Need custody advice West Virginia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need custody advice West Virginia

My 19 year old daughter and her 20 year old ex had a baby girl who will be one year old this month. She recieved papers yesterday where he has filed for custody, citing that the child is in imminent danger because of abuse or neglect (such a total lie). Does she need to counter file or something? Also, does she have to get a lawyer or can she go to court without one? He was arrested in March in Virginia for an incident related to a meth binge but I am not sure what they charged him with. Can we legally obtain the arrest report or the criminal history to use in court or do we have to have a lawyer for that? Also, he was taken to the emergency room due to a crack addiction (I know I was there). Is there any way that we can obtain those records? I know that him and his family will try to pull every trick there is to get custody of this baby. Please help! By the way my daughter is not on drugs and they really don't have anything concrete to use on her other than their lies.

You need to retain an attorney. Going into court in a situation such as this without one could easily turn out to be disasterous.

I rarely say a lawyer is a must, but when it comes to the welfare of a one year old child...it is necessary.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
      You need to retain an attorney. Going into court in a situation such as this without one could easily turn out to be disasterous.

I rarely say a lawyer is a must, but when it comes to the welfare of a one year old child...it is necessary.
      Could someone give me a ballpark figure as to how much this will cost? I am disabled and my daughter is going to school. We don't have a lot of money

Comment

Originally posted by sicktodeath View Post
        Could someone give me a ballpark figure as to how much this will cost? I am disabled and my daughter is going to school. We don't have a lot of money
        If $$$ is an issue I would recommend searching for legal aid services in your area. I know nothing about what services they offer, but hopefully they can help you and your daughter.
        Last edited by CatBert; 07-13-2010, 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling...damn keyboard!
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Yankee Stadium ?

Originally posted by sicktodeath View Post
          There could be so many variables there is really is no way to give you a ballpark figure.
          An attorney should be better able to give you an idea, but I’d be cautious of one who quotes you a flat fee.

..______________________
          ~ There are reasons.
          There are explanations,
          And there are excuses.
          One is the truth
          and out of the remaining two,
          One is just a slightly better lie than the other…

Comment

Working...
          X