Child Support Modification Florida

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Modification Florida

My child support was estabnlished over 3 years ago. My wages are not garnished by the state. It is my responsibility to send my ex a check every month and I have consistently been doing that. My questions are listed below.

1. I was divorced in Orlando and I now live in Miami. Do I need to request a child support modification in the county I filed for divorce in?
    2. Since the judge granted me to pay without garnishment what do I need to do to start the modification?
    3. I speak to my son every night before he goes to bed to say goodnight and say have a nice day at school tomorrow. When my ex is mad at me she will not answer her phone so i can speak to my son. She is not communicating like I want her to. Is there anything I can do legally?

Thanks

File where the order originated.

Florida is very helpful to self-help filers; check with the local court-house and you can get the modification forms pretty easily (if not online).

With regards to telephone visitation, does your court order actually include telephone contact?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
      File where the order originated.

Florida is very helpful to self-help filers; check with the local court-house and you can get the modification forms pretty easily (if not online).

With regards to telephone visitation, does your court order actually include telephone contact?
      Thanks for your reply. The guidelines of our divorce was written up by our mediator after we both agreed to everything. We then went to see a judge and he made it official. There is nothing written up in the order about telephone contact. For years I have called my son every night he is not with me say goodnight. When I have my sone she calls every night to say goodnight. It is something we have both done. But when she is mad at me she won't answer the phone and makes some lame excuse as to why she could not answer the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by formyson View Post
        Thanks for your reply. The guidelines of our divorce was written up by our mediator after we both agreed to everything. We then went to see a judge and he made it official. There is nothing written up in the order about telephone contact. For years I have called my son every night he is not with me say goodnight. When I have my sone she calls every night to say goodnight. It is something we have both done. But when she is mad at me she won't answer the phone and makes some lame excuse as to why she could not answer the phone.

Then legally, she is doing nothing wrong.

You can go back to court and request that specific telephone visitation is ordered. For example, Mom shall make kiddo available for telephone/webcam/skype between the hours of 6-8pm on Tues, Thurs and Sun evenings when the child is not with Dad.

If I may, what is the reason for the CS modification? Were you recently laid off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
          Then legally, she is doing nothing wrong.

You can go back to court and request that specific telephone visitation is ordered. For example, Mom shall make kiddo available for telephone/webcam/skype between the hours of 6-8pm on Tues, Thurs and Sun evenings when the child is not with Dad.

If I may, what is the reason for the CS modification? Were you recently laid off?
          I was laid off back in March of 2011 and have continued to pay the court odered amount. I have paid this amount since hte order was made and I know now that he is 7 years old I pay way too much for one child. I have him every other thurs-sun.

Comment

By all means go ahead and try to modify - the worst that can happen is that it will be denied.

(Though I'm not sure why you think you're paying too much for a 7 year old - were you paying guideline support? Why is his age important?)

Comment

Das ist in der Doktor!

You don't say how long you have been divorced but if a modification is granted, when you get another job a review of that modification may be ordered and your payments could go up.
              It goes without saying it's not cheep to raise a child,
              that might explain some of your ex's grumpiness.

..________________
              ~ Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. ~ Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
                You don't say how long you have been divorced but if a modification is granted, when you get another job a review of that modification may be ordered and your payments could go up.
                It goes without saying it's not cheep to raise a child,
                that might explain some of your ex's grumpiness.

..________________
                ~ Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. ~ Isaac Asimov
                Thanks for the reply. I have been divorced for over 3 years. and the child support was baised on her and my income being hers 42,000 and mine 45,000 per year. I get him every other thurs-Sun and pay $956 per month.

Comment

Has there been a change in circumstance? A modification of support can be made if you cna show the Judge a "change in circumstance" example job lose. Withuot such a change a modificationis unlikely. Why does the child being older mean you should pay less support?
                  http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
                    Has there been a change in circumstance? A modification of support can be made if you cna show the Judge a "change in circumstance" example job lose. Withuot such a change a modificationis unlikely. Why does the child being older mean you should pay less support?
                    Thanks for the reply. I lost my job back in March and I have continued to make the ordered payments. It is geting harder and harder to continue.

Comment

That was almost a year ago! The court will wonder how it was you continued to pay all this time if its such a hardship. I am not saying it wasnt just what court might ask or wonder
                      http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
                        That was almost a year ago! The court will wonder how it was you continued to pay all this time if its such a hardship. I am not saying it wasnt just what court might ask or wonder
                        Thanks for the reply. The answer to that is simple and stupid. I have paid by handing over my unemplyment checks. This has been making me go deeper and deeper into debt with credit cards. I did not think I would be out of work for so long.

Comment

Working...
                        X