• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disavowed
    started a topic Paying too much

Paying too much

Illinois - am I paying too much?
    OK, 3 different children with 3 different ex-wives. The state is taking so much that they are taking the max and still not getting all that I am ordered to pay. I am getting behind because they have it set up individually for each child and not considering the other child support orders I also have to pay. How in the world do I go about fixing this. I can't afford a lawyer. They are taking 50% of my take home pay. HELP!

-DISAVOWED

• curious64108
    replied
    Originally posted by mom26 View Post
    I think you need to get a modification asap. I think you are paying way to much for each child. How do they expect you to live as well.
    The truth of the matter is they system does NOT care if the Father's can live or pay their bills or not. The system doesn't even care if the support is paid as long as the Non Custodial parent suffers. The system should be about the children and support for them, but that isn't how it is in my situation. The whole system would rather my husband be in jail than for him to be able to pay reasonable child support payments. We currently pay close to 900 for two children and are living with a relative because we lost our house due to the financial strain. We have also fallen behind in payments as well and my husband is facing jail time. But no one seems to care that we both are working all the time but only make about 1500 a month. My husband pays what he can, but sometimes the payments are not in full and we are currently facing this judge who has a record of sending NC parents to jail if they fall behind even a payment. If the system was in place for the child, it would seem that some payment is better than none if the NC parent is sitting in jail. Its like a never-ending hellish nightmare. The mother chooses not to work because I guess her soap-operas are too important to her. It just pisses me off that the system is set up to screw people over, especially the children. I don't think my husband's ex deserves the money, but its not for her. It is for the kids and although I don't think she uses it wisely, there's not much I can do about that. But putting fathers who are behind in jail isn't really the answer because then NO payments are ever going to be made. That isn't a viable solution.

Leave a comment:

• Ohio "Step" Mom
    replied
    I'm glad that things are working out for you. Just read the whole thread. If I were you, I would contact your child support agency on Monday to see if the refund has been credited. Make note of the person you spoke with and their extension. I haven't dealt with your state but in ours it always seems to take a few months for them to pull their heads out of their butts.

I'm on the other end of this right now with my ex as he tries everything to avoid doing what is right. He makes 100K (and I less than 40K) a year and claims he is too poor to pay the amount of our most recent order. He's supposed to insure our child but (since 1998) refuses to give me the insurance information, and is now fighting the court because they credited me with the amount it is costing me to insure her as well as the amount.

Shorter point being, you are doing the best you can with what you have. NCP, CP, AARP, NAACP, IRS, PTSD, ADHD, I really don't care what the situation, you are a good and decent person for doing what you can and I hope all works out in your favor....in very short order.

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    Nothing has been reduced as of yet. Just got a better paying job where I make enough that I get to keep over half my check finally. My oldest has just turned 18 this past December. Received a new order for me to have to continue paying until my arrears have been paid, which as of 2/15/2007 are $1152.72. Now the strange part. I just received notice that my Federal Refund has been sent to pay the arrears. I wonder what is going to happen, because I am positive that my refund will cover the arrears. Will they realize it right away and stop the order? or - Will it take months for them to realize and then I end up overpaying? And then will I ever get my overpayment back? Any ideas? Please help.

still,

disavowed

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    Thanks for all the support your forum has shown me.

disavowed
    Last edited by disavowed; 02-24-2007, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ceara
    replied
    Originally posted by madmom
    There has to be a way for you to get it reduced. I should give you my ex's phone number he can work the system good...lol..He used to see our daughter 3 days a week therfore it was calculated as a percentage taking into consideration the time he spent with her. His support obligation ended up being $47.00 per month plus $10.00 towards arrears. That was 3 years ago, and since then he has only taken her one day a week, and he has been in arrears since October 20th.
    He still had the guts to tell me he was claiming her on his taxes this year, even though his earned income was $50.00( no joke) and his unemployment was $5,200.00 !!
    That's the biggest problem with the child support system. It seems that the only ones that are punished are those that actually try.

Leave a comment:

• madmom
    replied
    There has to be a way

There has to be a way for you to get it reduced. I should give you my ex's phone number he can work the system good...lol..He used to see our daughter 3 days a week therfore it was calculated as a percentage taking into consideration the time he spent with her. His support obligation ended up being $47.00 per month plus $10.00 towards arrears. That was 3 years ago, and since then he has only taken her one day a week, and he has been in arrears since October 20th.
    He still had the guts to tell me he was claiming her on his taxes this year, even though his earned income was $50.00( no joke) and his unemployment was $5,200.00 !!

Leave a comment:

• ceara
    replied
    I hope you can get some help with this. You should get bonus points for keeping up with all of the payments as much as you have all these years. Most people would have just given up all together and paid nothing instead.

