over state lines Illinois Missouri

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over state lines Illinois Missouri

This is completely hypothetical, I know someone who MAY end up in this case, and I don't know what to tell them.

We've discussed on this site several times that children cannot be removed from the state. In anyone's experience, does this play out differently in bi-state areas, for example, the St. Louis area.

If a baby is born in St. Louis (to unwed parents, but we will assume that leagal paternity has been established), and the mother wishes to move to herself and the baby back to her family home on the Illinois side (but in the St. Louis area), there's no special consideration for how close it is, correct? Mom can still be ordered to return the child to the jurisdiction?

It seems like an obvious question, I just wanted other thoughts...

Thanks.

Originally posted by MomofBoys View Post
    This is completely hypothetical, I know someone who MAY end up in this case, and I don't know what to tell them.

We've discussed on this site several times that children cannot be removed from the state. In anyone's experience, does this play out differently in bi-state areas, for example, the St. Louis area.

If a baby is born in St. Louis (to unwed parents, but we will assume that leagal paternity has been established), and the mother wishes to move to herself and the baby back to her family home on the Illinois side (but in the St. Louis area), there's no special consideration for how close it is, correct? Mom can still be ordered to return the child to the jurisdiction?

It seems like an obvious question, I just wanted other thoughts...

Thanks.
    I'm not sure of the correct answer. But, usually in a situation like that the actual distance is more important than the state, as long as there isn't anyone contesting the jurisdiction of the court.

If the person you are asking for does find herself/himself in that situation it would be well worth the small cost of a consult with a local attorney to make sure.

Comment

Working...
    X