Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I counter sue for child support if the child is of age Florida

Here's the story:
    When I was in my early 20's I gave my daughter to my step mom to raise(1993). I moved to Florida and had another child, my daughter moved to Florida with me in 1998. She stayed with me until I married in 2002. I let her back to Maryland with my step mom. My step mom did not ask for child support ever and in 2004 I get served papers to pay support. I was stunned. It turned out that the step mother had a brain tumor and needed would be off work and needed the money. My suggestion was to send my daughter back. That did not happen and I was ordered to pay $400/mo. in support. I was self employed, the father of my child was incarcerated in Maryland but remarried. I currently had 3 more children at home. My daughter turned 18 in 2009 and I was still upside down in support payments. I never recovered financially and am constantly having to pay catch up (Have been to jail on 2 occasions and drivers license suspended a couple times too!). The biggest problem is that I never wanted my daughter to go to Maryland but back in 1993, I was encouraged to sign custody papers and I do not have a copy. I obviously have a strained relationship with my ex-stepmother and she will not release the child support although she knows this is/has always strapped me.
    My question: Can I counter sue my step mother for support from 1998-2002 when my daughter resided with me in Florida? All I want to do is clean the slate with the child support I owe her so I am not constantly under the gun for this support. For the record, my daughter calls me constantly to help her financially but I can't pay support, help her and take care of my 3 other little ones still at home. I feel like I gave up my rights in 1993, never got them back all for the sake of having no confidence to raise a child then...please help!

Ok I am confused you signed custody of your child to your step Mother? Did you release your own rights? Did Father sign? What year?
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
      Ok I am confused you signed custody of your child to your step Mother? Did you release your own rights? Did Father sign? What year?
      I am not sure if I signed over rights and she will not tell me. It was in 1993

Comment

Originally posted by cspoo View Post
        Here's the story:
        When I was in my early 20's I gave my daughter to my step mom to raise(1993). I moved to Florida and had another child, my daughter moved to Florida with me in 1998. She stayed with me until I married in 2002. I let her back to Maryland with my step mom. My step mom did not ask for child support ever and in 2004 I get served papers to pay support. I was stunned. It turned out that the step mother had a brain tumor and needed would be off work and needed the money. My suggestion was to send my daughter back. That did not happen and I was ordered to pay $400/mo. in support. I was self employed, the father of my child was incarcerated in Maryland but remarried. I currently had 3 more children at home. My daughter turned 18 in 2009 and I was still upside down in support payments. I never recovered financially and am constantly having to pay catch up (Have been to jail on 2 occasions and drivers license suspended a couple times too!). The biggest problem is that I never wanted my daughter to go to Maryland but back in 1993, I was encouraged to sign custody papers and I do not have a copy. I obviously have a strained relationship with my ex-stepmother and she will not release the child support although she knows this is/has always strapped me.
        My question: Can I counter sue my step mother for support from 1998-2002 when my daughter resided with me in Florida? All I want to do is clean the slate with the child support I owe her so I am not constantly under the gun for this support. For the record, my daughter calls me constantly to help her financially but I can't pay support, help her and take care of my 3 other little ones still at home. I feel like I gave up my rights in 1993, never got them back all for the sake of having no confidence to raise a child then...please help!

No, you cannot. If you didn't file to have the order modified then, or you didn't file to have custody modified, you can't have it modified retroactively for those dates in this circumstance.

But seriously - your stepmom took care of your child for how many years without asking for support from you?

And it was only when desperately in need of financial help that she DID file against you?

Comment

Working...
        X