Child Support - Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support - Virginia

Me and my EX had broken up before my son was born(Never married). When my son was born, I have always been providing everything when it comes to food and clothing. When my son got older, I have been giving child support to my EX every month. My son is 6 now and I have been always been giving something to help out. But now, according to a colleague of mine, I was told that no matter what I have been giving in the past, it is considered a gift. I do not go through the child support agency or anything, but instead I give money strait to the Mother. My question is:

If ever we go through the Child Support agency, if I have the proof, would there be a way that everything I have been paying for in the past would pay the difference if ever I go through the child support agency? I am new at this and never bothered to ask anything before. I have been paying her about $150.00 a month with money orders, stating its for the support for my son. I don't know how the law works when it comes to a situation like this which is why I am here.

I am no way a dead beat Dad or trying to be one. I am just trying to found out information so I would not be stuck in a situation where all my money and efforts would not end in a waste. Thank you in advanced.

Das ist in der Doktor!

Originally posted by Fitzgera1d View Post
    Me and my EX had broken up before my son was born(Never married). When my son was born, I have always been providing everything when it comes to food and clothing. When my son got older, I have been giving child support to my EX every month. My son is 6 now and I have been always been giving something to help out. But now, according to a colleague of mine, I was told that no matter what I have been giving in the past, it is considered a gift. I do not go through the child support agency or anything, but instead I give money strait to the Mother. My question is:

If ever we go through the Child Support agency, if I have the proof, would there be a way that everything I have been paying for in the past would pay the difference if ever I go through the child support agency? I am new at this and never bothered to ask anything before. I have been paying her about $150.00 a month with money orders, stating its for the support for my son. I don't know how the law works when it comes to a situation like this which is why I am here.

I am no way a dead beat Dad or trying to be one. I am just trying to found out information so I would not be stuck in a situation where all my money and efforts would not end in a waste. Thank you in advanced.
    Unless your friend has a law degree,
    I would suggest you speak with someone who does, an Attorney.
    If I were say anything more than that,
    Im liable to say something that I mean!
    BTW, $150 a month?
    Id say youve gotten by pretty lightly,
    So far.

Comment

Originally posted by drruthless View Post
      Unless your friend has a law degree,
      I would suggest you speak with someone who does, an Attorney.
      If I were say anything more than that,
      I’m liable to say something that I mean!
      BTW, $150 a month?
      I’d say you’ve gotten by pretty lightly,
      So far.

Without a court order - and we don't even know if paternity is legally established at this point - the OP isn't obliged to send one red cent to Mom.

IF he has, then if he can show receipts there IS a possibility the court/CSE will credit the amount to any arrears owed once the child support actually gets ordered.

Comment

Working...
      X