Joint Legal Joint Physcial Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Legal Joint Physcial Utah

Is it possible to have both? Ideally I would think that my soon to be ex and me would work together on the major decisions and we both would share physical custody.

If agreed to before hand is this possible?

The courts love it when parents work together and cooperate with each other!
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agreed. Past that, the courts are tasked to determine what is the best interest of the child (not the best interest of either or both of the parents).
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSiege View Post
        Is it possible to have both? Ideally I would think that my soon to be ex and me would work together on the major decisions and we both would share physical custody.

If agreed to before hand is this possible?

How does your STBX feel about it?

How old is the child?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
          How does your STBX feel about it?

How old is the child?
          I assume these are the same children referenced in prior thread - ages 9 & 2.

ref. http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=282198.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
            I assume these are the same children referenced in prior thread - ages 9 & 2.

ref. http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=282198.

Ah. Thanks, Betty

OP - are you still going to be gone half of the year?

Comment

Ah. Thanks, Betty
              You're welcome. I just remembered seeing the OP's name/thread not too long ago.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

My work situation has been adjusted, I will travel to NV from Utah and work for 4 days. And then travel back to Utah and have 4 days off. Ideally I would get the kids for the days I am in Utah. But the thing I am wondering is, is joint physical and joint legal mutually exclusive? Or could they both be granted? My STBX will more than likely work with me, we have talked about divorce hypothetically, but I haven't told her that I am already planning on it once my work situation is taken care of.

Comment

My work situation has been adjusted, I will travel to NV from Utah and work for 4 days. And then travel back to Utah and have 4 days off. Ideally I would get the kids for the days I am in Utah. But the thing I am wondering is, is joint physical and joint legal mutually exclusive? Or could they both be granted? My STBX will more than likely work with me, we have talked about divorce hypothetically, but I haven't told her that I am already planning on it once my work situation is taken care of.

Joint legal is virtually a given.

Joint physical simply means that you both have some sort of physical custody. If you're asking about a 50/50 timeshare, it's not going to happen with your work schedule unless the ex agrees. Think about it - how is that good for the kids? (Specially the 2 year old).

And honestly? Even if she does agree, there's a better-than-good chance that the judge will not sign off on it given the circumstances.

Comment

Joint legal is virtually a given.

Joint physical simply means that you both have some sort of physical custody. If you're asking about a 50/50 timeshare, it's not going to happen with your work schedule unless the ex agrees. Think about it - how is that good for the kids? (Specially the 2 year old).

And honestly? Even if she does agree, there's a better-than-good chance that the judge will not sign off on it given the circumstances.
                    I'm confused, you are saying that a judge wouldnt want us to have the children an equal amount of time. We both would be living near my sons school.

And why would it be a problem for the 2 year old? I almost 100% sure the EX would be on board with it.

Comment

Shared custody does not have to be 50/50

Comment

I want it to be 50/50 we both made these children we should get equal rights to them.

Comment

You are not paying attention 50/50 custody 60/40 or whatever does give you less rights or say so in childs life. Its about time child spend with each parent.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, but I am saying I would like to see my childs face 50 percent of the time at the very least

Comment

I'm confused, you are saying that a judge wouldnt want us to have the children an equal amount of time. We both would be living near my sons school.

The reality is that 50/50 timeshares are not commonly ordered. It takes exceptional commitment from both parents, and if one of the parent doesn't agree to the proposal, the judge isn't going to order it.

And why would it be a problem for the 2 year old? I almost 100% sure the EX would be on board with it.

Because at 2, the child is not old enough to understand why s/he lives one week with Mom, then one week with Dad - all s/he knows is that suddenly s/he doesn't have access to the other parent.

How is that in the child's best interest?

Remember, this isn't about you. At. All.

Comment

Working...
                              X