Paternal Rights Re: Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paternal Rights Re: Termination

My 17 year old daughter is pregnant. Her boyfriend is 18. My daughter is suffers from a BiPolar disorder and her psychiatrist has recommended she terminate the pregnancy since she will be unable to take her medicine. I agree with him because I feel she is too young to handle the responsibility of having a child.

My question is does her boyfriend have any rights if she chooses to terminate the pregnancy? He wants her to have the baby. Can he stop the termination from happening?

Thank you.
    Besidemyself

Originally posted by HeyStay
    Does her boyfriend have any rights if she chooses to terminate the pregnancy? He wants her to have the baby. Can he stop the termination from happening?
    Not a chance - and this has been discussed frequently here. Some people may not like it, but the father of the child has no right to "tell" the mother to have the baby. The flip side, which many people find unjust, is that the mother has every right to "tell" the father he is going to have a child.

It's not perfect, but this is the way it is. Men simply have fewer rights concerning the termination or continuation of a pregnancy (planned or unplanned). Not a chance in the world a judge would order your daughter to carry this child to term.
    Last edited by boobatuba; 04-30-2006, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I just want to add that if your daughter does not want the abortion, but you and the doctor feel it is medically necessary, you will may have to get a court order. Once a girl becomes pregnant, she has MEDICAL emancipation for her heath care choices and those of her baby.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

Mommyof4 is right....but, why dont you see if the father and his family may want to keep it? Now,now ladies, dont chew my head off, im only human!
        Some live and learn while some learn to live

Comment

Originally posted by knot
          Mommyof4 is right....but, why dont you see if the father and his family may want to keep it? Now,now ladies, dont chew my head off, im only human!
          Normally, I would agree with you, and if it is at all possible, I believe that would be a good solution. However, it sounds that in this case, the doctor is worried about the mother's health DURING the pregnancy. This is a tough situation all around and there is no one correct answer. You just have to do what is best and hope that the outcome is worth it.
          HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
          (unique up on him)
          (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by HeyStay
            My 17 year old daughter is pregnant. Her boyfriend is 18. My daughter is suffers from a BiPolar disorder and her psychiatrist has recommended she terminate the pregnancy since she will be unable to take her medicine. I agree with him because I feel she is too young to handle the responsibility of having a child.

My question is does her boyfriend have any rights if she chooses to terminate the pregnancy? He wants her to have the baby. Can he stop the termination from happening?

Thank you.
            Besidemyself
            Your daughter will probably suffer either way so get ready, terminating a pregnancy isn't easy, regardless of what people say. It has serious psychological implications. She has every right to terminate her pregnancy if she chooses to. But as to you and the doctor, if you were aware of her psychological condition beforehand, why weren't measures taken to prevent pregnancy, and saying you didn't know she was having sex doesn't count, kids obviously have sex. Preventative measures are best. Abortion is a horrible choice to have to make.

Comment

Originally posted by mamakat
              Your daughter will probably suffer either way so get ready, terminating a pregnancy isn't easy, regardless of what people say. It has serious psychological implications. She has every right to terminate her pregnancy if she chooses to. But as to you and the doctor, if you were aware of her psychological condition beforehand, why weren't measures taken to prevent pregnancy, and saying you didn't know she was having sex doesn't count, kids obviously have sex. Preventative measures are best. Abortion is a horrible choice to have to make.
              You know, this really isn't the time to be placing blame. Right now, the focus needs to be on what can be done to handle the situation as best as possible. Recriminations can wait until after this crisis is dealt with. I'm sure the family is in enough pain and turmoil already. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but everybdy should demonstrate a little bit of tact.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              (unique up on him)
              (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                You know, this really isn't the time to be placing blame. Right now, the focus needs to be on what can be done to handle the situation as best as possible. Recriminations can wait until after this crisis is dealt with. I'm sure the family is in enough pain and turmoil already. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but everybdy should demonstrate a little bit of tact.
                When it comes to abortion, my comments were tactful, the doctor and mother could of had a hand in prevention, now they want the girl to abort. There is nothing tactful about having your unborn child ripped from your womb, whether it is for the best or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mamakat
                  When it comes to abortion, my comments were tactful, the doctor and mother could of had a hand in prevention, now they want the girl to abort. There is nothing tactful about having your unborn child ripped from your womb, whether it is for the best or not.
                  And exactly how did your judgement and contempt help answer any of the questions? Where was advice on any legal solution?
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  (unique up on him)
                  (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by knot

The child is preventing her from taking her medicine. Depending on how severe her bipolar disorder is, it could end up killing both of them because she could end up attacking herself or committing suicide. Not only that she would be a danger to society and hurt someone else. This a case where abortion is a good option, and normally I wouldn't say that.

I think there is a lifetime movie based on a true story about a women in a similar situation.

Comment

If the doctor thinks it would be the best for her then explain the best you can other wise this is her child and it is her decsion to make just tell her to be carefull!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X