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    Update

Sending all of my info today for the review. I am going to list the financial part of this and see if it helps shed some light.

First, they wanted to know my Gross Monthly Earned Income

$1240.00

Next they wanted my deductions (taxes, child support)

$717.24

Which, when subtracted, equals my total monthly income:

$522.76

Now, from there they wanted to know my assets, which amounted to:

$19.76 (in bank at the moment)

This was added to my total monthly income to show my Total assets:

$542.42

Next they asked about my monthly expenses (rent, vehicle expense, groceries, etc.)

$540.00

Now I know this looks pathetic, but I just wanted to share these amounts, and yes, these amounts are real.

Also, here is the letter that I included with the order:

February 20, 2006

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am including this letter to give you some more information. I have included copies of all 3 support orders that are in effect. I realize that one of the children is over 17 and may not be subject to a review, but I wanted you to know that there are 3 orders in place at this time. I am currently paying an amount that far exceeds my ability to pay. The amounts that were withheld were determined long ago and, to my knowledge, were not based on a formula that considered the other child-support orders that were already in place. The amount is so extreme based on my current pay that it can not be completely paid out of my check. I am hopeful that all the circumstances are taken into consideration when deciding on my support modification.

Respectfully,
    R
    Documents enclosed:

2005 W-2s
    Child support orders
    Certification of Income and Expenses
    Pay Stubs

I am mailing this today and hope that there will be a positive outcome. I will keep you all posted.

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    Update

Ok, here's another update for everyone. I have received review notification from Child Support in Illinois. They only sent me reviews on the two youngest children, but I believe this is because the oldest is now 17 and would not be subject to a reduction. So, I will fill these review papers out which included a questionnaire about my pay, etc. I will also include a letter making sure they understand that there is another order in effect as well.

It seems like this is moving along a lot quicker than I thought.

I will try to post the type of information that I give them in the questionnaire and in the letter I plan on including.

I hope this is helping someone else who has run into the same thing as I have.

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    Ok, some more good news. I am going to be able to claim my son this year on taxes. This will help things out also. And in case you are wondering - 100% of my refund goes to paying child support. As I get further out of the hole I will keep you all updated.

Leave a comment:

• shedo
    replied
    Well I'm glad you've got the ball rolling! What's interesting is that if they do have the one child incorrect in being over 17, then child support would stop at age 18! I'm sure they would correct then

Since you got a response with your first email, write them again and correct thier error. Do you have any documents, like the original order that states thier correct birthdates?

Good luck, at least you're getting somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ceara
    replied
    I agree with Whyte Noise, CSE couldn't find their *** with both hands and a map. You'l have to stay on top of them. Just make regular follow ups so that the case doesn't have time to works it's way to the bottom of the pile, never to be see again.

Leave a comment:

• Whyte Noise
    replied
    I'd send them a reply stating that their database is incorrect and that only 1 child is over 17. Include a copy of the other 2 children's birth certificates with your letter. Not an actual notarized copy from the vital statistics office, but a simple Xerox copy.

Like I've said before, CSE doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground half the time. You have to try and get any errors corrected as quickly as possible, expecially in this case. With them thinking that 2 of the children are over 17 that means they'd only look at modifying one of the ordersand may possibly not even THINK about the other one since they are under the impression that the other child is also over 17.

Leave a comment:

• disavowed
    replied
    I wanted to post a follow-up on this and will continue to do so as this develops. In the blue is the email I sent to the Chid Support Help Line in Illinois. I also sent the Regional office a letter like it in the mail. In the red is their response. (the ####'s represent the case numbers which I have omitted)

Description of Request: I am writing to you in reference to the following orders to withhold income for child support: Case Numbers ######, ######, and ######. I am currently paying child support on all three cases in an amount that far exceeds my ability to pay. The amounts that were withheld were determined long ago and, to my knowledge, were not based on a formula that considered the other child-support orders that were already in place. The amount is so extreme based on my current pay that it can not be completely paid out of my check. I do not know what the next step is to rectify this situation. I am writing to you to request a review and reduction of my child support. I hope that this is possible, as I am continuing to get even further and further behind in my payments. Please respond to this letter and let me know what I can do to help.

Your inquiry on case ###### has been forwarded to our contact person in the Marion Regional office for handling. In addition,
    your inquiries on cases ###### and ###### have also been forwarded to them to investigate but our database indicates that the children involved in these two cases are over 17 and therefore, ineligible for a modification.

Customer Service Unit/rm
    Division of Child Support Enforcement
    Healthcare and Family Services

Only one of my children is 17. The others are 13 and 5. How could they mess this up when their date of birth is plainly printed on the child support order?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X