No announcement yet.

How do I go about getting custody of my son California

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I go about getting custody of my son California

    My son is 4 yrs old, and I was never married to his father. His fathers name is on the birth certificate, but my son does not live with either of us. When we split I asked the fathers mother to take care of my son until I got on my feet. It has been almost a year, but I am ready for my son now.

    I was wondering if the grandmother has any rights or not. And how do I go about getting the custody process started?

  • #2
    Start here: Learn as much as you can from this book, and if you still need help, you might have to speak with an attorney. Your local courthouse should have forms you can fill out and file.

    Just out of curiosity, have you been visiting the child regularly?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.


    • #3
      Yes, he gets to come stay with me for 2 weeks out of the month. His dad has nothing to do with him.


      • #4
        Did Grandma gain custody through courts?


        • #5
          No, not that I know of. If she did I would have had to been notified right??


          • #6
            If there is no court order then you may take your son whenever you wish


            • #7
              Have you talked to the grandmother? Start there. You have a 4 year old who has already had to deal with the separation of his parents, abandonment of his father, being left with another relative for a year and sporadic contact from you while you get your life together. This kid is going to need some serious help during yet another transition. You are going to need to all work together to make this as painless as possible. I highly recommend you seek the advice of a counselor to guide you all through this situation and come up with a plan to ease the transition based on the child's best interests.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.