myth buster=] New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myth buster=] New York

The other day i asked my 18 years boyfriend to live with me i am now 19. He lives in Arizona but he is from new york. So after trying to convince his mother to let him go his father calls and tells him that he cant and he says that the reason why is that " a child is still the responsibility of his parents until the age of 21 if the parents are separated" i really do NOT believe that this is true. can any one give me some help and insight about this. I am a criminal justice major and i really do not think this is true HELP!!!!!

It may be true for purposes of custody and child support.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by lymedina07 View Post
      The other day i asked my 18 years boyfriend to live with me i am now 19. He lives in Arizona but he is from new york. So after trying to convince his mother to let him go his father calls and tells him that he cant and he says that the reason why is that " a child is still the responsibility of his parents until the age of 21 if the parents are separated" i really do NOT believe that this is true. can any one give me some help and insight about this. I am a criminal justice major and i really do not think this is true HELP!!!!!
      While it is true that CS in NY typically goes to age 21, the fact is that your BF is now a legal adult.
      He can move if he wishes. Of course, when he does, he is giving up his right to be supported by his parents. As soon as he moves, whichever of his parents is paying court ordered CS will have the right to file to terminate the CS order.

Comment

Originally posted by lymedina07 View Post
        18 years boyfriend... responsibility of his parents
        if he is incapable of providing for himself then I suggest he stay at home. If the father is trying to state "I still pay child support and i don't want him running off to NY with it" then let him know that he doesn't have to provide for your bf anymore, get the paperwork done and move on.

Comment

Working...
        X