Domestic Abuse Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Abuse Oklahoma

If my boyfriend went to jail because he hit me and I told the police I wanted to drop the charges but they kept them anyway.....does this mean when the DA contacts me I can drop them eventually?

Probably not. Many jurisdictions have a rule that they enforce the law even if the reporter doesn't want to press charges. Too many women recant and end up abused or even killed later. AND, family fights are a good way for cops to get killed as well. Domestic abuse must be stopped, and this is one of the ways to do it, regardless of whether the complainant wants the guy back.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Even if this is a first offense? I have heard of other girls dropping the charges and the state did not proceed to pick them back up and charge their partners. I hope I can get it dropped. This person is not a violent person all the time. It was a mistake and I know this. Thanks for your info, though.

Comment

Originally posted by brit2102k View Post
        Even if this is a first offense? I have heard of other girls dropping the charges and the state did not proceed to pick them back up and charge their partners. I hope I can get it dropped. This person is not a violent person all the time. It was a mistake and I know this. Thanks for your info, though.
        What you just wrote is what every abused person states off saying. Is being violent only some of the time ok with you? Just because it is his first offense doesn't mean it was his first time being violent, only the first time caught. I suggest you read up on domestic violence before you make any rash decisions.

What could he possibly contribute to your relationship that makes being abused worth it?

Comment

This person is not a violent person all the time.
          HELLO!!!! He shouldn't be violent ANY of the time. Period. It's a deal breaker. He needs his butt kicked to the curb.

This is EXACTLY why the D.A. will go forward with the charges. Because some women don't have the self esteem to get a decent guy. Because the next time he does this it will be worse. Because whenever they get a call for domestic violence, their lives are on the line. Sorry, but I agree with HRinMA. You're showing signs of being abused.

Leave the jerk in jail and move on. Oh, and BTW, as long as you think this is 'ok', you'll keep attracking guys who are abusive. You need to talk to a counselor and think long and hard about why you think this is OK.
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Alice that is what I don't understand. In fact I had a girlfriend just like that. I proposed to marry her, she got skittish and said no, and we split up. She got in with this guy, and he got her on drugs. And he beat her. Last time I saw her she looked older than her mother. She had needle tracks up her right arm, nasty & bruised. She stunk, had a really awful odor (almost like something rotting with heavy does of perfume), and she was asking me to take her back. I told her no. I smarted off and walked away- "Nope. Ya snooze ya lose. See ya!" God did that hurt. But what else can a person do?

Some women, it's not self-esteem Alice. It's not any of that love crap. Some women just plain ain't got no thinking power. They go for what's on the surface, not what's down deep. They can be so superficial, it's too unrealistic.

Her, she had this thing about wanting a Hollywood life. Well, she got it. Next time she sees a drug addict in an alley dead or dying on "Law & Order", she can always imagine that's her. I guess. I dunno.

Some folks just ain't got the ability to think.

Sorry. /end rant
            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
            I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
            Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

OP, in your other thread you said you were in jail for a couple of days. Was this a mutual assault and you both want it dropped?

Comment

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=278056
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks Betty, I wasn't sure how to add the link.

Comment

It sounds like both of you need to go separate ways.

I remember the cops showing up after the neighbors called them about a "fight". I was ready to be hauled away, until they saw the bruises on me. (She pushed me down the stairs) They let me go, and told her to calm down.

Times have changed. Now both can and will be arrested.

Listen to Alice.

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
                      Thanks Betty, I wasn't sure how to add the link.
                      You're welcome.
                      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
                      X