My parents are trying to take my son

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents are trying to take my son

I live in VA and my parents are trying to get full custody of my son. I was granted full custody on 2/22/06 because my soon to be ex-husband is in jail for beating me up and trying to kill me in front of our son. He is having communications with my parents and that is the reason I will not let my son go to their house. My mother called last week and said my ex wants me to agree to house arrest for him at his dad's house. When I said no she told me I have to leave their land. Now they are filing for custody of my son. I am not an unfit mother. I work full-time, have a wonderful babysitter and provide everything my child needs. What grounds if any could they take my son from me?

Originally posted by LovingMother
    I live in VA and my parents are trying to get full custody of my son. I was granted full custody on 2/22/06 because my soon to be ex-husband is in jail for beating me up and trying to kill me in front of our son. He is having communications with my parents and that is the reason I will not let my son go to their house. My mother called last week and said my ex wants me to agree to house arrest for him at his dad's house. When I said no she told me I have to leave their land. Now they are filing for custody of my son. I am not an unfit mother. I work full-time, have a wonderful babysitter and provide everything my child needs. What grounds if any could they take my son from me?
    They have no chance of getting custody based on the information you gave. They won't even get past pre-trial.

1. It appears as though you a perfectly fit to raise the child.

2. THEY are siding with the person that tried to kill their own child!

3. They don't have much of a relationship with the child right now.

I think cutting them out of your lives all together would be acceptable. My suggestion, move, don't tell them where you are moving to and never speak to them again.

Comment

I agree 100% with Ceara. They have no chance and you have no obligation to offer them the privilege of being in your or your child's lives. Get away from these people and stay lost to them.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

Thank you both so much. I just feel like I am at my wits end. My parents hate me and they are trying to do everything to ruin my life. My dad came to my home yesterday and took my son's 4-wheeler. I told him to leave it be and he dared me to come out of the house and stop him. On top of that I had to go to the ER yesterday and ended up losing my job. Now I'm jobless and almost homeless. I think my parents are trying to screw me anyway they can.

Comment

Thank you both so much. I just feel like I am at my wits end. My parents hate me and they are trying to do everything to ruin my life. My dad came to my home yesterday and took my son's 4-wheeler. I told him to leave it be and he dared me to come out of the house and stop him. On top of that I had to go to the ER yesterday and ended up losing my job. Now I'm jobless and almost homeless. I think my parents are trying to screw me anyway they can.
          You need to do what ever it takes to get as far away from these people as possible, ASAP, before you get into a situation where they actually COULD have a chance to take your child.

Comment

Move Far Away

Trust me when I say move away. My mother did the same thing to me with my now 11 yo and hes been with his father since he was 5. Just be careful cause mine kept calling DHHS until they came and took my kids. I did get my at the time 2 yo back. She was 10 months when they removed her then placed her in the home of 2 women if you know what I mean by that. Not predijuce but come on now. Either way get out now before its to late and they push you over the edge. Oh and there are laws about them evicting you to. Just cause your family they have to give you notice, trust me on that. Mine did the same to me and I sat where I was til I found a place or they legally got me out. I finally found a place and had to jump into something which is now the worse thing in my life. Family can be your worse enemies sometimes. Be careful

Comment

Wow!!! Thank you so much. It sounds as if you have been through the crap I am going through now. I've always heard that what don't kill you only makes you stronger. As far as the moving far away...that is a very good option that I am considering. Thanks gurl.

Comment

Wow!!! Thank you so much. It sounds as if you have been through the crap I am going through now. I've always heard that what don't kill you only makes you stronger. As far as the moving far away...that is a very good option that I am considering. Thanks gurl.
                When (not if) you do, do NOT give them any notice or information about where you are going. Disappear. Good luck.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                  When (not if) you do, do NOT give them any notice or information about where you are going. Disappear. Good luck.
                  But make sure that you give your address to the court if there is a court order that requires you to. Also, keep in touch with a close friend in the area that can keep an eye out incase your parents or dad try to file anything with the courts. If there is a hearing set and you don't show up, you could lose custody by default and be charged with kidnapping.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
                    But make sure that you give your address to the court if there is a court order that requires you to. Also, keep in touch with a close friend in the area that can keep an eye out incase your parents or dad try to file anything with the courts. If there is a hearing set and you don't show up, you could lose custody by default and be charged with kidnapping.
                    Yeah, guess I should have included those invaluable nuggets. Still, disappear as far as your family is concerned.
                    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                    (unique up on him)
                    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
                      Yeah, guess I should have included those invaluable nuggets. Still, disappear as far as your family is concerned.
                      What seems obvious to those that have already been through the courts, isn't always seen by others. I would hate for her to come back 6 months down the road cussing us because she lost custody by default.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I talked to my attorney this morning and she said move. Thanks guys. You've really helped.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I talked to my attorney this morning and she said move. Thanks guys. You've really helped.
                          Let us know how things go. Just don't tell us where you are .

Comment

Court date set for 05/03/06....wish me luck. After I win this I'm taking my son and moving as far away from this place as possible.

Thanks for Everything,
                            A Loving Mother

Comment

We had the custody hearing today. I was again granted full legal and physical custody of my son. My parents were awarded visitations at their house every other weekend from 10am Sat- 12pm Sun. I was willing to work with my parents on this as long as there is no contact from my soon to be ex with my son. The judge told my soon to be ex today no contact what-so-ever with my son until he is released from prison and then that is only going to be supervised visitations.

The only part that sucks is that I am NOT allowed to leave the state with my son for longer than 10 days. We have to appear in court again on July 19th. That is to allow time for home studies and to see how the visitations are going with my parents. The judge said if I was gone longer than 10 days then I would be charged with kidnapping.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers and information,
                              A Loving Mother

Comment

Working...
                              X