Confused and sad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused and sad

Hi! I have a few questions that i would like to be answered if possible. I am a mother of a 16 year old who is 37 weeks pregnant. We live in michigan. The father of the baby is 16. He just turned 16. my daughter will be 17 in september.Anyways,the baby's father and my daughter are not together. they havent been for a while. The father hasnt really been around for the pregnancy and it seems like he only comes around to tell her how he wants the baby. My daughter is considering putting his name on the birth certificate and giving the baby his last name. Than that will give him legal rights to the baby right? Another question I have is me and my husband are thinking about moving to Georgia in July and i dont know if i have to take my daughter and granddaughter with them or how we should do this and what my daughter should do so if you have any answers please let me know. thanks

no- putting dad on the birth cert and giving the child the dad's last name does not automatically give him rights- I think he may have to sign an AOP before they would even let her put him on the cert

dad owes your daughter nothing during the pregnancy- his duty is to the child- not your daughter
    http://www.gestaltmediation.com/

Comment

Originally posted by la gordita
      Hi! I have a few questions that i would like to be answered if possible. I am a mother of a 16 year old who is 37 weeks pregnant. We live in michigan. The father of the baby is 16. He just turned 16. my daughter will be 17 in september.Anyways,the baby's father and my daughter are not together. they havent been for a while. The father hasnt really been around for the pregnancy and it seems like he only comes around to tell her how he wants the baby. My daughter is considering putting his name on the birth certificate and giving the baby his last name. Than that will give him legal rights to the baby right? Another question I have is me and my husband are thinking about moving to Georgia in July and i dont know if i have to take my daughter and granddaughter with them or how we should do this and what my daughter should do so if you have any answers please let me know. thanks
      The father will have no rights until paternity is legally established and he sues in court for custody/visitation, whether his name is on the birth certificate or not. Now, as they are not together and it sounds like they are not planning on reconcilling, I would advise your daughter to give the child HER last name, or if she is deadset on the child having the father's last name, hyphenating it with her last name (ex, Mary Smith- Jones (jones being her last name) If she wants to put the father's name on the bc, that is fine and has no bearing on the last name of the child. But it will certainly make the future easier on both of them if the last names are the same. (think school, doctor's offices, etc.)

Your daughter is still a minor. She does have medical emancipation for herself and the child. However, that does not mean that she is legally emancipated. Until or unless that happens, you are still responsible for her. The only way she can live on her own is if you give her permission or if the court grants legal emancipation. Your daughter goes with you. He can sue to try to stop the mother from moving with the child, but if he is not granted custody (doubtful, unless your daughter is deemed unfit or a danger to the child) I don't think there is any legal way to stop them.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

I am so sorry you are going through this. I gave my child his dad's last name, we married 6 months after my son was born. He was there for me through the whole pregnancy. However, it was not always pleasent. We have always had a bad relationship. I felt like I had to give my child his last name. Now, if I had it to do over....my son would of been giving my last name at that time, and then my soon to be ex (now) could have went through the legal stuff to had it changed if he wanted to. I just don't want your daughter to feel that she has to give the child his last name.

Comment

Legal paternity

If your daughter is not married the baby's father must sign an affidavit acknowledging paternity at the hospital or later to be put on the birth certificate, or she must sue him in court for child support/paternity. By him signing the affidavit and being on the birth certificate he has LEGAL rights to the child that is the point of the affidavit, she also can't put him on without his permission or a paternity test. If he signs he has legal rights to the child and he can take your daughter to court for visitation. Your daughter and the boy seem young and are probably immature, don't count him out until he has had a chance to get to know his child, every child deserves a father whether you like him or not. Men don't get the same bond with unborn babies as women do, we feel them growing inside us, this might not become real to him until after his baby is born.

Comment

Originally posted by mamakat
            If your daughter is not married the baby's father must sign an affidavit acknowledging paternity at the hospital or later to be put on the birth certificate, or she must sue him in court for child support/paternity. By him signing the affidavit and being on the birth certificate he has LEGAL rights to the child that is the point of the affidavit, she also can't put him on without his permission or a paternity test. If he signs he has legal rights to the child and he can take your daughter to court for visitation. Your daughter and the boy seem young and are probably immature, don't count him out until he has had a chance to get to know his child, every child deserves a father whether you like him or not. Men don't get the same bond with unborn babies as women do, we feel them growing inside us, this might not become real to him until after his baby is born.
            No, being declared the legal father gives him the legal grounds to SUE for his visitation/custody rights. If the couple is not married, the mother automatically has custody from birth until otherwise ruled by a court. Just signing the affidavit of paternity does not award him his paternal rights.
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
              No, being declared the legal father gives him the legal grounds to SUE for his visitation/custody rights. If the couple is not married, the mother automatically has custody from birth until otherwise ruled by a court. Just signing the affidavit of paternity does not award him his paternal rights.
              Signing the affidavit establishes legal paternity just like a court hearing, and as stated in my first reply "If he signs he has legal rights to the child and he can take your daughter to court for visitation". I never stated that signing automatically gave him visitation, just grounds to go to court to seek visitation.

Comment

Originally posted by mamakat
                Signing the affidavit establishes legal paternity just like a court hearing, and as stated in my first reply "If he signs he has legal rights to the child and he can take your daughter to court for visitation". I never stated that signing automatically gave him visitation, just grounds to go to court to seek visitation.
                I understand what you are saying now, but the way you worded it is very confusing. Signing the affidavit does NOT give the father any legal rights. He has to petition the court for his rights. The affidavit gives him the grounds to go to court. Telling the poster that the signed affidavit gives the father legal rights and he can go to court can be misleading, especially since she had already recieved the clear answers and is in a confused and scared state to begin with.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

I was just wondering why people don't beleive that men who create babies out of wedlock, but still want their children shouldn't have the same rights as the mothers. Fathers have the right to be parents. Studies have shown that children benefit from having two parents not one. If the father continuously tells your daughter he wants to be a part of his childs life, which isn't normally the case, then why not let him, for the sake of the daughter and grandchild. You are worried about him having legal rights, but it is his child too.

Comment

Working...
                  X