PFA law in Pennsylvania and employment Pennsylvania

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFA law in Pennsylvania and employment Pennsylvania

A friend living in PA recently was kicked out by his wife who is filing for divorce, and then a week later she filed for a temporary PFA, and later it was extended to 6 months or until the divorce is final. He was drinking during the marriage, but she never said anything about it till she decided it was over. Actually, she even bought beer and brought it home to him, and we would hear her on the phone laughing different times when we called and he was drinking. I had been talking with her until a week after all this happened, and until a week BEFORE, there was never any indication that there was any problem...so I can't figure out what happened, and when she did start talking, it was just complaints that he was drinking, she never said anything about any kind of abuse - verbal or mental...and even sent me an e-mail that said if someone was looking for a man that was "faithful and wanted to stay home all the time, he would be perfect".

He has stopped drinking and is getting counseling now. He has no interest in contacting her or trying to work things out since he feels she should have at least said that there was some kind of problem before calling it quits - and she has moved her new "friend" into the home at this point (less than a month after she kicked him out). She has said that she is going to keep the PFA on him even after the divorce. He has not made any threats or made any attempts to contact her - so I don't know if she can do this?

This is his first marriage and her 5th. They have no children, and both had sold their previous homes to buy the home that they were living in. He was found out that his health insurance has been canceled (it was through her employment), and that in less than a month his job is going to be eliminated. At this point he is going to have to do something, and his job training is a truck driver. He would like to go back "over the road" - but in the PFA it says he can't leave the state. If it is terms of employment, can he take a job where he travels? What he would actually like to do is move totally AWAY from Pennsylvania, to put as much distance as possible between them - is that an option? We've known him for over 20 years, and he has never been violent, or abused anyone, so as far as we are concerned - he would be welcome here if he has the option of leaving the state. He does not have access to a computer or the internet - so I offered to find out what I can for him. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any help - ideas - or suggestions, would be appreciated!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    A friend living in PA recently was kicked out by his wife who is filing for divorce, and then a week later she filed for a temporary PFA, and later it was extended to 6 months or until the divorce is final. He was drinking during the marriage, but she never said anything about it till she decided it was over. Actually, she even bought beer and brought it home to him, and we would hear her on the phone laughing different times when we called and he was drinking. I had been talking with her until a week after all this happened, and until a week BEFORE, there was never any indication that there was any problem...so I can't figure out what happened, and when she did start talking, it was just complaints that he was drinking, she never said anything about any kind of abuse - verbal or mental...and even sent me an e-mail that said if someone was looking for a man that was "faithful and wanted to stay home all the time, he would be perfect".

He has stopped drinking and is getting counseling now. He has no interest in contacting her or trying to work things out since he feels she should have at least said that there was some kind of problem before calling it quits - and she has moved her new "friend" into the home at this point (less than a month after she kicked him out). She has said that she is going to keep the PFA on him even after the divorce. He has not made any threats or made any attempts to contact her - so I don't know if she can do this?

This is his first marriage and her 5th. They have no children, and both had sold their previous homes to buy the home that they were living in. He was found out that his health insurance has been canceled (it was through her employment), and that in less than a month his job is going to be eliminated. At this point he is going to have to do something, and his job training is a truck driver. He would like to go back "over the road" - but in the PFA it says he can't leave the state. If it is terms of employment, can he take a job where he travels? What he would actually like to do is move totally AWAY from Pennsylvania, to put as much distance as possible between them - is that an option? We've known him for over 20 years, and he has never been violent, or abused anyone, so as far as we are concerned - he would be welcome here if he has the option of leaving the state. He does not have access to a computer or the internet - so I offered to find out what I can for him. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any help - ideas - or suggestions, would be appreciated!
    What type of job has he been doing recently?
    Is he still employed?

He really needs to speak to a local attorney. He is entitled to at least half of the marital home and other marital assets. I have no idea why a PFA would have a provision in it restricting the party from leaving the state, which is one of the reasons that he needs to get a consult with a local attorney right away. When he goes for the consult he needs to take a copy of the PFA and a ciopy of the divorce petition.

Comment

Working...
    X