Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please Ohio

Hello,
    First i guess im just looking for advice about how i would be able to see my son. When his mother and i were together while she was pregnant she broke off our relationship (unmarried) and basically ended communication with me. I ended up through hear-say finding out that my son was born and i immediately went to her parents house where i found out she was staying with money to help out as i could. During the time i was able to see my son regularly for around 2 weeks. after that she and i had tried to work on our relationship again and it ended up not working. At that point it seemed like when she was around someone talking to me and id ask to be able to come to see my son (i lived in Bedford Hts and she lived in Cuyahoga Falls so there was a distance gap between us) she would say yes and to call me so before i headed that way the following day to make sure that shes there when i got there. When id try to call her i wouldnt get an answer etc so she'd dodge my calls when id attempt to see him. I ended up having to move a couple times as finding a job was rough a couple of years of not being able to contact her had passed and i was completely ignorant on knowing what i could do and i ended up moving up to alaska which i am at now. My son turns 4 on august 1st and i havnt seen him since he was a month old. Ok sorry for the long backstory but i figured it could be helpful.

I had recently contacted my CSEA caseworker in an attempt to get a number to contact her for possibly seeing pictures or talking to him. Every number or contact i have for her she is ignoring (myspace/facebook etc) I have put in for an Information disclosure form and she has until July 30 to respond and release her contact information to me. My record is clean and i have done nothing to her that would allow her to deny the request (or so i am told) So my main question is I would like to see my son but the distance between us is major. I was told by my caseworker that in some cases the child can be flown to the non custodial parent for visitations to which im sure is very dependent on quite a few things. His young age i was also told would play a factor in this as well. The problem is i don't know where to even start as my caseworker told me its not the CSEA's area and its handled by the court systems.

Thanks in advance to anything you guys can do to assist me or point me in the right direction as i would really love to see my son again and have him know me I pay child support and im not a druggy or violent person i have a perfect criminal record and i even pay my taxes if that counts for anything.

Das ist in der Doktor!

Speaking with an attorney would probably be your best bet
    Many offer a free first time consultation
    Good luck..

..______________________
    ~ Helping rid the world of stupidity,
    starting with my own..

Comment

Based on your post it seems you never signed the AOP or Birth Certificte. If that is the case you ar enot the child's legal Father and have no rights
      http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agree - essentially, the fact that your name isnít on the birth certificate/you didn't sign the birth cert. means you have no legal rights over your son unless his mother allows it.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Your first step needs to be to file to establish paternity and child support.

You also need to know that no way your son is going to be put on a plane at 4 years old to see you in Alaska. A more likely scenario is that you will have to travel to where he is to visit with him, until he is MUCH older. Due to the fact that you are a stranger to the child, you will most likely have to go through a phase of supervised visitation before unsupervised visitation would be allowed. This is not because of anything to do with you, just because of the fact that it's unsettling to a child to be sent off to spend a significant amount of time with an adult they don't know, with no familiar faces around. It's better for the kid to get to know you and get comfortable with you before he's alone with you, and the court will try to do what is best for your son. Assuming that your visitations would be infrequent because of the distance, it's likely that supervised visitations will go on longer than they otherwise would, because it takes more time to establish a bond when you can't see each other as much.

Comment

You can go through the court system to see about exercising/obtaining paternity rights - otherwise, you have no legal rights in regard to the child.

You might want to talk to a lawyer.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Working...
            X