Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about non-custodial father taking kids out of state for 6 months - Michigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about non-custodial father taking kids out of state for 6 months - Michigan

My boyfriend and I decided to end things about 2 months ago. We were together for 7 years and have 2 kids together, ages 2 and 5. I (the mother) have provided all the support over the time, while he stayed home to watch the kids. I always worked, bought a house in my name, car in my name, provided all the support for everyone etc.

Since the split, he has been living with me, due to not having a job, money, car etc to get out and live on his own. We have no family here to help us. Due to my company closing in June, I am facing foreclosure on my house but trying to work out a solution with the bank.

Since there are not an abundance of jobs in Michigan currently, and his lack of work experience, it makes it difficult for him to find a job and wage he can survive on. He is only 22 and worked for about 3 months at Walmart in 2007.

We are talking about him moving to Maine with his family including Mom, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, Brothers, Sisters etc. so that he can go to school and learn a trade to have more employment opportunities.

Due to me not having any help for the kids here in Michigan, and not being able to afford daycare on my own to be able to work, I am thinking about letting him take the kids to Maine with his family until June of next year, which would give me time to get back on my feet, and get some money saved up.

Per Michigan law, since we were unmarried when the kids were born, I have full custody, but he is listed as the father.

If I allow him to take the kids until June, I do not want him to be able to say I abandoned them and try to take custody of them. I don't think he would do this, but I want to cover myself just in case. I would prefer it not to have to be a court issue as well. We agree on everything including child support.

If I allow the kids to go there with him for 6 months, does it affect custody in anyway? Can I simply come up with a written agreement that we both sign and notarize protecting myself?

It's really not a custody arrangement, but more of me letting them go there to visit their family for a few months since they hardly see the kids, and I need to get back on my feet and get back to work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, as I ran into a similar problem, I have found some interesting things. Residence is established after 6 months of living somewhere(in most states), so if he were to take them, he could file for domicile in Maine after six months of living there.

Best suggestion, contact your friend of the court and establish visitation guidelines(who the kids are with when) so you don't get suprised later on. Also. Michigan has many "family law" free classes on drafting papers like the visitation agreements, so you might look into those if you don't have the $$ to hire a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipthehippo View Post
      Well, as I ran into a similar problem, I have found some interesting things. Residence is established after 6 months of living somewhere(in most states), so if he were to take them, he could file for domicile in Maine after six months of living there.

Best suggestion, contact your friend of the court and establish visitation guidelines(who the kids are with when) so you don't get suprised later on. Also. Michigan has many "family law" free classes on drafting papers like the visitation agreements, so you might look into those if you don't have the $$ to hire a lawyer.

It's been over a year since OP was here. It's not likely s/he will return.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
        It's been over a year since OP was here. It's not likely s/he will return.
        I believe there was a post/reply previously in regard to phillipthehippo's post of 11-16. There is currently a problem with the forum & all old threads/posts/replies after 11-16
        are not currently showing up.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
        X