This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 yr old Illinois

My girlfriend is 17 years old and for the past couple of months has been living with me. Her mother told her to get out of the house when the mother was caught for having "weed" growing in the house and the daughter had turned her in. The reason for this was the mother had been mistreating her in an abusive manner and when her mother was arressted she was kicked out. Due to drama started by our next door neighbor her mother came and forced her to move out and into another friends house. She has only 3 months until she is 18 but that friends house is filthy and she wants to be back at my house. Her mother will not take her back in.

The police officer I spoke to said the mother could make her come back to her house and press charges against me for harboring a run away. I was looking online and on a legal site the Lawyer stated for a 17 year old that they can leave and can be forced back to the house but the closer he/she is to 18 the harder it is to force that.

We both work and pay the bills for the house, and she is to graduate early come december. Which wouldn't have happened if she lived with her mother. She wanted to do that so she could go to college sooner and because she had more than enough credits to do so.

I know I am rambling on and made many errors in spelling but it is late here and it happened today and I am just trying to find out what to do.

If her mother won't take her home can her mother say she has to stay with so and so? That wouldn't be legal unless filed in paperwork right? I believe the officer is right but then there is the lawyer that stated something close to the same.

Her mother is her legal guardian until she is 18. Therefore, mom can say with whom she stays.

I would agree that the best place for a 17 year old to be living is NOT with her boyfriend.

Then you have a 17 year old with a newborn.

Wait 3 months... you can make it.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Is CPS aware of the fact that the mother kicked her out of the home? Is the mother providing any financial support for her daughter? Mind you, the answers to the questions won't change the answer that Cyjeff gave you. I'm just curious as to why the authorities are allowing the mother to abandon her daughter.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

THe mother for a long time did not even lift a finger just said harsh things causing her to have panic attacks. Only when she was about to get her sentence for the "weed" did she begin to talk to her again. She would bring some food by now and then for her and would pay her phone without telling her. That is the most the mother did. My gf moved out of her mothers house back in April or May and during that time she worked at MCdonalds and would pay for her things and stayed with a friend and if she needed help I would give her whatever help I could. I don't believe the authorities really know this happened. The mother told her to go stay at a friends house and not come back. The resource officer at the HighSchool told her about a lawyer who would help her get a temporary change of guardian ship while trying to get her emancipated and the mother threatend to never speak with my gf ever again if she did that.

Comment

So your girlfriend is worried that a mother that abandoned her is never going to talk to her again?

Anyway, doesn't matter. The emancipation process is not something that is completed in a weekend. If you tell the court you will be 18 in three months, they won't even hear the case.

Wait it out.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

That is the sad part about it she is afraid of that happening. Yeah that is what we planned on doing.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X