a job right now, start saving money and things don't get better would emancipation, although a risk, be a good idea?
    (i didn't mean to put this for pity, I really just want to be happy and let my family be happy without me, if thats what it takes!)
    thanks so much!

Originally posted by ambience93 View Post
    So I just read about how hard it is to get emancipated, I've been researching on my own about it, and I'm pretty set on doing it. I am just fifteen now, and I understand I need to be 16 in my state, but I need to know if my situation would call for the consideration of emancipation. My parents are divorced and I have a 19 year old sister who lives with my mother and I in a two bedroom apartment, soon to be a studio because my mom can't afford this. My father has been unemployed for well over two and a half years and makes absolutely no income, nor has even tried to. My mom lost her job in February and just got one this past month, (she was barely making rent before and now is getting paid three dollars less every hour.) I do not get along with any of my family, my sister refuses to talk to me, therefor I have to sleep on a couch or she will kick me out of the bed we were supposed to share. I have gotten in fist fights with all of my family, last year I got kicked out of my house at 12AM on my birthday, and my dad tried to strangle me. My mother and sister caused me to "run away" because they trapped me in a corner and started hitting me. The physical abuse has stopped recently, but I still am called anorexic, lazy, ungrateful, and am ultimately blamed for every problem my family faces. My mom constantly threatens to put me in foster care, but never has. I brought this up to my best friend and I talked to her parents and they seriously said they would adopt me if need be, but my mom won't even let that happen, and she actually knows the adults! I have a psychologist and last time I went I mentioned to her I did not want to be a part of my family any longer because I don't believe it is possible to mend all the broken relationships, she told my mom this, (whom at the time took it calmly) and since then we have been arguing every night. My mother told me I'm not allowed to have fun anymore or go out because I am not trying to help the family. When I attempted to go out, my dad, who is here all the time because now he has no electricity, or food and depends on my mom to survive, grabbed my friend by the shirt through his car window! I stepped in front of my dad and my friends watched that alcoholic abuse me. I do great in school, my friends and everyone who has ever seen me thinks of me as a very respectful, well rounded girl. My parents say I put on a show for everyone and am in reality a monster. I get so depressed coming to my house that I've resorted to self harm, can no longer eat or sleep here, and am unable to cry anymore. My point is, my parents cannot support me, they won't put me up for adoption, and they abuse me, causing me to break the law and run nout. If If I get a job right now, start saving money and things don't get better would emancipation, although a risk, be a good idea?
    (i didn't mean to put this for pity, I really just want to be happy and let my family be happy without me, if thats what it takes!)
    thanks so much!
    You are not a candidate for emancipation simply because it is not available in your state. Emancipation is not available everywhere.

Were you in a different state, you would also not qualify based on what you have written. Unruly children who disobey their parents and harm themselves do not get emancipated.

If you are being abused, call 1-800-4-A-CHILD or look in the phone book for your local child protective services under "social services." You can also talk to a teacher, guidance counselor or any trusted adult.

Comment

Originally posted by MomofBoys View Post
      You are not a candidate for emancipation simply because it is not available in your state. Emancipation is not available everywhere.

Were you in a different state, you would also not qualify based on what you have written. Unruly children who disobey their parents and harm themselves do not get emancipated.

If you are being abused, call 1-800-4-A-CHILD or look in the phone book for your local child protective services under "social services." You can also talk to a teacher, guidance counselor or any trusted adult.

I have only self harmed because my parents tell me I deserve it. And I know there is no statute in my state but is there any other way, like a program or something to get me out? I have talked to a school counselor, she referred me to a psychologist, the psychologist suggested I get adopted, but my mom won't let that happen.
      In fact tonight, she found something I had printed out on emancipation and took back my birthday present, told me I'm not allowed to leave because I don't want to be a part of my family anymore, and anything I ever need she will not supply me with.
      So basically your saying my parent's words against mine in court, saying I'm "unruly" could leave me stuck with them and humiliated?!

Comment

Like stated, if they abuse you you have the option of contacting CPS and filing a report of the abuse, your school counselor is mandated to report this if you have told him/her also.

Comment

"So basically your saying my parent's words against mine in court, saying I'm "unruly" could leave me stuck with them and humiliated?!
          No, she's saying there will be no court appearance at all, because emancipation is not available in your state. You are "stuck with them" for the same reason.

