abuse, abandonment, step adoption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abuse, abandonment, step adoption

I left an abusive husband five years ago, have a permanent injunction against him, and have custody of my children. In the last few weeks the ex sent my children a note saying that he wanted no more to do with them until they are out from under my "mentally ill" control. He continually makes nasty comments like that in notes to me and to the children.

Child support is paid through income deduction order, but can I still prove abandonment since he has not seen, called, or visited them in over two years?

I am remarried now to a wonderfully loving man who never even raises his voice to me and he would like to adopt my kids.

The divorce and injunction were done in Florida, and I now live in Illinois...

What are my options legally?

Depends on how your state of residence views support. Some count support as contact with the child, thus no abandonment. However, if your new husband wishes to adopt the children, the children support it and there is no relationship and no likelihood of a positive one ever occurring, I encourage you to pursue the stepparent adoption. There are other grounds you can puruse under whatever your state's statutes are- probably stuff like neglect, abuse, mental cruelty, etc....

Comment

Working...
    X