Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying too much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paying too much

    Illinois - am I paying too much?
    OK, 3 different children with 3 different ex-wives. The state is taking so much that they are taking the max and still not getting all that I am ordered to pay. I am getting behind because they have it set up individually for each child and not considering the other child support orders I also have to pay. How in the world do I go about fixing this. I can't afford a lawyer. They are taking 50% of my take home pay. HELP!


    -DISAVOWED

  • #2
    Are you sure they did not take the other orders into account? When you have other children, it does lower the child support amount in each individual case. However, it is not a significant amount typically 3-5% on each order. If your garnishments are not enough to cover the full amount, you are responsible for sending in the difference. If you could not afford to support more children, you should not have had them. That's not a personal attack, it's just the way the court is going to look at it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by disavowed
      Illinois - am I paying too much?
      OK, 3 different children with 3 different ex-wives. The state is taking so much that they are taking the max and still not getting all that I am ordered to pay. I am getting behind because they have it set up individually for each child and not considering the other child support orders I also have to pay. How in the world do I go about fixing this. I can't afford a lawyer. They are taking 50% of my take home pay. HELP!


      -DISAVOWED
      You have 2 choices:

      1. You can file modifications of all 3 orders at the same time. This will be the best thing to do IF- you have had the same job since the orders began, or at least earning the same amount. Do you have any kind of proof that one or both of the orders did NOT take into consideration your previous CS orders? If so, that would be a big help. If your income has not decreased, you should be able to get all the orders modified- they will probably still come to at least 50% of your income, but at least you wouldn't be acruing arrears every month.

      2. If modifying the orders isn't possible, then you'll have to get a second or better job.

      Whatever you do, you need to do something now, before the arrears get to be so high that you'll be paying them off when your youngest child turns 30.
      Xena

      Comment


      • #4
        Ok, CEARA I see your point. Now I have another question that may help me understand this. Where did you come up with the 3-5% figure? Where can I look for the formula that is used to figure this out? I have searched numerous online child-support calculators and none of them take into consideration my situation. I would like to know where exactly it is that they formulate all of these payments; especially for someone like me with 1 child each from 3 ex-wives.

        also here is a letter I had put into another forum that may give you all a better idea of what this is all about:

        Let me explain MY situation, and see what you all think. I currently gross only 1200. per month at my current job. I wish I had a better job, but this is the best I can do at the moment. This is what my current child support order is:

        child 1: 260. per month
        child 2: 195. per month
        child 3: 195. per month


        I realize that this is a problem that I have to get remedied, but I don't know how to. I don't know how they figure it so I don't know how to show them what they did wrong.
        Last edited by disavowed; 01-19-2006, 11:50 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          3-5% is just the average from most states. It may not apply to Illinois.

          http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Ch...port/illinois/

          Here is a link to an Illinois child support calculator. Just enter the figures and it will calculate the amounts for you. The first order does seem quite a bit higher than what you should be paying, but that is probably because you only had the one child at the time of the order. The other 2 are a little high too. Use the link above and you can get a much better estimate of what you should be paying.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yep, tried that calculator too, obviously it is only intended to help out the custodial parent figure out what they will be getting, because it doesn't even come close to what I am dealing with. I'm sure it's best for the rest of the women that have to deal with deadbeat dads all the time. Chances of me getting this fixed are probably slim to none as this whole system in our country that governs child support is so outdated and unrealistic. It was primarily based in my opinion on the world my parents lived in; where most women didn't have a way to get as good a job as men did. I guess that was unfair then, so to balance things out, why not make the man have to pay alimony and inflated child support. I'm sure there are cases where a woman is having to go through hell to track down her dead-beat ex to get money. And that is the type of case that will get sympathy, not a case like mine. I have paid the entire time I have been divorced. I didn't hide. I didn't work jobs for cash and not report it. I did everything right, except, I lost a good job I had at the time. So now I have to pay for it for the rest of my life, apparently.

            Comment


            • #7
              Based on $1200 income, your support should be lowered to around $165 per child. It would be even lower if you are paying for insurance.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think you need to get a modification asap. I think you are paying way to much for each child. How do they expect you to live as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Op's figures are based on his high paying gig...not th 1200. He obviously didn't go in for a mod once he lost that job. Therefore the courts will see it as it didn't set him back because he didn't ask for a mod.

