Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALIFORNIA-Child Support Order/Support Issues California

Ok, here is the gist:
    My boyfriend just got a call from the county child support support services office, saying a case was opened up (by his ex wife) and that all the formal papaerwork shoudl arrive within a few days, and it was just a courtesy call.

This is the situation:
    My boyfriend is unemployed, working on General Assistance (pay for welfare program in San Francisco). He only earns 340 a month. He is also on Foodstamps.
    During the marriage- he supported his family, and raised his daughter. When his wife cheated and he left, his daughter remained with mom.
    There were NO formal agreements made in court regarding child support or custody or alimony when they divorced.
    Until this phone call...4.5 years after the divorce was finalized.

My question(s) is: is he just an entitled to receive child support if he secures his daughter into his care?
    Is he even granted custody without an income?
    Would he be forced to pay child support and or alimony even though he received only 340 a month?

Also- Mom lives with grandma, and grandma has a drinking problem. Mom has unfavorable drug use history prior to daughter being born.
    Mom is also seeing a man who is convincing her to move to L.A. (we are in SF), and possibly remarry.
    Not sure if these matter in wellbeing of daughter (who is almost 8).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by IsisnOsiris View Post
    Ok, here is the gist:
    My boyfriend just got a call from the county child support support services office, saying a case was opened up (by his ex wife) and that all the formal papaerwork shoudl arrive within a few days, and it was just a courtesy call.

This is the situation:
    My boyfriend is unemployed, working on General Assistance (pay for welfare program in San Francisco). He only earns 340 a month. He is also on Foodstamps.
    During the marriage- he supported his family, and raised his daughter. When his wife cheated and he left, his daughter remained with mom.
    There were NO formal agreements made in court regarding child support or custody or alimony when they divorced.
    Until this phone call...4.5 years after the divorce was finalized.

My question(s) is: is he just an entitled to receive child support if he secures his daughter into his care?
    Is he even granted custody without an income?
    Would he be forced to pay child support and or alimony even though he received only 340 a month?

Also- Mom lives with grandma, and grandma has a drinking problem. Mom has unfavorable drug use history prior to daughter being born.
    Mom is also seeing a man who is convincing her to move to L.A. (we are in SF), and possibly remarry.
    Not sure if these matter in wellbeing of daughter (who is almost 8).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    He's not getting custody of his daughter. It's been 4.5 years and he has been fine with that arrangement.

He is just as legally responsible to support their child as Mom. At the least, he will be paying the state mandated minimum. If it is found that he is purposely underemployed or unemployed an income will be imputed for him.

Where Mom lives and with whom is irrelevant. It does not lessen his responsibility to contribute to the support of the child. Mom's drug using past is just that....the past. It has NOTHING to do with now.

If there are no court orders spelling out custody/visitation, Mom can move with the child wherever she wants. If there are, Dad needs to refer to his custody order for insight as to whether or not Mom may move the child for SF to LA.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Working...
    X