If you are being abused, call the police and report it, every time it happens.

Comment

I have only self harmed because my parents tell me I deserve it. And I know there is no statute in my state but is there any other way, like a program or something to get me out? I have talked to a school counselor, she referred me to a psychologist, the psychologist suggested I get adopted, but my mom won't let that happen.
            In fact tonight, she found something I had printed out on emancipation and took back my birthday present, told me I'm not allowed to leave because I don't want to be a part of my family anymore, and anything I ever need she will not supply me with.
            So basically your saying my parent's words against mine in court, saying I'm "unruly" could leave me stuck with them and humiliated?!
            There are two ways to be emancipated before you are 18 in your state:
            1. Join the military, and you must be 17 WITH parental consent from BOTH parents.
            2. Get married, and you must be 16 and have written, notarized consent from your parents.

I find it very difficult to believe that a psychologist would suggest you get adopted. It just doesn't work like that. No "expert" worth their salt would make that kind of suggestion to a child. I don't buy it.

Being "unruly" does not mean you are bad or everything your parents say is true. It means you are too much for them to handle, which appears to be the case for whatever reason. It would not be their word against yours IN COURT, because there are NO COURT proceedings to be had in your case.

Again, if you are being abused, call 1-800-4-A-CHILD for help, or look in your phone book under social services for an abuse hotline number.

Also, in your first post you said that you "know you have to be 16," now you say you know there is no statute. Don't lie.

Comment

I do know that it is required to be 16 to get emancipated and that there is no statute in Wisconsin for it. I have been looking into it for quite some time, and yes when I mentioned I do not wish to live with either of my parents and I don't think I'm getting proper care with either of them, and explained my reasons to her, my psychologist at Aurora Mental Health Center sat down with my mother and I and tried to talk her into getting me adopted. I don't lie, I just don't feel living with my family is benefiting anyone.

Comment

None of which changes the fact that your state does not provide a means for a minor to be emancipated.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I do know that it is required to be 16 to get emancipated and that there is no statute in Wisconsin for it. I have been looking into it for quite some time, and yes when I mentioned I do not wish to live with either of my parents and I don't think I'm getting proper care with either of them, and explained my reasons to her, my psychologist at Aurora Mental Health Center sat down with my mother and I and tried to talk her into getting me adopted. I don't lie, I just don't feel living with my family is benefiting anyone.
                  You are wrong, kiddo. It is not required to be 16 to be emancipated when there is no emancipation.

Maybe that is a requirement in other states, but not yours. The first two things you typed contradict each other. You do NOT have to be 16. YOU have to be 18.

Your psychologist needs to have her license yanked if she would say such things. You cannot "suggest" to parents to find someone to adopt their teenaged children.

You are not a candidate for emancipation.

Comment

well thanks I guess that answers my question despite the fact other people say there are ways to be emancipated in Wisconsin.

Comment

"Other people" are wrong.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

well thanks I guess that answers my question despite the fact other people say there are ways to be emancipated in Wisconsin.
                        I already told you the only ways to be emancipated under age 18 in your state. Here it is AGAIN:

1. Join the military, and you must be 17 WITH parental consent from BOTH parents.
                        2. Get married, and you must be 16 and have written, notarized consent from both of your parents.

There is no "other" way for a 16 year old to be emancipated, there is no court process, there is no end run around the law, there is no exception.

If you are being abused, please call for help.

Comment

i can help

thanks so much!
                          emancipation is a big thing you really have to think about it. e-mail me somtime and we can talk moe about it. my friend is getting emancipated
                          Last edited by cbg; 11-19-2008, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Kym, unless you are in ambience's state AND YOU ARE NOT, what you think you know about emancipation is meaningless as the laws are state specific.

Comment

And Kym, from what you have posted, your friend will NOT be getting emancipated.

Filing the forms is MILES away from actually achieving emancipation.

Needless to say... AGAIN... there is no loophole to WI emancipation... it doesn't exist.

This is like arguing there has GOT to be a way to drive from Honolulu to LA... there just HAS to be.

There isn't. One doesn't exist. Simple as that.
                              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Working...
                              X