                  His chances are slim with it being lowered that much.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it varies

                    Originally posted by disavowed
                    Illinois - am I paying too much?
                    OK, 3 different children with 3 different ex-wives. The state is taking so much that they are taking the max and still not getting all that I am ordered to pay. I am getting behind because they have it set up individually for each child and not considering the other child support orders I also have to pay. How in the world do I go about fixing this. I can't afford a lawyer. They are taking 50% of my take home pay. HELP!


                    -DISAVOWED
                    Well it sounds like alot of money is being takin' away from you, but they take your current living situations into consideration. Like your rent, bills etc. all the necessaties you may have. But it should'nt leave you short handed. You have to live also. My advice to you..........get a second job.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shaynyc
                      Well it sounds like alot of money is being takin' away from you, but they take your current living situations into consideration. Like your rent, bills etc. all the necessaties you may have. But it should'nt leave you short handed. You have to live also. My advice to you..........get a second job.
                      I second that about getting another job. I don't think they take into consideration rent. What if op had a 2000 dollar mortgage? they don't care about his living situations. They want to make sure the kids are taken care of.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tahari
                        I second that about getting another job. I don't think they take into consideration rent. What if op had a 2000 dollar mortgage? they don't care about his living situations. They want to make sure the kids are taken care of.
                        Bottom line is he's not makin' enough money to support himself. What else is he supposed to do? Like you said, the kids have to be takin' care of, but so do he. Right now he's only making enough to support the kids and pay a bill or two. He can have his case re-evaluated, but that don't mean its going to be a change in his favor. That's why it's in his case, a second job won't hurt!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by disavowed
                          Yep, tried that calculator too, obviously it is only intended to help out the custodial parent figure out what they will be getting, because it doesn't even come close to what I am dealing with. I'm sure it's best for the rest of the women that have to deal with deadbeat dads all the time. Chances of me getting this fixed are probably slim to none as this whole system in our country that governs child support is so outdated and unrealistic. It was primarily based in my opinion on the world my parents lived in; where most women didn't have a way to get as good a job as men did. I guess that was unfair then, so to balance things out, why not make the man have to pay alimony and inflated child support. I'm sure there are cases where a woman is having to go through hell to track down her dead-beat ex to get money. And that is the type of case that will get sympathy, not a case like mine. I have paid the entire time I have been divorced. I didn't hide. I didn't work jobs for cash and not report it. I did everything right, except, I lost a good job I had at the time. So now I have to pay for it for the rest of my life, apparently.
                          Well you don't have to pay for it the rest of your life, just until the kids you created turn 18.

                          But, despite your attitude of the typical father-gets-the-crap-end perspective, I will say that I think you are paying way too much.

                          I've never used the Illinois calculator, but for the Utah calculator, based on your income of $1200 per month, and the mother(s) at $0, you would only be paying $176 for one child, and $387 total for 3 children. I don't know why it would differ so much from one state to another. But it would be in your best ineterst to file for a modification asap. It doesn't matter that you didn't file when your income first changed, you can still do it now and get the same results. The support will be based on your income.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shedo
                            Well you don't have to pay for it the rest of your life, just until the kids you created turn 18.

                            But, despite your attitude of the typical father-gets-the-crap-end perspective, I will say that I think you are paying way too much.

                            I've never used the Illinois calculator, but for the Utah calculator, based on your income of $1200 per month, and the mother(s) at $0, you would only be paying $176 for one child, and $387 total for 3 children. I don't know why it would differ so much from one state to another. But it would be in your best ineterst to file for a modification asap. It doesn't matter that you didn't file when your income first changed, you can still do it now and get the same results. The support will be based on your income.
                            2 different states. It doesn't matter what rate it would be in your state. You know this.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I greatly appreciate all the help you are all giving me. Sorry about the attitude I had in that one quote, but I'm sure it's the same attitude most of you have when you are not getting paid what you should be. I have sent a letter to the regional child support office in illinois requesting a review. I am hopeful that this will take care of the problem. I will post everything I can as it unfolds to let you know what happens. Maybe my experience will help others in some way. Again, thank you for all your help. If anyone has any more input I would really appreciate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X