X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashley_Mae
    started a topic Child Struggle Georgia

Child Struggle Georgia

My son is 28 months old. I was married in August of 2008 to someone who is not his biological father, but has been there for my son since he was six weeks old. As to the biological father he has not seen, spoken, called, or asked about his son since December 21, 2007. I have never denied him visits or ever wanted to, who wants to explain to their child when they are older that they chose for their father and him not to have a relationship. I did not want to be the bad guy. But now my husband and I would like to have him adopt our son. We've spoken to the biological father and he has not agreed to relinquish rights, but he hasn't payed child support either. We would apply for for abandonment but he is in the Army, deployed, and the military does not allow for preceedings to take place while the person is not in the states. What I want is for my husband to adopt him. Is there anything that can be done?

I just don't want something to happen to me and then my husband have to fight to keep his son from a stranger.

• xena
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashley_Mae View Post
    My son is 28 months old. I was married in August of 2008 to someone who is not his biological father, but has been there for my son since he was six weeks old. As to the biological father he has not seen, spoken, called, or asked about his son since December 21, 2007. I have never denied him visits or ever wanted to, who wants to explain to their child when they are older that they chose for their father and him not to have a relationship. I did not want to be the bad guy. But now my husband and I would like to have him adopt our son. We've spoken to the biological father and he has not agreed to relinquish rights, but he hasn't payed child support either. We would apply for for abandonment but he is in the Army, deployed, and the military does not allow for preceedings to take place while the person is not in the states. What I want is for my husband to adopt him. Is there anything that can be done?

I just don't want something to happen to me and then my husband have to fight to keep his son from a stranger.
    You are correct, while the father is deployed there cannot be any litigation.

However, as soon as he returns, you can file to establish paternity and CS. Sometimes when a father realizes that he'll have to pay CS it can make them rethink and allow the adoption to take place.

Since you cannot do anything until dad has returned, now would be a good time to get a consult with a local adoption attorney so that you will know what steps to take.

Leave a comment:

• Alice Dodd
    replied
    Laws allow for child support to be garnished for military personnel. Getting that rolling might motivate the dad to voluntarily sign the adoption papers. Even if you don't need the money, the child has a right to being supported by its father. Put in a college fund for the kid if you don't need it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X