Mother wanting to give up Custody... Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother wanting to give up Custody... Texas

Yesterday my daughter's mother asked me if I wanted custody our daughter. Since I do, I was wondering what is the best way to go about getting custody. My daughter is only 2 months old and the child support we filed doesn't start until Arpil, 1. My daughter lives in Texas and I live in New York. Is there anything I can tell my daughter's mom to do if she is serious about giving me custody? Do I need to get a lawyer if she is willing to give up custody? If there anything I can start here in New York without having to fly down there immediately?
    Last edited by nydad; 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM.

Originally posted by nydad View Post
    Yesterday my daughter's mother asked me if I wanted custody our daughter. Since I do, I was wondering what is the best way to go about getting custody. My daughter is only 2 months old and the child support we filed doesn't start until Arpil, 1. My daughter lives in Texas and I live in New York. Is there anything I can tell my daughter's mom to do if she is serious about giving me custody? Do I need to get a lawyer if she is willing to give up custody? If there anything I can start here in New York without having to fly down there immediately?
    Which state issued the CS order?

You should file in that state, because you will also need to modify the CS order when changing custody.

Comment

You need a lawyer down there who can help you file appropriately without your having to be present until necessary...

I would also like to recommend that you not wait if you want custody. Mothers who are willing to give up custody (especially of such a young child) are often prone to changing their minds... If you don't act quickly, you may miss your chance.

God bless,
      Amy

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Working...
        X