Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can he legally take our child? Georgia

Hello,
    I'm new here and really ignorant about these kinds of laws especially in GA. I had my baby in December and the father and I were not married at the time but have since been married. He signed the birth certificate but there was no paternity test. I know he is the father but does he legally have the right to take the child? It looks like I'm at the start of a nasty divorce and he is threatening to take our son back to his hometown while I work. Thanks for any feedback in advance and please let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

You need a custody, visitation and support order. In getting that order ask for ruling on taking the children outside of a certain area for the purpose of changing their residence
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Jlsikes View Post
      Hello,
      I'm new here and really ignorant about these kinds of laws especially in GA. I had my baby in December and the father and I were not married at the time but have since been married. He signed the birth certificate but there was no paternity test. I know he is the father but does he legally have the right to take the child? It looks like I'm at the start of a nasty divorce and he is threatening to take our son back to his hometown while I work. Thanks for any feedback in advance and please let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

Georgia requires a separate legitimization process - has he done this, Mom?

Comment

No, nothing else has been done.

Comment

go to court and file motion for custody and support
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Jlsikes View Post
            No, nothing else has been done.

Then no, he does not actually have equal rights to your child.

File for divorce, and request temporary custody pending a legal finding of paternity and final custody determination.

Comment

Working...
            X