X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShannonMichelle
    started a topic Paternity / Rights to child Arizona

Paternity / Rights to child Arizona

My son's father and I have recently ended our 11 and 1/2 year relationship. He is on the birth certificate and signed the hospital paternity paperwork but is not his biological father. My son turned 10 in April. What rights does he have to our son as far as paternity, visitation, etc?

We found out in 2008 that he was not his biological father but remained living together as a family until last week.

If he's removed from the birth certificate, will visitation still be granted or will I be obligated to pay him child support if so?

Will either of us be obligated to pay support to one another for our son or provide medical/dental insurance? We can both provide the insurance coverage but I'm specifically interested in what happens if his dad is removed from the birth certificate, if this is even possible. His father feels that he should be removed from the birth certificate in case I decide to seek child support, should something happen with my employment. I have no problem granting the request if this is what he prefers but would like to know what might happen in this instance.

Our child knows his father is not his biological father (as much as a 10 year old can understand) but I have no wish to contact his biological father.

• CatBert
    replied
    A ten year bond is going to be more important than anything a piece of paper states.

Leave a comment:

• Dogmatique
    replied
    Originally posted by ShannonMichelle View Post
    My son's father and I have recently ended our 11 and 1/2 year relationship. He is on the birth certificate and signed the hospital paternity paperwork but is not his biological father. My son turned 10 in April. What rights does he have to our son as far as paternity, visitation, etc?

We found out in 2008 that he was not his biological father but remained living together as a family until last week.

If he's removed from the birth certificate, will visitation still be granted or will I be obligated to pay him child support if so?

Will either of us be obligated to pay support to one another for our son or provide medical/dental insurance? We can both provide the insurance coverage but I'm specifically interested in what happens if his dad is removed from the birth certificate, if this is even possible. His father feels that he should be removed from the birth certificate in case I decide to seek child support, should something happen with my employment. I have no problem granting the request if this is what he prefers but would like to know what might happen in this instance.

Our child knows his father is not his biological father (as much as a 10 year old can understand) but I have no wish to contact his biological father.

It's too late to change your minds now. Your son has a legal father, and frankly the time in which paternity could have been challenged has long since passed.

Dad has every right to seek custody, visitation and child support from you and vice versa.

Was the biological father ever aware of the possibility he could be a father?

Leave a comment:

• panther10758
    replied
    Backdoor adoption

What you did is commonly called at "Back door Adoption" You made this man this child's legal Father! Its cruel that either or you would wish to relieve this man of that 10 years later! However you cant remove his name from BC unless real Father is found.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X