No announcement yet.

I need advie Please !!! Oklahoma

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need advie Please !!! Oklahoma

    Ok well I'm 17 and I would love more then anything in the world is to get Emancipated.I have a good job I'm about to get a car and my license I'm also about to move out in about 5 months but the rate that I'm goin at home I don't know if I can stay that long.Me and my mom fight constantly and my step-dad sometimes just for fun he says he hits me and he knows I hate that.I want to live with my boyfriend and his mom who are willing to take me but his mom is affraid that my mom will tell the appartment people I'm living with them and kick them out is there anyway I can do that with out her being able to be kicked out and Am I even able to get Emancipated?

    signed yours truly
    Brittney who needs to get out
    Last edited by Brittney_needs_help17; 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM. Reason: I need to get out of my house now !!!

  • #2
    Oaklahome does not have an emancipation statute. The closetest thing is this (see below) but it isnt really what your after either

    Oklahoma has some provisions which can be used confer certain rights upon a minor, but those provisions do not "emancipate" the minor as such. Instead, they give the minor the right to enter into binding contracts:

    Quoting Oklahoma Proceedings to Confer Rights of Majority

    §10 91. Authority of district courts.
    The district courts shall have authority to confer upon minors the rights of majority concerning contracts, and to authorize and empower any person, under the age of eighteen (18) years, to transact business in general, or any business specified, with the same effect as if such act or thing were done by a person above that age; and every act done by a person so authorized shall have the same force and effect in law as if done by persons at the age of majority.

    §10 92. Procedure to confer rights of majority Petition Jurisdiction and venue Decree.
    Any minor desiring to obtain the rights of majority for the purpose named in Section 91 of this title may, by his next friend, file a verified petition in the district court of the county in which such minor shall reside, or, if the minor is a nonresident of the State of Oklahoma, said verified petition shall be filed in the county in Oklahoma where said minor owns real estate, setting forth the age of the minor petitioner and that said petitioner is then and has been a bona fide resident of such county for at least one (1) year next before the filing of the petition, or that said minor is a nonresident owning property within the State of Oklahoma, and the cause for which the petitioner seeks to obtain the rights of majority. The petition should state whether or not the parents of the minor are living, and if living, their names and addresses; whether or not a guardian has been appointed for the minor and, if a guardian has been appointed, the guardian's name and address; who has legal custody of the minor and, if the person having legal custody is not a parent or the guardian, the name and address of the person who has custody. And the district court being satisfied that the said petitioner is a person of sound mind and able to transact his affairs, and that the interests of the petitioner will be thereby promoted, may, in its discretion, order and decree that the petitioner be empowered to exercise the rights of majority for all purposes mentioned in this act.


    • #3
      Even if you did live in a state that allowed emancipation (and you don't), the process takes longer than 5 months to complete... and you would need to prove you can live on your own.

      Wait it out.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

      I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

      Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.