need to know if i can get child support lowered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jebjcjsh View Post

Thank you for that last paragraph. I am glad you reminded me about that. I was thinking they said they didn't do that when I talked to them but I think that was something to do with child support.
    They will help with ALL aspects of family law--custody, child support, visitation. Therefore there is absolutely NO excuse not to go down and get a court order.

Comment

• Originally posted by scrib View Post
      They will help with ALL aspects of family law--custody, child support, visitation. Therefore there is absolutely NO excuse not to go down and get a court order.
      Actually here in my state (Iowa) they do not deal with child support. I had called with questions and they referred me to some lawyer where you can get some kind of a cheap consultation but they dont deal with it there.

Comment

• Well I suggest that you go use that cheap consultation for all its worth. Educate yourself so you can file on your own. If it is for visitation, child support, whichever. Be proactive instead of complain that its not fair. There is no excuse. period. I know, because I am broke and I did it. I learned a whole lot from the family law forums like this one and I did my own research on how to get things done without a lawyer. It wasnt even hard.

Comment

• you are not the child's mother

[QUOTE=tamikng;435877). I Would Love To Take Her To Court After We Get Married Next Year And Get Full Custody Of His Son
          Tami[/QUOTE]

YOU cannot get any kind of custody. you are a legal stranger to this child.and, as another poster stated, he already has a mother, and its not you. and never will be. so get that idea of you being this child's mother out of your head, its not going to happen.

Comment

• Wow, there have been so many posts on this issue. First of all Tami, I also have a fiancee with a little girl, and he pays a lot in CS so I can understand your feelings towards the ex (who uses the $ to get her nails done and to buy a new hot tub, rather than get her daughter's hair cut or buy her new shoes....etc.) and your protectiveness of your boyfriend. However, you need to try to look at the situation objectively. (As hard as that may be)
            The other people were correct that a court order needs to be in place for CS and visitation. But they were also correct that the judge will probably not lower his support based on the fact that you are having another child alone. The court system is NOT always "fair" in our eyes. I'm sure that's something we can all agree on.
            The best thing to do is research. As far as visitation: The fact that you are having another child that will be a brother/sister to his first may get him more parenting time. As far as CS: Your boyfriend's first child deserves to be supported with this money...the mother does not. Maybe you could work things out, for example if the child goes to daycare the check could go directly to them.
            As far as court and being the "girlfriend" getting involved. Do all that you can to help your boyfriend and support him. (Just be sure that more custody of his child is something that he really wants and that it's not just beating her that you want). But my advice is DO NOT get involved with your boyfriend's ex via emails, phone conversations, etc. And in court, sit in the courtroom and do not open your mouth unless the judge asks you a question. Like the one woman stated even if you do all the work and he just signs on the dotted line. Let it come from him. The fact is the judge doesn't care about your opinions and may frown at him if you get too involved.
            Good luck!

Comment

• This is really an old thread so I am going to continue it on a new thread. I actually do not believe Tami is even looking at these since it has been so long since she has posted, but there are some issues which all of you seem to be responding to so I will start a new thread called "Lower Support Continued."

Comment

Working...
              X